News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Massachusetts now looking to do new tolls

Started by cpzilliacus, August 01, 2013, 11:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: 1 on June 19, 2014, 10:35:25 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on June 19, 2014, 08:54:10 AM
If the above is indeed implemented/constructed; it would allow for more interchanges to be constructed west of Weston (the toll-ticket corridor) because the abolishment of the toll-ticket system would mean less space will be required to build a new interchange (i.e. no more twin-trumpets).

I would put the new interchanges at MA 8 and MA 23.
I agree with 8, but I don't know about 23. Yes, it's the only route for miles, but where is it going? Exit 3 serves Westfield, and the MA 8 interchange would serve that corridor. The other place I'd like to see one is at US 7.

roadman

In case any of you reading/seeing the recent news reports about the pending AET rollout on the Mass. Pike are wondering why the West Newton plaza was the first one singled out for elimination and demolition of the plaza shortly thereafter, here's the backstory behind the decision.

About six months after assuming the chairmanship of the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority, Jim Kerasiotes and his entourage were entering the Pike eastbound at West Newton about 3 am.  Upon pulling up to the plaza, they found the toll taker fast asleep.  Wintin a week, it was announced ** that tolls would no longer be collected at West Newton, and that the plaza would be removed.

**although the decision to remove the tolls was made by the Turnpike Authority, per long standing practice in Massachusetts government, such decisions are publically announced by the Governor's office.  MassDOT continues the practice to this day for major projects or policy changes.

Disclaimer - I learned of this story through several of my contacts within the Turnpike Authority and MassHighway, as well as from the toll taker on duty that night himself - who was a former high school classmate.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Alps

Quote from: roadman on June 20, 2014, 12:43:27 PM
In case any of you reading/seeing the recent news reports about the pending AET rollout on the Mass. Pike are wondering why the West Newton plaza was the first one singled out for elimination and demolition of the plaza shortly thereafter, here's the backstory behind the decision.

About six months after assuming the chairmanship of the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority, Jim Kerasiotes and his entourage were entering the Pike eastbound at West Newton about 3 am.  Upon pulling up to the plaza, they found the toll taker fast asleep.  Wintin a week, it was announced ** that tolls would no longer be collected at West Newton, and that the plaza would be removed.

**although the decision to remove the tolls was made by the Turnpike Authority, per long standing practice in Massachusetts government, such decisions are publically announced by the Governor's office.  MassDOT continues the practice to this day for major projects or policy changes.

Disclaimer - I learned of this story through several of my contacts within the Turnpike Authority and MassHighway, as well as from the toll taker on duty that night himself - who was a former high school classmate.
Disclaimer unnecessary, I've heard the same story.

SidS1045

Quote from: Alps on June 20, 2014, 08:03:03 PM
Disclaimer unnecessary, I've heard the same story.

As have I.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.