News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wdcrft63

"North Carolina will receive $100 million in federal grant funding from the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law signed by President Biden last year to make improvements along the vital corridor of Interstate 85 between Charlotte and the South Carolina line."

"The grant will support the widening of about 10 miles of I-85 in Gaston County from six to eight lanes — relieving traffic congestion on one of the Southeast's busiest highways, as well as new connections for bicycles and pedestrians along that stretch. It will also enable the installation of broadband infrastructure and electric vehicle charging stations along the route in both Gaston and Cleveland counties."

https://governor.nc.gov/news/press-releases/2022/09/15/governor-cooper-announces-100-million-federal-grant-i-85-corridor-cleveland-gaston-counties

ARMOURERERIC

Does this mean that there was $100 million the state was already planning to lay out that can now be moved to other projects?

froggie

Sounds like this project.  If NCDOT had already budgeted for this project, then yes there may be money that could be moved to other projects but probably not right away...more like a few years down the road depending on when NCDOT planned outlays (i.e. actual spending) for this project.

Dirt Roads

Two notable tractor-trailer accidents on I-85 in North Carolina in the past few days.

My wife and I were headed to the Orange County Sportsplex on Wednesday evening when we encountered an improptu detour on NC-86 where the bridge over I-85 was closed.  I've been swamped this week, but now that I am finally getting back to normal we find that the accident occurred after midnight on Tuesday night.  I-85 [westbound] was still down to one lane at noontime today, and I am not sure whether NCDOT will get both lanes open anytime soon.  Almost all of the paint on the span over the southbound lanes was intensely blackened by the fire.

https://www.wral.com/driver-killed-in-fiery-tractor-trailer-crash-on-i-85-near-hillsborough/20464798/

Then early this morning, there was a massive truck fire on I-85 northbound near Butner. 

https://www.wral.com/massive-tractor-trailer-fire-closes-i-85-in-granville-county-for-hours/20470416/

WRAL is trying to update their website today.  Not sure if this is related, but the reporting of these two events is pretty weak.  I will try to find other non-paywalled sources and post them.

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: bob7374 on September 07, 2022, 11:43:47 PM
NCDOT has revised its 2023-2032 Draft STIP to "reflect new sources of revenue" prior to holding a series of public meetings in each Division over the next several weeks:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-09-07-ncdot-seeks-stip-project-input.aspx

Good news for some future interstate projects. The Revised STIP now funds upgrading US 74 between Rockingham and Laurinburg to interstate standards (I-74), ROW in 2028 and construction in 2030. Funds upgrading of US 29 to interstate standards (I-795) from the Greensboro Loop to Reidsville with ROW in 2028 and construction in 2031. And funds 2 sections (U-3125C and U-3125D) of US 117 being upgraded to interstate standards (I-795) with ROWs to start in 2026 and 2027 and construction in 2028 and 2029. Perhaps more will be funded in the Final STIP due out next summer.

Link to Revised STP Excel file: https://www.ncdot.gov/initiatives-policies/Transportation/stip/development/Pages/resources.aspx

I tried to review this revised stip, but 5he spreadsheet just lists line items by project number, never mentioning route or county.  I am looking forward to what is added.  There is now a second higher education campus on the site of Western Piedmont CC in Morganton which will upon opening further tax US 64, at  I-40, exit 103.

planxtymcgillicuddy

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on September 13, 2022, 05:31:23 AM
NCDOT statement on traffic improvements for North Wilkesboro:

https://twitter.com/BrettBaldeck/status/1569340179105693696

And statement from the NCHP:

https://twitter.com/BrettBaldeck/status/1569343672117858305

I'm curious as to what they may have in store in regards to this. A good short-term fix would be to widen/straighten out Speedway Road, but I take it that isn't in the cards either
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Dirt Roads on September 16, 2022, 08:43:16 PM
My wife and I were headed to the Orange County Sportsplex on Wednesday evening (Sep 14) when we encountered an improptu detour on NC-86 where the bridge over I-85 was closed.  I've been swamped this week, but now that I am finally getting back to normal we find that the accident occurred after midnight on Tuesday night.  I-85 [westbound] was still down to one lane at noontime today, and I am not sure whether NCDOT will get both lanes open anytime soon.  Almost all of the paint on the span over the southbound lanes was intensely blackened by the fire.

