News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: mrsman on May 22, 2019, 01:06:54 PM

Quote from: kphoger on May 16, 2019, 09:45:36 PM
I'm less amused by the main sign (having seen similar signage elsewhere) as by the very specific information provided in the plaque:  LEVEL B SERVICE.  Am I supposed to believe the average Iowan knows what Level B service is?

What is meant by Level B service?

I don't know.  I'm not an average Iowan.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Details (from a Story County, Iowa website) as to Level B classification for county roads

It is essentially an Iowa-specific legal term of art for a minimum-maintenance classification (the actual extent of maintenance activity can apparently be varied from county to county) that allows counties to economize on maintenance while retaining the ability to claim qualified immunity in cases where motorist mishaps are traceable to lack of maintenance.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

mass_citizen

Quote from: PurdueBill on May 13, 2019, 09:32:45 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 13, 2019, 02:02:07 PM
Quote from: riiga on May 13, 2019, 12:23:29 PM
Or put no sign at all. Or a W4-3/W4-6.

Precisely. There is already a symbol to indicate this exact situation. No need to use a wordy text-only sign. Or a sign at all, assuming the markings were clear enough.

The problem is at otherwise-signalized intersections like the one I linked to, people often like to think they have to stop, even with the sign.  The added-lane sign should be enough, but doesn't seem to be enough to get through some people's dense skulls.  They would probably claim that they thought it meant that they had to merge/yield...

To be honest most people don't know what a lot of the graphic signs mean. Sometimes you need to spell it out plainly in words

hotdogPi

Quote from: mass_citizen on May 24, 2019, 12:50:50 AM
Quote from: PurdueBill on May 13, 2019, 09:32:45 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 13, 2019, 02:02:07 PM
Quote from: riiga on May 13, 2019, 12:23:29 PM
Or put no sign at all. Or a W4-3/W4-6.

Precisely. There is already a symbol to indicate this exact situation. No need to use a wordy text-only sign. Or a sign at all, assuming the markings were clear enough.

The problem is at otherwise-signalized intersections like the one I linked to, people often like to think they have to stop, even with the sign.  The added-lane sign should be enough, but doesn't seem to be enough to get through some people's dense skulls.  They would probably claim that they thought it meant that they had to merge/yield...

To be honest most people don't know what a lot of the graphic signs mean. Sometimes you need to spell it out plainly in words

The problem with using words is that people who don't speak English won't understand it.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

ipeters61

Here's a bit of an oddball on CT-9 in New Britain: https://goo.gl/maps/vKu1cwdJW2q9qnqD8

Are just the exit tab and 71 shield button copy, and not the rest of the sign?
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

jakeroot

Quote from: 1 on May 24, 2019, 07:31:37 AM
The problem with using words is that people who don't speak English won't understand it.

I absolutely agree with you. But,

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Here are some inverted US 192 shields.  And NO they are not leftover from the FL Kodachrome Days as US 192 was shielded green before 1993.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/47926937743/in/dateposted-public/

Sheryl Crowe

Verlanka

Quote from: roadman65 on May 25, 2019, 10:08:30 PM
And NO they are not leftover from the FL Kodachrome Days as US 192 was shielded green before 1993.

I thought US 192 was shielded yellow, not green.

roadman65

Quote from: Verlanka on May 26, 2019, 09:21:30 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 25, 2019, 10:08:30 PM
And NO they are not leftover from the FL Kodachrome Days as US 192 was shielded green before 1993.

I thought US 192 was shielded yellow, not green.
No it was green. US 17 through Kissimmee which is nearby was yellow along with US 301, 319, and 231.  US 23, 27, 192, and 331 were all green.

Sheryl Crowe

J N Winkler

This sign is so over-the-top officious in tone that I file it under "unintentional comedy."

Real-life example on I-72 near Hull
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

ipeters61

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 26, 2019, 12:17:13 PM
This sign is so over-the-top officious in tone that I file it under "unintentional comedy."

(cigarette smuggling sign)

My mind went straight to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbnH0RBOkC8
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

ErmineNotyours

Washington used to have a lot of these: (no actual guard shacks, though)

formulanone

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on May 26, 2019, 09:38:38 PM
Washington used to have a lot of these: (no actual guard shacks, though)

I remember seeing those in 2012 and figured "we'll trust you on those apple maggots" because I didn't recall any inspection stations. There didn't seem to be places to turn around if you suddenly remembered you had some tiny critters just wandering around in your vehicle.

J N Winkler

Quote from: formulanone on May 27, 2019, 12:21:19 PMI remember seeing those in 2012 and figured "we'll trust you on those apple maggots" because I didn't recall any inspection stations. There didn't seem to be places to turn around if you suddenly remembered you had some tiny critters just wandering around in your vehicle.

I am reasonably sure those signs were still posted in 2014 when I last visited Washington state, though I eventually ended up drawing them (down to the 800 number) from WSDOT SRView imagery.  I certainly never saw any evidence of enforcement measures involving mandatory inspection of any class of vehicle.

