News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Quote from: wriddle082 on July 02, 2018, 11:43:22 PM
Ok so did NCDOT decide NOT to suspend unnecessary lane closures during this holiday week like SCDOT and other state DOTs have wisely chosen to do?  I got stuck on 77 north in Uptown Charlotte briefly tonight for the usual overnight 3-lane closure that I usually beat every night, which I was not expecting.  Or is this project exempt due to the fact that this stretch of 77 was sold out in the name of private toll revenue?

NCDOT's holiday suspension of road closures begins today - https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=15430

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 03, 2018, 06:14:46 AM
Ok so did NCDOT decide NOT to suspend unnecessary lane closures during this holiday week like SCDOT and other state DOTs have wisely chosen to do?  I got stuck on 77 north in Uptown Charlotte briefly tonight for the usual overnight 3-lane closure that I usually beat every night, which I was not expecting.  Or is this project exempt due to the fact that this stretch of 77 was sold out in the name of private toll revenue?

NCDOT's holiday suspension of road closures begins today - https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=15430

Stopping projects for only July 3-5 is pretty useless, since the majority of people are traveling the weekends before and after. I-26 was backed up six miles from Columbus into South Carolina last Saturday due to a lane closure.

wdcrft63

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on July 04, 2018, 07:12:50 AM
Quote from: Mapmikey on July 03, 2018, 06:14:46 AM

Stopping projects for only July 3-5 is pretty useless, since the majority of people are traveling the weekends before and after. I-26 was backed up six miles from Columbus into South Carolina last Saturday due to a lane closure.
This is an unfortunate consequence of the Fourth falling on a Wednesday. NCDOT doesn't want to stop construction for the whole week and both weekends: that would be a big hole in construction time right in the middle of the season. .

LM117

A public meeting is being held near La Grange on July 10 to discuss widening US-258 between the Harvey Parkway and Browntown Road.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=15452

Also, a contract has been awarded to replace the NC-42 bridge over the Tar River in Edgecombe County. Completion set for 2020.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=15453

LM117

NCDOT is holding public meetings on July 10 & 11 to discuss improvements to NC-54 between US-15/501 in Chapel Hill and NC-55 in Durham.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=15418

Meanwhile in the Charlotte metro, NCDOT & NCTA are holding meetings on July 25 & 26 to discuss the proposed express lanes for I-485 between I-77 near Pineville and US-74 (Independence Blvd).

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=15461

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: LM117 on July 09, 2018, 11:13:03 PM
NCDOT is holding public meetings on July 10 & 11 to discuss improvements to NC-54 between US-15/501 in Chapel Hill and NC-55 in Durham.

I didn't know US 54 got extended to North Carolina.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

sparker

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 10, 2018, 01:16:24 PM

Just an error in the press release; happens all the time regardless of jurisdiction!  Such paper errors can be expected -- now errors in field signage -- that's another story altogether (and, again, something that seems to happen everywhere periodically).  Sometimes good for a laugh, sometimes really pathetic (or both). 

ARMOURERERIC

Any guidance yet as to what projects may advance due to the bond bill passing?

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on July 10, 2018, 04:14:02 PM
Any guidance yet as to what projects may advance due to the bond bill passing?

I think they've been gradually adding more projects to the State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) in anticipation of this passing. I'm not sure that there will be any set list or an announcement of accelerated projects, but who knows.

STIP Revisions offer some hints at projects getting accelerated. Some additions for July 2018 include around $55 million (or more) in pavement rehabilitation projects for the high priority future I-87 through nowhere. Total additions are $297 million (if I'm interpreting this correctly).

I've been keeping my fingers crossed that the rest of the US 74 Shelby bypass will get accelerated instead of waiting another three years to start the last sections. But I don't think NCDOT wants to establish a new status quo by actually finishing a large project in WNC in less than a decade. The contract for the current section under construction (C) is 5.5 years for 4.8 miles of highway, and the contract doesn't even include paving. That's ridiculous. Of course if Shelby was between Raleigh and the beach it would have been built 20 years ago.

wdcrft63

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 10, 2018, 01:16:24 PM

Apparently this is a "give us your ideas" session and it's not clear what ideas NCDOT is considering. It's obvious that NC 54 needs to be widened to 6 lanes throughout; is that in prospect? The interchanges at US 15/501 and at I-40 are grossly inadequate and it's not clear if NCDOT is willing to spend the big bucks that it would take to improve them.