The NC-86 bridge over I-85 at the Hampton Pointe exit (Hillsborough/Chapel Hill, Exit 165) has finally reopened.  It was still closed as of Friday evening (Sept 23).  "Detour" signs for I-40 (Alternate I-40) have been posted all around the area in advance of the I-40 widening, and it was odd having a real detour on top of it.  Even stranger is that the Alternate I-40 detour on NC-86 northbound is marked for both I-40 westbound (via I-85 southbound) and for I-40 eastbound (via I-85 northbound and the Durham Freeway).

74/171FAN

I checked with NCDOT on whether the US 264 had reopened at the Pungo Creek Bridge (the closure that kept me from a full clinch of US 264 as posted in April 2022), and NCDOT responded that it has reopened.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

ARMOURERERIC

Google maps has updated W-S beltline imagery for the ne quadrant.  Dont know have far the pic is behind reality, but now shows a good fraction as paved.

cowboy_wilhelm

^ 4/30/2022 per Google Earth

bob7374

roadman65

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/nashville-rocky-mount-projects/Pages/project-highlights.aspx

I see ground broke already with Google Captioning the new Sunset Avenue Bridge's  over I-95 retaining walls.
https://goo.gl/maps/SyhVxbLrRBv9SFfn9
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Third Strike

Quote from: bob7374 on October 06, 2022, 05:55:09 PM
NC 16 widening project nears completion:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-10-06-nc-16-widening-completion-catawba.aspx

It's not a priority but maybe one day NC 16 could be upgraded as a control-access highway, at least from I-485 to where the recent widening project ended south of Newton. I also remember seeing a project for a bypass around Newton, that would connect to I-40 in the west and NC 16 in the southeast. The Charlotte metro and the Unifour were overdue for an expressway/highway link, other than US 321.

74/171FAN

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 19, 2021, 01:35:38 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on December 19, 2021, 01:21:42 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 19, 2021, 12:30:35 PM
I was unable to clinch NC 97 yesterday because the Swift Creek Bridge is closed until July 2022.

Also I noticed that construction is ongoing on part of the US 158 widening around Garysburg.  I am unable to see if the routings of US 158, NC 46, and NC 186 will be affected by this project.

US 158 will go to I-95 at the NC 46 interchange to bypass Weldon

I guess I should hold off on any further clinching of US 158 between I-95 and Murfreesboro for the time being then.

Has anyone seen an update on when the current part of this project that is under construction will be complete?  I cannot find anything online other than that only Section A is funded under the current STIP.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadman65

I wonder if Nashville will be removed as control city for US 64 west on I-95 once the Sunset Interchange is completed in 2023? 

It would seem Nashville should be signed once the exchange at Sunset  is completed for Sunset  as it will become the direct route from I -95 to Nashville.  US 64 does need Raleigh anyway now that the US route is freeway between I-95 and the Capital. Nashville was first considered as US 64 was not all completed freeway between Rocky Mount and Raleigh when I-95 first opened there and being Nashville is the county seat, it was appropriate for the time.

Sheryl Crowe

Thing 342

Old NC 12 (since bypassed by the Rodanthe Bridge) is being ripped up by NCDOT: https://www.pilotonline.com/news/transportation/outer-banks-highway-12-s-curves-20221011-khkclil45bgujlqprdmcd2xhzm-story.html

QuoteThe notorious "S-curves"  – an eerie stretch of Outer Banks highway that vanishes during storms – is being permanently removed, the North Carolina Department of Transportation says.

Ripping up pavement 12 began Monday, Oct. 10, and should last six weeks, according to a news release.

State officials conceded the fabled "S-Curves"  of N.C. 12 "have long been an iconic part of the N.C. coast,"  but the road is also doomed by rising sea levels.