In the northern frontier tier states like Nebraska and South Dakota, there are what are called brand inspection areas.  Cattle based in these areas that are sold or transferred must (with certain exceptions) have their brands inspected by state officials.  There have been state line signs to indicate these requirements but not how to fulfill them, so they constitute classic examples of cryptic signing.

In South Dakota the brand inspection area consists of the counties west of the Missouri River.  In Nebraska it consists (roughly) of the western half of the state, with a brand inspection service area consisting of counties and county fragments that border directly on the brand inspection area; in this zone inspection is not required but is available on the same basis as in the inspection area proper.  The cost of inspection in both states is $1 per head plus reimbursement of time and mileage for the inspector if he or she has to travel to view the livestock.

jakeroot

I'm putting this one in "bad".

I don't mind three destinations, but I think it should only be allowed when you can fit each destination on a single line. It's genuinely difficult to read (and interpret) this sign at-speed.

My only other issue with this sign, is the text being wrapped around the Scenic Highway shield.

(Technically, the cardinal direction is wrong as well, written in mixed-case).

https://goo.gl/maps/V63vHWhMJWB11RWU7

Tonytone

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 26, 2019, 12:17:13 PM

Cigarettes must be expensive in the neighboring state for them to put a sign up warning about Cigarette Smuggling, it is illegal to take large amounts of cigarettes to different states, they do not play about those cigarettes, they will jail you if you are caught selling them for lower than what they were bought.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

J N Winkler

Quote from: Tonytone on May 27, 2019, 08:56:11 PMCigarettes must be expensive in the neighboring state for them to put a sign up warning about Cigarette Smuggling, it is illegal to take large amounts of cigarettes to different states, they do not play about those cigarettes, they will jail you if you are caught selling them for lower than what they were bought.

I've seen these signs in person and StreetView only along Illinois' border with Missouri.  (Besides the I-72 example linked to, there is another along US 54.)  There is a Reason.com piece suggesting that tax competition is especially acute with Missouri because its $0.17/pack tax is lower than the $1.98/pack statewide tax in Illinois ($6.16/pack in Chicago) and the ~$1/pack tax in other states that border Missouri.

The 1-800-CHEAT-11 phone number is the general Illinois revenue fraud hotline, not dedicated specifically to cigarette taxes.

ipeters61

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 27, 2019, 09:10:06 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on May 27, 2019, 08:56:11 PMCigarettes must be expensive in the neighboring state for them to put a sign up warning about Cigarette Smuggling, it is illegal to take large amounts of cigarettes to different states, they do not play about those cigarettes, they will jail you if you are caught selling them for lower than what they were bought.

I've seen these signs in person and StreetView only along Illinois' border with Missouri.  (Besides the I-72 example linked to, there is another along US 54.)  There is a Reason.com piece suggesting that tax competition is especially acute with Missouri because its $0.17/pack tax is lower than the $1.98/pack statewide tax in Illinois ($6.16/pack in Chicago) and the ~$1/pack tax in other states that border Missouri.

The 1-800-CHEAT-11 phone number is the general Illinois revenue fraud hotline, not dedicated specifically to cigarette taxes.
I get weirdly giddy when the topic of tax competition comes up, since it was the topic of my undergrad thesis (though that was focused on corporate tax competition).

So I'm still on topic, regarding a different sign.  This was just installed on DE-8 at US-13 in Dover (they're building a shopping center in the area).  That 8 is weirdly big (for reference, here are two "normal" DE-8 shields):

Instagram | Clinched Map

Tonytone

Quote from: ipeters61 on May 27, 2019, 09:17:54 PM

I get weirdly giddy when the topic of tax competition comes up, since it was the topic of my undergrad thesis (though that was focused on corporate tax competition).

So I'm still on topic, regarding a different sign.  This was just installed on DE-8 at US-13 in Dover (they're building a shopping center in the area).  That 8 is weirdly big:

Since I would like to know about what you wrote about please tell us more & I will rebuttal your Delaware 8 Sign with this unusual Gem

Delaware Route 4 Aka Maryland Ave

iPhone

DRMan

Tonytone

I've never saw those signs before, very interesting, over here on the East coast, people are known to bring cigarettes from Delaware to PA & NY & sell them for of course a way lower price than up norths prices, but surprised we have not saw the sign over here. Thats why I said it must be rampant over there. When a sign is put up you know it's serious

iPhone

hbelkins

First time I ever saw the "cigarette smuggling" sign was entering Illinois on I-64 from Indiana. My guess is there's an issue with smokes bring brought from Kentucky, which has one of the lowest taxes in the country.

There are similar signs in Ohio regarding the importation of firewood, due to the proliferation of the emerald ash borer insect. I'd have to search for a photo, but I'm sure I have one somewhere.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.