News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Roads

I-87 northbound TOTSO in Raleigh temporarily closed this morning due to overturned Porta-Potty truck
https://www.wral.com/truck-carrying-portable-toilet-overturns-on-i-440-in-raleigh-messy-cleanup/20427127/

The article indicates that this is the ramp from I-440 westbound -to- I-87 northbound, which is the TOTSO ramp carrying I-87.  It is a two-lane ramp.

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

sprjus4

Local, State Leaders Break Ground on U.S. 17 Widening Project
QuoteWILLIAMSTON — An $86 million project to widen 10.6 miles of U.S. 17 in Martin and Beaufort counties is officially underway today after a groundbreaking event this morning in Williamston.

Local leaders from Martin and Beaufort counties joined representatives from the N.C. Department of Transportation in the ceremony at the intersection of U.S. 17 and Joe Mobley Road.

The project will widen the highway to four lanes from N.C. 171 near the community of Old Ford to the existing four lanes just south of Williamston.

"This improved highway will be a vital corridor for northeastern North Carolina,"  said Joey Hopkins, NCDOT's Chief Operating Officer. "It will help create economic opportunities for agriculture, manufacturing, military growth and tourism."

Pre-construction work is already underway on the project, which is scheduled to be complete by the summer of 2026.

wdcrft63

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 25, 2022, 04:39:39 PM
QuoteWILLIAMSTON — An $86 million project to widen 10.6 miles of U.S. 17 in Martin and Beaufort counties is officially underway today after a groundbreaking event this morning in Williamston.

Local leaders from Martin and Beaufort counties joined representatives from the N.C. Department of Transportation in the ceremony at the intersection of U.S. 17 and Joe Mobley Road.

The project will widen the highway to four lanes from N.C. 171 near the community of Old Ford to the existing four lanes just south of Williamston.

"This improved highway will be a vital corridor for northeastern North Carolina,"  said Joey Hopkins, NCDOT's Chief Operating Officer. "It will help create economic opportunities for agriculture, manufacturing, military growth and tourism."

Pre-construction work is already underway on the project, which is scheduled to be complete by the summer of 2026.
This closes the gap in the 4-lane between the Williamston and Washington bypasses.

Mr. ENC

Quote from: wdcrft63 on August 25, 2022, 07:57:51 PM

This closes the gap in the 4-lane between the Williamston and Washington bypasses.

Which means the only part of US 17 that is still 2 lane is between Bridgeton and just south of Chocowinity. It's about a 22 mile stretch. 

wriddle082

Quote from: Mr. ENC on August 26, 2022, 08:28:31 AM

Which means the only part of US 17 that is still 2 lane is between Bridgeton and just south of Chocowinity. It's about a 22 mile stretch. 

I drove both two lane stretches of US 17 a few months ago.  They weren't terribly clogged with traffic, but each time I traveled on a weekday, so it could be worse during the week.

My biggest issue with US 17 is that it needs to be freeway between Wilmington and Jacksonville, and filling in the freeway gap north of Jacksonville up to Pollocksville would also be nice.  And I assume there are some sort of long-term plans to make it roughly follow NC 43, cross the Neuse River, and essentially bypass New Bern?

LM117

Quote from: wriddle082 on August 26, 2022, 04:46:00 PM
Quote from: Mr. ENC on August 26, 2022, 08:28:31 AM

And I assume there are some sort of long-term plans to make it roughly follow NC 43, cross the Neuse River, and essentially bypass New Bern?

I don't know how the freeway is gonna be extended north of US-70 with that huge quarry right in front of it.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

LM117

Upcoming ramp closures at the I-40/Airport Boulevard interchange near RDU Airport as part of the improvements project there. The closures are expected to last until just before Christmas.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-09-02-airport-boulevard-i-40-ramps-closed.aspx

wdcrft63

Quote from: LM117 on September 02, 2022, 04:04:47 PM
Upcoming ramp closures at the I-40/Airport Boulevard interchange near RDU Airport as part of the improvements project there. The closures are expected to last until just before Christmas.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-09-02-airport-boulevard-i-40-ramps-closed.aspx
This will be a DDI, which certainly requires all new ramps.

froggie

Quote from: wdcrft63 on September 02, 2022, 08:20:29 PM
Quote from: LM117 on September 02, 2022, 04:04:47 PM

This will be a DDI, which certainly requires all new ramps.

For the off-ramps, yes.  Parts of the on-ramps will be realigned, but parts of both on-ramps will be retained and just repaved, especially with the WB on-ramp which will keep most of the existing ramp.

Mapmikey

It appears NC 2 south was truncated from NC 5 to US 15-501 in Pinehurst.  Signage still up in May 2022 GMSV.

https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/gisdot/DOTDELetters/2022/07_July/Div08/HTO_063_07-22.pdf

74/171FAN

Quote from: Mapmikey on September 05, 2022, 03:08:58 PM
It appears NC 2 south was truncated from NC 5 to US 15-501 in Pinehurst.  Signage still up in May 2022 GMSV.

https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/gisdot/DOTDELetters/2022/07_July/Div08/HTO_063_07-22.pdf

Note to self to check on this whenever I make it to Pinehurst.  Of course, I already felt that NC 2 was the shortest number route 2 in the country. (NC 5 nearby may be the same.)