"The "˜S-Curves' area had been one of the most vulnerable sections of N.C. 12, periodically facing ocean overwash that forced closures of the highway during nor'easters and tropical weather events,"  the NCDOT reported.

"In fact, the bypassed area has been covered in water and sand three times in the last month, during tidal surges caused by Hurricanes Earl, Fiona and Ian."

Once the highway has been erased, the state said it will then surrender the 2-mile stretch to Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge, "per NCDOT's original easement agreement with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service."

The "S-Curves"  became redundant in July, when the state opened the Rodanthe "jug handle"  bridge. The 2.4-mile bridge rises 24.5 feet over the Pamlico Sound, making floods and surge overwash a lot less likely.

[ A lifeline for Hatteras Island: After months of delays, the Outer Banks' newest bridge finally opens to traffic ]
Today's Top Stories
Today's Top Stories
Daily
Start your morning in-the-know with the day's top stories.

By contrast, the "S-curves"  often put drivers at eye-level with ocean swells, requiring sand dunes to keep waves from covering the pavement.

The "S-curves"  were frequently seen as a barometer for a storm's strength, based on how fast the road flooded and how deep it was covered by sand. National coverage of hurricanes often included images of "S-Curves"  road signs buried deep in sand.

Reaction to the road's demise was mixed, with some cheering the move to a safer bridge, while others noted unpredictability is part of the coastal mystique. A few also pointed out removing the road means there's no backup if the bridge closes.

"Oh, the stories this S-curve could tell if it could talk,"  Robyn Ness wrote on Facebook.

"Good Riddance! Over the 65 yrs of my life here it has caused us to be trapped way too many times,"  Melodi Gray Schwartz posted.

"Many a year we traveled that road.. and many a time we worried about storms,"  Kathy Romano said.

©2022 The Charlotte Observer. Visit charlotteobserver.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

wdcrft63

As sea level rises (and the coast sinks) the sea is opening up the Outer Banks, creating new inlets and fragmenting the islands. There will be more bridges to build in the future.

Alps

I find it hard to consider that an S curve. It's a gently almost-straight roadway. But makes sense it's gone.

roadman65

I see that the NB control city at the north end of I-885 for I-85 North is Petersburg.  Ditto on US 158 in Henderson.

Was that always like this?

I could have swore Richmond was previously used.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

Quote from: roadman65 on October 14, 2022, 08:00:18 PM
I see that the NB control city at the north end of I-885 for I-85 North is Petersburg.  Ditto on US 158 in Henderson.

I believe so actually from what I remember.

froggie

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 14, 2022, 08:10:31 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 14, 2022, 08:00:18 PM

I believe so actually from what I remember.

When what is now the 85/885 interchange was completed as a full interchange ca. 2003 (prior to that traffic coming off 70 could only go SB 85), there were dual control cities for NB 85 of Henderson and Petersburg.  Henderson has been dropped only in the past year or so.  At no point since I started traveling the area in late 2001 was Richmond used as a control city from Durham.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/1Mgj4zXu6rsiEX528
It's used at US 401's northern terminus.  That's where I saw it before.

https://www.aaroads.com/nc/085/i-085-n-exit-215-3.jpg
Pull through on I-85 north at US 158 split from AARoads in 2012

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

I was noticing the convoluted route that NC 42 takes in Wilson and ignoring Tarboro Street in Downtown. I don't have to guess why, but you think that NC 42 would follow Ward Blvd to the south to overlap US 301 rather than take a long semi circle to the north.

Sheryl Crowe

Mileage Mike

Quote from: roadman65 on October 15, 2022, 11:35:51 AM
I was noticing the convoluted route that NC 42 takes in Wilson and ignoring Tarboro Street in Downtown. I don't have to guess why, but you think that NC 42 would follow Ward Blvd to the south to overlap US 301 rather than take a long semi circle to the north.

My guess would be that it's to make sure Ward Blvd. has a signed State or US Route all the way around. If 42 went the other way then the section between Raleigh Rd. and Nash St. would be unsigned.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.