wdcrft63

NCDOT has decided that its proposed 4-laning of NC 55 in Harnett County (south of Raleigh) will include a bypass of Angier.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-07-09-alternative-for-the-n-c--55-widening-in-wake-harnett-selected.aspx

bob7374

NCDOT has revamped its website, adding many more images, bigger fonts and upgraded graphics (a photo of an I-73 shield is now used to access their real-time traffic information). They've even revised their project listing page adding bigger maps. The problem is, they have not updated the information on the new pages which includes the new pages for construction of now completed projects. The Greensboro Loop page map shows the route both north of US 70 to US 29 and Bryan Blvd to US 220 as still under construction. The Winston-Salem Beltway page looks forward to 2018 when construction will start between US 311 and US 52. They even revised the page for Future I-73 north of Greensboro with a new map showing its still under construction. In the projects in development section, the Complete 540 page has a new map labeling the to be constructed parts of the Loop as a 'Future Interstate' and speaking of Future Interstates, the Kinston Bypass page has a new map with I-42 along the Goldsboro Bypass. You can check out the new Projects page at:
https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/Pages/default.aspx

LM117

Quote from: bob7374 on July 13, 2018, 11:40:58 PM
NCDOT has revamped its website, adding many more images, bigger fonts and upgraded graphics (a photo of an I-73 shield is now used to access their real-time traffic information). They've even revised their project listing page adding bigger maps. The problem is, they have not updated the information on the new pages which includes the new pages for construction of now completed projects. The Greensboro Loop page map shows the route both north of US 70 to US 29 and Bryan Blvd to US 220 as still under construction. The Winston-Salem Beltway page looks forward to 2018 when construction will start between US 311 and US 52. They even revised the page for Future I-73 north of Greensboro with a new map showing its still under construction. In the projects in development section, the Complete 540 page has a new map labeling the to be constructed parts of the Loop as a 'Future Interstate' and speaking of Future Interstates, the Kinston Bypass page has a new map with I-42 along the Goldsboro Bypass. You can check out the new Projects page at:
https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/Pages/default.aspx

I-587 is also labeled on US-264, even on the part of 264 that goes over the north side of Greenville despite the fact that it's not part of the I-587 corridor.

I liked the old website layout better.

Buffaboy

I have always been fascinated by the sheer about of highways and byways that North Carolina seems to have, and they have ramped it up recently. Projects that would never even be considered in New York State are on the table down there, you have 4 lane divided arterials in the middle of nowhere, and even Greensboro seems to have a decent amount of "Jersey expressways."

Texas may have you guys beat of size of expansions but I think you've beat them on quantity.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

LM117

Quote from: LM117 on February 02, 2018, 02:52:02 PMIn other news, another contract has been awarded to build a pedestrian tunnel under Trinity Road in Raleigh, linking the parking lots at Carter-Finley Stadium and the state fairgrounds.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14820

Trinity Road has reopened.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-07-20-trinity-road-raleigh-open-for-thru-traffic.aspx

1995hoo

Quote from: Buffaboy on July 15, 2018, 06:23:18 PM
I have always been fascinated by the sheer about of highways and byways that North Carolina seems to have, and they have ramped it up recently. Projects that would never even be considered in New York State are on the table down there, you have 4 lane divided arterials in the middle of nowhere, and even Greensboro seems to have a decent amount of "Jersey expressways."

Texas may have you guys beat of size of expansions but I think you've beat them on quantity.

Several governors of North Carolina over the years have reaffirmed a goal of having substantially all state residents within ten miles of a four-lane highway. (I think the exceptions relate to portions of the Outer Banks and the national forests in the southwestern part of the state.) You can't move all the residents to where the highways are, so.....
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ARMOURERERIC

I know it's a long way off, but I look forward to when they widen NC18 to 4 lanes from Morganton to Shelby, the widening from Morganton to Lenoir is making its way up the list.

LM117

wdcrft63

On Tuesday NCDOT will hold a hearing on proposals to rebuild the interchange of US 29/70 (I-85 Business) with South Main Street in High Point. The existing interchange is a vest-pocket, tight-ramped cloverleaf. Two alternatives are presented: one is a standard diamond, and the other is a half-cloverleaf.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-07-26--proposed-reconstruction-high-point.aspx

ARMOURERERIC

There is a post on city data about the I-26 Green River Bridges.  There was supposed to be a Jan 2019 bid date to reconstruct and widen these Bridges to 6 lanes.  The bidding has been delayed to explore either a 4 Lane rebuild in place or a 6 Lane bridge on a new location.  None of the 6 Lane rebuilds feature mainline widening.

