News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 425 in LA

Started by Grzrd, November 16, 2010, 03:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Not only is US 425 in Louisiana an x25 that is nowhere near US 25, but it is also about to be all 4-laned up with nowhere to go.  LA points finger at AR, of course.  Ahhhh, neighbors: http://www.bastropenterprise.com/news/x1615406910/Ark-has-no-plans-to-continue-U-S-425-improvement-project

codyg1985

Is US 425 in LA being widened to interstate standards?

I don't see the point in the choosing of US 425 myself...
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 24, 2010, 08:46:56 AM
Is US 425 in LA being widened to interstate standards?

US 425 will be four lane divided highway without access control, with four to five lane undivided urban sections through developed areas (towns), except Bastrop where the route utilizes one way couplets. The portion from Rayville south to Vidalia is already completed to this standard. The section from Rayville to Bastrop via Mer Rouge is not slated for improvement under the TIMED program which is funding the improvements from Bastrop north to the Arkansas border.

froggie

As I recall, there are also one-way couplets in Clayton, Sicily Island, and Rayville.

cjk374

About the only thing the "highway to nowhere" fixed and made right was the junction with the Huttig Highway (I think it is LA 143? If I'm wrong, lemme know).  Before it was US 425, it was LA 139.  Even the milemarkers on the US 425 are a continuance of the currently existing LA 139.  How did they route US 425 from Bastrop to Rayville?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Anthony_JK

LA 139??  I thought that it was LA 137.

US 165 between Monroe and Mer Rouge/Bastrop was originally included in the TIMED projects, but not US 425.

There still is a plan of extending the I-530 freeway south beyond its proposed endpoint of proposed I-69 to connect with I-20 in Monroe, but I don't know whether it involves upgrading US 425 or building a new alignment.

Anthony

bassoon1986

it's both 137 and 139. 137 was/is the highway from Archibald up thru Rayville and 139 was the old Monroe to Bastrop highway that used to continue towards Hamburg Arkansas. It got truncated in the square in Bastrop when 425 came thru

Grzrd

Morehouse Parish officials in Louisiana are hoping that the construction of I-69 around Monticello (which begins today) will result in increased traffic for US 425:
http://www.bastropenterprise.com/news/x1439481320/Work-starts-today-on-I-69-in-Arkansas

An Arkansas project to begin the first phase of Interstate 69 construction could be good for the Morehouse Parish economy as it may increase traffic on U.S. 425 between Monticello, Ark. and Monroe.
Glenn Bollick, spokesman with the Arkansas Department of Highways and Transportation, said a ground-breaking ceremony will be held today for the first step in Arkansas' part of the future interstate.
"We're doing what is locally referred to as the "˜Monticello Bypass,'"  said Bollick. "This is our first I-69 construction project in Arkansas, and it will connect with [U.S.] 425."  ...
The Monticello Bypass is within the U.S. 65-82 SIU, with the first phase of construction to be grading and structural work of the eastern segment from U.S. 425 south of Monticello to U.S. 278 east. Southern Industrial Contractors of Rayville will build two lanes of what will become the four-lane interstate. No completion date has been estimated.
The beginning of I-69 in Arkansas coincides with the final stages of the Louisiana TIMED Project to four-lane U.S. 425 between Bastrop and the Arkansas line.
Morehouse Economic Development Corp. CEO Kay King said the project will be an economic plus, both in the near and distant futures.
"I think it will definitely be good for Morehouse Parish,"  she said. "The main highway out of Monticello to Monroe is [U.S.] 425. And the construction of I-69 will put us within fifty miles of another interstate, which will be good in the future. We might not get a spur right away, but I think it will increase travel through our area."
In 2008, the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development and the AHTD held public meetings in Bastrop and Crossett on a proposed corridor that would connect I-20 in Louisiana to the I-69 extension near Monticello. The proposed routes for a corridor through northeast Louisiana were through Beekman and Perryville to meet I-20 at Monroe and through Mer Rouge and Oak Ridge to meet I-20 at Rayville.
Louisiana DOTD District 5 Engineer Administrator Marshall Hill said the proposed northeast corridor has been supplanted by a planned route on SIU 14 that will go from I-69 in Arkansas down through Haynesville and link to I-20 near Minden.

Grzrd

Although the ceremony was not for an interstate opening, LaDOTD held a ribbon-cutting yesterday for the final section of US 425 to complete the four-laning of the Lake Charles to Arkansas corridor:

... One of the final projects in the $936 million U.S. 165 TIMED corridor improvement program was made official Friday at a ribbon cutting in northern Bastrop.
According to Department of Transportation and Development Secretary Sherri H. LeBas, the completion of U.S. 425 from Bastrop to Log Cabin, just north of Bastrop, widens 220 miles of U.S. 165 to four lanes from Lake Charles to the Arkansas state line ....
"What's really significant about it is its the last piece to complete the corridor of U.S. 165 and U.S 425 from Lake Charles to the state line," LeBas said. "People will be able to get from southern Louisiana to northern Louisiana and vice versa quicker and safer."
LeBas said DOTD officials hoped the final piece will promote economic expansion as well as the movement of goods and services.
U.S. 165 turns into U.S. 425 in Bastrop. The $31.8 million U.S. 425 project widened the highway from two to four lanes.
LeBas said the remaining work is the $82.9 million Fort Buhlow Bridge project, near Alexandria, to be completed in 2014. The project has been in the making more than 20 years. The start date for the first segment of U.S. 165 was in October 1991 (Woodworth to Louisiana 488). The TIMED improvements were constructed in 28 separate projects. Work on the final portion of U.S. 165, widening 5.9 miles of U.S. 425 from Bastrop to Log Cabin, began in July 2008 ....
DOTD officials said U.S. 165 is a vital corridor providing access to Interstate 10 in Lake Charles, Interstate 49 in Alexandria and Interstate 20 in Monroe. Widening the segment benefits major industries such as DG Foods, Jireh Plastic & Assemblies and Morehouse General Hospital, and will attract new business ....

Anthony_JK

I have a fiendish idea...how about we extend the TIMED tax and use the proceeds to help fund the rest of I-49 North and I-49 South, I-69, and I-10 through Baton Rouge??

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 15, 2012, 12:26:42 AM
I have a fiendish idea...how about we extend the TIMED tax and use the proceeds to help fund the rest of I-49 North and I-49 South, I-69, and I-10 through Baton Rouge??
It's only fiendish while Bobby Jindal is your governor.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.