News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NY-NJ Hudson River Crossings

Started by Alps, December 16, 2013, 06:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Have you seen Albany lately?  They can't pass anything unless it gives them money, and the Thruway, MTA, and Bridge Authority all have separate budgets.  Plus, they're also part of the government, so I don't think NY can sue itself.  Given that ORT, much less all-electronic, hasn't taken off in most of the state (with the exception of the Henry Hudson Bridge and the Thruway in the Hudson Valley, I don't think a single toll booth has seen a configuration change since E-ZPass was invented - remember, this is the NY no-innovation zone), I'm not sure that they'd be able to push a fee any time in the foreseeable future.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mc78andrew

What are the stats on cash tolls collected vs ezpass tolls collected at the panynj crossings ?  I'll put the over/under at 72 percent in favor of ezpass. 

Alps

Quote from: mc78andrew on December 19, 2013, 11:38:55 PM
What are the stats on cash tolls collected vs ezpass tolls collected at the panynj crossings ?  I'll put the over/under at 72 percent in favor of ezpass. 
Bzzt! Averages 75, gets up to 80-82 during peak weekday hours. source: trust me

mc78andrew

Quote from: Steve on December 19, 2013, 11:40:41 PM

Then screw the cash people.  Get them with the program that's cheaper to operate or get them off the bridge.  Jack the cash rate to 20 bucks. 

Alps

Quote from: mc78andrew on December 19, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Then screw the cash people.  Get them with the program that's cheaper to operate or get them off the bridge.  Jack the cash rate to 20 bucks. 
Oh, don't worry, someday we'll look back fondly on the days when tolls began with "1".

PHLBOS

Quote from: vdeane on December 19, 2013, 08:26:53 PMThey can't pass anything unless it gives them money
Key point right there in those few words.

While NY can't sue itself.  If those NY-based toll agencies can successfully make the case for needing addtional revenue (to convert toll plazas into ORTs for example); you can bet your bottom dollar that some type of user fee for those transponders will be coming in the horizon.

Let's not forget that when EZ-Pass first started 20 years ago; most agencies charged no fees (if a subscriber opted signed up for automatic replenishment) along with discounted tolls for all tag-holders.  Over time, the NJ Consortium realized that increased tag usage at disounted tolls actually put them in a financial hole.  Low & behold, the annual fee ($1/month = $12/year) for all tagholders was born. 

Later on, PTC being one exception, those much-advertised discounted toll rates either disappeared (like it did when DelDOT jacked up their tolls on I-95 to $4 each way several years ago) or became very restricted (local residents and/or committed commuters).

My point is the fee may not currently be allowed to be charged buy the NY agencies; but that can be subject to change.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

mrsman

Of course, NY could impose a fee to their EZ Pass, but the fact that it would require formal legislation, as opposed to the whim of MTA or the Thruway authority.

It's a lot harder to impose the fee.

This is the reason why I have a NY EZ-PASS, even though there were other agencies at the time when I got my EZ-Pass that had no monthly fee, and I believe a lower deposit on the transponder, I reasoned that the fact that state law needed to be changed before a fee would be imposed would insure that I would be adequately warned if such were to occur.

Also, the politicians would have to go on record to support such a change.  I don't think we'll see the fee imposed anytime soon in NY.

cpzilliacus

Aggregate E-ZPass use along the entire NYS Thurway system for October 2013 can be found here (.pdf document).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

vdeane

MTA seems content to just jack up tolls whenever they want to... NYSTA doesn't race to do upgrades anyways, so they probably won't say anything.  I don't know enough about the Bridge Authority to comment there, but note that their booths still have gate arms.  I don't think "upgrade" is in their vocabulary.  The Peace Bridge tag is for frequent users anyways, and the Niagara River Bridge Commission (joining in 2014) tag will likely be the same.  If any authority is likely to get uppity about a fee, it would probably be the Thousand Islands Bridge Authority (joining 2014), as they dragged their feet on E-ZPass for a VERY long time because they don't like the lag in getting to toll payment from the IAG.

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 20, 2013, 09:40:58 AM
Quote from: vdeane on December 19, 2013, 08:26:53 PMThey can't pass anything unless it gives them money
Key point right there in those few words.

While NY can't sue itself.  If those NY-based toll agencies can successfully make the case for needing addtional revenue (to convert toll plazas into ORTs for example); you can bet your bottom dollar that some type of user fee for those transponders will be coming in the horizon.

Let's not forget that when EZ-Pass first started 20 years ago; most agencies charged no fees (if a subscriber opted signed up for automatic replenishment) along with discounted tolls for all tag-holders.  Over time, the NJ Consortium realized that increased tag usage at disounted tolls actually put them in a financial hole.  Low & behold, the annual fee ($1/month = $12/year) for all tagholders was born. 

Later on, PTC being one exception, those much-advertised discounted toll rates either disappeared (like it did when DelDOT jacked up their tolls on I-95 to $4 each way several years ago) or became very restricted (local residents and/or committed commuters).

My point is the fee may not currently be allowed to be charged buy the NY agencies; but that can be subject to change.
Sounds like NJ set the discount rate too low.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PHLBOS

Quote from: vdeane on December 20, 2013, 09:23:43 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on December 20, 2013, 09:40:58 AMLet's not forget that when EZ-Pass first started 20 years ago; most agencies charged no fees (if a subscriber opted signed up for automatic replenishment) along with discounted tolls for all tag-holders.  Over time, the NJ Consortium realized that increased tag usage at disounted tolls actually put them in a financial hole.  Low & behold, the annual fee ($1/month = $12/year) for all tagholders was born. 

Sounds like NJ set the discount rate too low.
At the time, tolls on the NJ Turnpike had either just underwent an increase beforehand or shortly after EZ-Pass came about.  The discounted NJ Turnpike EZ-Pass toll, back then, was simply the older, pre-increase toll.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

D-Dey65

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 16, 2013, 11:01:47 PM
Perhaps a better question might be - where are all of those toll dollars collected from motorists driving from North Jersey to Manhattan going? 

How much of the money is diverted to subsidize the PATH trains?

How much of the money goes to Port Authority real estate deals that have nothing to do with the Port's transportation assets?
Not enough, according to the mantra of the Tri-State (Anti-)Transportation Campaign.

:angry:

cpzilliacus

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 03, 2014, 11:19:22 PM
Not enough, according to the mantra of the Tri-State (Anti-)Transportation Campaign.

:angry:

Tri-State Congestion Campaign.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

NJ.COM: Jersey City driver charged with $12K in toll violations

QuoteA Jersey City man driving a Mercedes Benz into the Holland Tunnel yesterday has racked up more than $12,000 in EZ Pass toll violations, Port Authority police police said.

QuoteOscar Sanchez, 45, was pulled over after the "toll unpaid" sign flashed as he went through the toll plaza at 3 p.m. yesterday, Port Authority police spokesman Joe Pentangelo said, noting that Sanchez's 2001 Mercedes Benz SL500 did not have a front license plate.

QuotePolice then found that Sanchez's license had been suspended and that he had more than 200 counts of EZ Pass toll evasion amounting to more than $12,000. Sanchez's car was impounded and he was charged with theft of service, operating a vehicle while have a suspended license and having no front license plate.

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 03, 2016, 12:19:01 AM
NJ.COM: Jersey City driver charged with $12K in toll violations

QuoteA Jersey City man driving a Mercedes Benz into the Holland Tunnel yesterday has racked up more than $12,000 in EZ Pass toll violations, Port Authority police police said.
I knew someone had to be in charge of policing the Port Authority police.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.