News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

hbelkins

West Virginia has an "E/W" exit for WV 9 on I-81 to indicate the east and west directions for WV 9.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

briantroutman

kkt

6a

Wasn't sure where to put this one, and I'm sure it's been there for a year or so and I've just noticed it: NB I-270 exit to W. Broad St. in Columbus. Top left, 4/3 mile to the Thornton's station. Would have been neater if they'd gone all the way and made it 7/4 to Kroger, but alas...

Edit: I'm sure it should say 3/4 since GetGo is practically across the road

jbnv

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

D-Dey65

Has anybody else here been at the parking garage near the John F. Germany Public Library in Tampa, Florida? They still have two yellow Yield signs mounter over the drivers on the first floor at one of the exits.

I didn't get a pic, because my windshield was too dirty.

jakeroot

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 05, 2016, 11:56:50 PM
Has anybody else here been at the parking garage near the John F. Germany Public Library in Tampa, Florida? They still have two yellow Yield signs mounter over the drivers on the first floor at one of the exits.

I haven't been anywhere near Tampa in my whole life, but the parking garage at the University of Washington - Seattle has a couple yellow yield signs leftover from when the garage was first constructed:

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Mapmikey

Didn't think this was "worst of" material but the left 234 shield is fugly....

https://goo.gl/maps/LU9i63wxDND2

vtk

Quote from: 6a on May 05, 2016, 05:58:56 PM
Wasn't sure where to put this one, and I'm sure it's been there for a year or so and I've just noticed it: NB I-270 exit to W. Broad St. in Columbus. Top left, 4/3 mile to the Thornton's station. Would have been neater if they'd gone all the way and made it 7/4 to Kroger, but alas...

Edit: I'm sure it should say 3/4 since GetGo is practically across the road

Why doesn't it list both Speedways?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Big John

^^ Companies have to pay to put their name/logo on those blue signs and the "other" Speedway may have opted not to do so.

tckma

Quote from: Big John on May 09, 2016, 11:08:56 PM
^^ Companies have to pay to put their name/logo on those blue signs

Why?

And even if they do, the increased customer base from long-distance or mid-distance Interstate travelers would surely be worth the extra expense, wouldn't it?

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

Quote from: tckma on May 10, 2016, 02:05:32 PM

Why?

Most logo sign programs are self-sustaining. Meaning, the companies that advertise on the signs, also pay for the signs.

jeffandnicole

Why?

And even if they do, the increased customer base from long-distance or mid-distance Interstate travelers would surely be worth the extra expense, wouldn't it?

That's why they do it.  Same reason why they advertise on billboards and post the highest, largest sign they can to be seen from the greatest distance possible.

chays

Some Canadian humor.  I'm not sure if I can embed the GSV right in this post, so link and static image only:
https://goo.gl/maps/dtck16mvCux

D-Dey65

Quote from: jakeroot on May 06, 2016, 12:04:04 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 05, 2016, 11:56:50 PM

I haven't been anywhere near Tampa in my whole life, but the parking garage at the University of Washington - Seattle has a couple yellow yield signs leftover from when the garage was first constructed:

Ahh. But unlike the one you're showing us, believe it or not, these signs actually look fairly new. In fact, they kind of edge towards being fluorescent lime green.

freebrickproductions

From my recent travels:

An extremely large "Weight Limit 3 Tons" sign on Jefferson Street in Courtland, AL. Just so y'all know, this road has a speed limit of 35 MPH here:
Really, really large Weight Limit Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

A rather large "ahead" plaque for this sign in Town Creek, AL:
Really Large Ahead Plaque by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

This sign in Town Creek, AL just looks weird, especially with the font:
Slow Children At Play by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

A "No Trucks" sign on a sign-blank for something like a speed limit sign in Town Creek, AL:
No Trucks by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

A bit of an odd looking reverse curve sign in Muscle Shoals, AL:
Odd Reverse Curve Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Non-standard font in Muscle Shoals, AL:
No Left Turn on to George Wallace Boulevard by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

mrsman

Quote from: jbnv on May 05, 2016, 06:13:11 PM
If it's 3/4, this would be Erroneous.

Don't have the time to check the distances here, but measuring miles in thirds is very rare, and it's almost unheard of to write a fraction that is more than one as 4/3 instead of 1 1/3.  So I believe it is really 3/4, signed erroneously.

jeffandnicole

NJ Turnpike BBBS? (Big Blue Blue Sign or Blue Big Blue Sign)

While a sign mentioning an exit for the state police barracks isn't totally unusual on some roads, what makes this a little different is it requires you to take the maintenance ramp and overpass near Exit 4 to get there.

roadman

Why?

Providing LOGOS for two separate locations of the same company at a single exit IMO serves little useful purpose.   Especially as an Interstate traveler looking for a quick fuel or food stop is going to go to the location closest to the interchange anyway.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

vtk

Quote from: roadman on May 19, 2016, 02:22:35 PM

Why?

Providing LOGOS for two separate locations of the same company at a single exit IMO serves little useful purpose.   Especially as an Interstate traveler looking for a quick fuel or food stop is going to go to the location closest to the interchange anyway.

I've seen instances of two Speedway logos at the same exit. The one most familiar to me has a Speedway in each direction from the freeway. At the exit pictured several posts back, however, both Speedways are to the left.  But I thought I remembered two Speedway logos on the blue signs for that exit in the past (maybe it was the exit from the other direction of I-270...)
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.