News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Zeffy

Quote from: US71 on August 12, 2015, 10:47:51 PM

Gulf Coast Florida

This is very similar to a sign that says "ROAD MAY BE FLOODED" on NJ 29 in Hopewell, NJ. I like to joke around and read it as "the road may be - possibly - just a slight chance - flooded."  :D
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

noelbotevera

Quote from: Zeffy on August 12, 2015, 10:50:40 PM

Gulf Coast Florida

This is very similar to a sign that says "ROAD MAY BE FLOODED" on NJ 29 in Hopewell, NJ. I like to joke around and read it as "the road may be - possibly - just a slight chance - flooded."  :D
Clearly northern NJ always gets flooded. Or it was a kindergartener prank gone into a sign.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

1995hoo

Gulf Coast Florida

Both are still better than a sign that used to be on Woodburn Road in Fairfax County, Virginia. Back in the days of the old one-lane bridge (prior to about the mid-1980s), the road flooded frequently. The warning sign, which was meant to be turned sideways when not needed but never was turned, said "ROAD CLOSED HIGH WATER." Having that sign in place permanently kind of defeated the purpose of having the sign.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Gulf Coast Florida

29 in that area suffers from the mountains along the Delaware River further north in Jersey, PA and NY.  I'm not sure why it happens - maybe it's low-level land; maybe the river narrows slightly, or whatever, but that area can flood on a perfectly sunny day, because of heavy rains have occurred a few days prior especially in the mountains as mentioned above.

Other low-lying areas near tidal waters can suffer the same flooding, which possibly has something to do with the signage in the picture above.  Moon phases that bring higher than normal high tides can cause flooding on otherwise peaceful days as well.

thefraze_1020

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on August 12, 2015, 08:59:15 PM
interesting use of a full colour VMS in Minneapolis:

This should go in the "Best of Road Signs" thread.

But I have to wonder, why not just put up a sign for that exit?
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

ChezeHed81

This is one of four of these gems that were put up along Delaware Route 1, Southbound, approaching Route 273 sometime Wednesday night or Thursday.  The route shield does look blue in person.  I'm don't know whether to consider it some variation of "Floridachrome" (US-90 & US-92 were white on blue), a lengthy detour to Nevada, or a serious downgrade of one of the east coast's most heavily used traffic corridors.

noelbotevera

Quote from: ChezeHed81 on August 14, 2015, 07:17:39 AM

This is one of four of these gems that were put up along Delaware Route 1, Southbound, approaching Route 273 sometime Wednesday night or Thursday.  The route shield does look blue in person.  I'm don't know whether to consider it some variation of "Floridachrome" (US-90 & US-92 were white on blue), a lengthy detour to Nevada, or a serious downgrade of one of the east coast's most heavily used traffic corridors.
Maybe the contractor was born in Florida, raised in Nevada, then got a job in Delaware as a contractor...THEN he failed.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

TEG24601

Quote from: thefraze_1020 on August 14, 2015, 03:10:27 AM

Likely couldn't get a narrower VMS without it being too narrow for MNDOT's rules. 

Just a supposition from GSV - It appears that the sign changes depending on traffic.  The current GSV also adds exits for Cedar Ave, and 5th St., without an exit number, but an "Exit Only" designator.  However Exit 235A is not "Exit Only", but 234 B-C is.  It seem that when traffic is heavy, the VMS changes to get people going to 234B-C to enter at this point, along with those going to 235A to avoid the backups, then when traffic is light, it reverts to the image above.

They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Alex4897

I've seen some terrible construction signage in conjunction with that interchange project, but this takes the cake.  Strange though, I drove through there Wednesday night and didn't see this at all.
👉😎👉

freebrickproductions

I don't care if people think it's ugly and erroneous, but I like that shield.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

UCFKnights

Quote from: thefraze_1020 on August 14, 2015, 03:10:27 AM

We got this full color, sign dispaying VMS in Orlando:

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5380638,-81.3608361,3a,15.1y,255.37h,94.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFd79eMd6o9B0Ruk2gl--hg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

All the Orlando toll roads have digital arrow signs that seem to never ever change, including when they've closed all of the lanes for construction in the past.

