News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Existing urban freeways that would not even be considered now

Started by ARMOURERERIC, July 19, 2013, 09:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on July 28, 2013, 01:08:12 AM
QuoteThe college basketball team there actually plays very little of a role in my dislike for the city and its culture.

I was referring more to your rural/urban bias than to a certain university...

Yep. I don't like crowds and I don't like traffic jams. Two things that are inherent in bigger cities. I get frustrated on Friday afternoons in the little town of 2,500 where I work because traffic often backs up on KY 15.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Duke87 on July 28, 2013, 10:31:49 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 28, 2013, 03:13:30 AM
Even in Los Angeles, much denounced by the Smart Growth industry, has a de-facto urban growth boundary to its north in the Los Padres and Angeles National Forests.

Which is caused even without that land being national forest by the fact that it's very mountainous. Can't make urban out of mountains.

Not so sure about that (in Maryland, such proposals would be summarily dismissed by those that approve development, but not so in California). 

I am not an architect (and I don't know how they do it or even how they get building approvals), but there are plenty of homes within the corporate limits of the City of Los Angeles, as well as other parts of Southern California that are built on so-called "steep slopes."  Consider a lot of the development in the Hollywood Hills near the Hollywood sign.  And there's plenty of steep slope development in Pasadena overlooking the Rose Bowl.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.