Actually, SC 2 is shorter than NC 2 (prior to this anyway).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

bob7374

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 05, 2022, 04:07:41 PM

Note to self to check on this whenever I make it to Pinehurst.  Of course, I already felt that NC 2 was the shortest number route 2 in the country. (NC 5 nearby may be the same.)

Be prepared to be disappointed. It can take 1 to a few years for a route change approved administratively to be reflected in the field. The US 70 change through Greensboro was approved in the fall of 2019 and still is not signed along its new route.

74/171FAN

^Yeah, I ended up clinching NC 55 through Holly Springs recently because that route change still has not been finalized in the field.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Strider

Quote from: bob7374 on September 05, 2022, 10:36:08 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 05, 2022, 04:07:41 PM

Be prepared to be disappointed. It can take 1 to a few years for a route change approved administratively to be reflected in the field. The US 70 change through Greensboro was approved in the fall of 2019 and still is not signed along its new route.

The signage changes isn't going to happen until after Greensboro Urban Loop is completed. That is what I have heard, even though I-840 Loop has nothing to do with the US 70 Signage changes, but that is what I have known so far.

bob7374

NCDOT has revised its 2023-2032 Draft STIP to "reflect new sources of revenue" prior to holding a series of public meetings in each Division over the next several weeks:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-09-07-ncdot-seeks-stip-project-input.aspx

Good news for some future interstate projects. The Revised STIP now funds upgrading US 74 between Rockingham and Laurinburg to interstate standards (I-74), ROW in 2028 and construction in 2030. Funds upgrading of US 29 to interstate standards (I-795) from the Greensboro Loop to Reidsville with ROW in 2028 and construction in 2031. And funds 2 sections (U-3125C and U-3125D) of US 117 being upgraded to interstate standards (I-795) with ROWs to start in 2026 and 2027 and construction in 2028 and 2029. Perhaps more will be funded in the Final STIP due out next summer.

Link to Revised STP Excel file: https://www.ncdot.gov/initiatives-policies/Transportation/stip/development/Pages/resources.aspx

LM117

planxtymcgillicuddy

I'm wondering what, if anything, may get done as a result of NASCAR finally landing at North Wilkesboro Speedway again for next year. First and foremost should be consideration for an exit at Fishing Creek Road, something that was bandied about even back when NASCAR was there in the 1990s. Could it possible to have temporary exit ramps at Fishing Creek Road by next May?
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

ARMOURERERIC

Detour signs are up for the replacement of the Sugar Loaf Rd bridge in Burke County, less than 1 mile from my home.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on September 09, 2022, 09:02:29 PM
I'm wondering what, if anything, may get done as a result of NASCAR finally landing at North Wilkesboro Speedway again for next year. First and foremost should be consideration for an exit at Fishing Creek Road, something that was bandied about even back when NASCAR was there in the 1990s. Could it possible to have temporary exit ramps at Fishing Creek Road by next May?

It looks like the NASCAR All-Star Race is a one-time deal to help Dale Jr. (and other investors) get the track going again.  I seriously doubt that the Cup (and huge crowds) will ever return to North Wilkesboro, just because of the stigma of the small tracks.  But some of the other old-timey majors are still in operation, including Five Flags (Pensacola), Nashville, Thompson (Connecticut), South Boston (Virginia), West Virginia (Ona), Oxford Plains (Maine), Langley (Hampton VA), Smoky Mountain (Maryville TN), Kingsport (Tennessee) and Hickory (North Carolina).

wdcrft63

I don't think it would be possible to add temporary ramps. Both 421 and Fishing Creek Road are very close to the stadium. Providing an exit would require reworking other roads in the area of the stadium.

planxtymcgillicuddy

Quote from: Dirt Roads on September 09, 2022, 11:10:38 PM

It looks like the NASCAR All-Star Race is a one-time deal to help Dale Jr. (and other investors) get the track going again.  I seriously doubt that the Cup (and huge crowds) will ever return to North Wilkesboro, just because of the stigma of the small tracks.  But some of the other old-timey majors are still in operation, including Five Flags (Pensacola), Nashville, Thompson (Connecticut), South Boston (Virginia), West Virginia (Ona), Oxford Plains (Maine), Langley (Hampton VA), Smoky Mountain (Maryville TN), Kingsport (Tennessee) and Hickory (North Carolina).

It's more than a one-time thing, with the work SMI and others are going to be doing: https://thewilkesrecord.com/nascar-all-star-race-to-be-on-original-asphalt-p4806-149.htm
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

rickmastfan67

fillup420

The NC 86 bridge over I-85 is still closed after a semi-truck crashed into it while heading south on 85 yesterday morning.

https://www.wral.com/nc-86-bridge-over-i-85-near-hillsborough-to-remain-closed-after-fiery-crash/20466735/

I went and saw it today, and the damage to the northern bridge pier looks pretty significant. The bridge is already quite old, and I think there's a chance it won't be open again for a while. Extensive repairs or full replacement may be in order.

74/171FAN

Quote from: fillup420 on September 15, 2022, 03:29:27 PM
The NC 86 bridge over I-85 is still closed after a semi-truck crashed into it while heading south on 85 yesterday morning.

https://www.wral.com/nc-86-bridge-over-i-85-near-hillsborough-to-remain-closed-after-fiery-crash/20466735/

I went and saw it today, and the damage to the northern bridge pier looks pretty significant. The bridge is already quite old, and I think there's a chance it won't be open again for a while. Extensive repairs or full replacement may be in order.

But NC 86 is quickly coming up on my NC clinch list.   :banghead:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.