I've never seen it change. However, they are just starting a revamp of the interchange so its possible within the next few years, it will finally display a new message. Hopefully the old message isn't burned into the sign for displaying the same sign for the past several years. Orlando's also got a bunch of digital number signs displaying exit numbers that never change, except for when they seem to go into test mode a few times a day.

vtk

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 12, 2015, 05:29:53 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on August 09, 2015, 07:47:26 PM
That came out wrong. Being from the northeast, shooting signs is, well, not heard of in my parts of the woods. I'm not judging Alabama; my statement was based off of Alabama ranking high on the "most violent states" lists published by various websites. I'm sure there are nice places in Alabama, much like every state despite what people think.
Really? Because I'm from the northeast, and I've seen my share of it. Aside from using the sign as target practice, and the non-standard colors, what attracted my curiosity is the "Emergency 911" caption underneath.

That "E" does stand for "Emergency," right?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_9-1-1

Part of E-911 is  automatic reporting of caller location. Many rural areas,, when  implementing E-911, had to assign addresses to places, and names to roads, which never had them before. I'm pretty sure that's why this sign exists.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

D-Dey65

My first thought; why even bother with a VMS sign?

jbnv

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

D-Dey65

Quote from: jbnv on August 16, 2015, 07:02:23 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 16, 2015, 06:48:50 PM
My first thought; why even bother with a VMS sign?
Try looking upstream. ;)
I saw that already, but it still seems pointless. It's like one line of cars gets to see the first version, and only the ones behind it and/or in front of it get to see the other.

SignGeek101

I don't know how common these are, but I haven't seen them prior to this month. They look new too.

'Begin Odometer Check' Sign
by Sign Geek, on Flickr

'Begin Odometer Check' Sign
by Sign Geek, on Flickr

Example of Odometer Marker Sign
by Sign Geek, on Flickr

Anyone else seen this type of sign elsewhere?

Big John

^^ Wisconsin used to have something similar with small mile check signs (for 4-10 miles) on certain expressways prior to the standard mile markers being installed on those roads.

SignGeek101

Quote from: Big John on August 18, 2015, 02:11:28 PM
^^ Wisconsin used to have something similar with small mile check signs (for 4-10 miles) on certain expressways prior to the standard mile markers being installed on those roads.

Perhaps these ones were installed prior to the kilometre markers here. There are kilometre markers there, so why this sign?

noelbotevera

Quote from: SignGeek101 on August 18, 2015, 02:56:04 PM

Perhaps these ones were installed prior to the kilometre markers here. There are kilometre markers there, so why this sign?
I-5 in San Diego near the border had them, but they were in miles. I forgot what their purpose was.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

SidS1045

Massachusetts had them too.  They were signed as "Begin Measured Mile" and "End Measured Mile."
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

hotdogPi

Quote from: SidS1045 on August 18, 2015, 04:30:12 PM
Massachusetts had them too.  They were signed as "Begin Measured Mile" and "End Measured Mile."

MA 125 still has a set near mile markers 1-2.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

PHLBOS

Oregon has used such as well.

Gulf Coast Florida
Talk about optical illusions.  If one gave that photo a quick glance (and if all location-specific signs & references were deleted); one would think that they were looking at snow rather than white sand.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

kkt

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 18, 2015, 02:56:53 PM
Quote from: SignGeek101 on August 18, 2015, 02:56:04 PM

I-5 in San Diego near the border had them, but they were in miles. I forgot what their purpose was.

They're for calibrating your odometer and speedometer, for people who have installed nonstandard size tires.  When you complete the measured mile in 60 seconds at an indicated 60 mph, you've calibrated it correctly.  It's easiest with the passenger operating the stopwatch.

xcellntbuy

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 18, 2015, 04:39:11 PM
Oregon has used such as well.

Gulf Coast Florida
Talk about optical illusions.  If one gave that photo a quick glance (and if all location-specific signs & references were deleted); one would think that they were looking at snow rather than white sand.
I had the same reaction the first time I saw the photo. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.