AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Tennessee  (Read 330617 times)

Rothman

• Last Login: February 29, 2024, 11:34:55 PM
Re: Tennessee
« Reply #700 on: February 29, 2024, 06:09:12 PM »

Tennessee is finally eliminating the 65 mph / 55 mph truck speed limit on I-81 south of Bristol. The speed limit will be increased next week to 70 mph for all vehicles.

https://x.com/marknagitdot/status/1763201428124815823

It was all done in an effort to get the air quality in EPA compliance for the metro areas where it wasn’t in compliance.  Knoxville, Chattanooga, and Memphis metro areas also had these ridiculous speed limit decreases, while Nashville instead expanded emissions testing to the outlying counties so their speed limits never went down from 70 to 65 once you entered an outlying county.  I know that Metro Knoxville has raised their limits back to 70, but I can’t remember whether or not Chattanooga or Memphis have done the same.
*citation needed*
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

wriddle082

• Give 'em the BIDNESS!

• Last Login: Today at 12:30:28 AM
Re: Tennessee
« Reply #701 on: February 29, 2024, 07:21:00 PM »

Tennessee is finally eliminating the 65 mph / 55 mph truck speed limit on I-81 south of Bristol. The speed limit will be increased next week to 70 mph for all vehicles.

https://x.com/marknagitdot/status/1763201428124815823

It was all done in an effort to get the air quality in EPA compliance for the metro areas where it wasn’t in compliance.  Knoxville, Chattanooga, and Memphis metro areas also had these ridiculous speed limit decreases, while Nashville instead expanded emissions testing to the outlying counties so their speed limits never went down from 70 to 65 once you entered an outlying county.  I know that Metro Knoxville has raised their limits back to 70, but I can’t remember whether or not Chattanooga or Memphis have done the same.
*citation needed*
:rolleyes:
Here’s an article from way back in the dark ages of 2007 when our economy started to go in the s*****r and they first implemented these ridiculous speed limit reductions that have been universally ignored:

https://www.ccjdigital.com/business/article/14905129/i-81-speed-limit-drops-in-east-tennessee

TDOT’s news release archive only goes back to 2015 so I can’t find any specific articles from them about it, but I do remember them having press releases back then about the speed limit lowering in Memphis, Chattanooga, and Knoxville metros, and I suppose Tri-Cities was included as well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.