LM117

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on July 28, 2018, 10:32:48 PM
There is a post on city data about the I-26 Green River Bridges.  There was supposed to be a Jan 2019 bid date to reconstruct and widen these Bridges to 6 lanes.  The bidding has been delayed to explore either a 4 Lane rebuild in place or a 6 Lane bridge on a new location.  None of the 6 Lane rebuilds feature mainline widening.

Here's the link:

https://connect.ncdot.gov/letting/12%20Month%20Tentative%20Letting%20Library/JULY%202018%20CHANGES%20REPORT.pdf

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on July 28, 2018, 10:32:48 PM

I'll chime in. I mentioned this on here in April and May and made the post on City-Data.

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on May 11, 2018, 08:50:56 AM
Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on April 22, 2018, 11:18:00 AM
I don't foresee I-26 being widened all the way to the South Carolina state line any time soon, but truck climbing lanes would be a huge benefit, especially around Green River. I don't know if the numbers support it, but it seems like there are way more trucks than there were ten years ago. When loaded, they go about 25-35 mph up the westbound Green River grade. And speaking of Green River, both of those bridges are 50 years old and rated structurally deficient. Whenever they are replaced, I can't imagine they will leave it as four lanes.

It turns out both bridges are scheduled for bridge rehabilitation next year (15BPR.20). The preliminary estimate is $9.6 million, so it sounds like a fair bit of work.

NCDOT 12 MONTH LET LIST (APRIL 2018 0- MARCH 2019

All three alternatives have been under consideration the entire time as part of the report. I'm not sure what "design issues" they've run into, but it's probably the fact that the bridges are NOT in good shape. Emergency repairs had to be made after a big hole opened up in the bridge deck in June. There is also the possibility that the bridges will have to be posted for weight limits, pending further inspection and analysis.

There are pros and cons to all three alternatives:

• A basic rehabilitation is the cheapest option, but doesn't increase capacity. There will be major traffic issues associated with a one-lane configuration and lane shifts while each bridge is worked on, including width restrictions.
  • Rehabilitating and widening the existing bridges will increase capacity, but will require a design exception due to sub-standard shoulder widths. Major traffic issues with one-lane configuration while each bridge is worked on.
  • New structure on new location will have the least impact on current traffic and won't require continual rehabilitation of the existing bridges, but is obviously the most expensive option.

You can read a news article about the 1993 bridge repairs here. Basically, they used sub-standard steel and made crappy welds when it was built.

As far as widening, there is nothing official beyond US-25/Exit 54 yet. That section currently isn't scheduled to be widened before 2025. However, a couple of big projects in Division 14 have recently been abandoned due to public outcry, so those funds may get redirected to the I-26 widening and the project gets accelerated. They may only add truck climbing lanes through that section and stop, or they may explore future widening east to US-74 in Columbus. That won't be cheap going down the mountain, and I suspect the Division would rather the money go to widening the more traveled I-40 in Haywood County from US-74 to the Buncombe County line.

The 2016 AADT at the bridges is 39,000 vehicles. The 2040 traffic forecast for the I-26 widening estimates 61,800 vehicles east of US-25, and the 2040 traffic forecast for the I-26/US-74 interchange project in Columbus estimates 44,600 vehicles west to Saluda. The former sounds too high, and the latter sounds too low, so I'm going to average it to 53,000 vehicles per day for the design year.

wdcrft63

Heads up: NCDOT will make an announcement tomorrow concerning improvements to the interchange of I-440/US 1 (Raleigh Beltline)and Glenwood Avenue (US 70). This is a big deal.

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: wdcrft63 on August 01, 2018, 05:16:41 PM
Heads up: NCDOT will make an announcement tomorrow concerning improvements to the interchange of I-440/US 1 (Raleigh Beltline)and Glenwood Avenue (US 70). This is a big deal.

The schedule on the project website is showing that a design-build contract will be awarded in spring 2019. The STIP currently has it scheduled to start in 2022. So, I'm guessing that they're not holding a press conference to announce that it's been canceled.  :D

I'm curious to see how the accelerated schedule goes. Some of the neighborhoods around Blue Ridge and Ridge aren't happy about the project, and they've got money over there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.