News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Ohio

Started by iBallasticwolf2, August 29, 2015, 08:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

SkyPesos

Quote from: Bitmapped on April 09, 2023, 09:42:07 PM
Quote from: TempoNick on April 09, 2023, 08:48:34 PM
Whoever does signs for ODOT is absolutely awful.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aBs-2wtNhbht6m_HUhQkGwsMtPJdfQmR/view?usp=share_link

That doesn't look like an ODOT install. Probably installed by Canal Winchester.
It's part of our deal with NC. They get I-74 in exchange of a US x74 for us. :bigass:

vtk

It's a perfect 3dUS shield, and the number is right. Could be worse.

ODOT put a US 317 shield on a BGS on 270 a few years ago. Also perfect, aside from the wrong kind of route of course.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

GCrites

TempoNick

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aBs-2wtNhbht6m_HUhQkGwsMtPJdfQmR/view?usp=share_link

Whoever is doing this, they goof these shields up all the time around Columbus. Maybe it doesn't matter since each road has a unique number, but the lack of attention to detail still bugs me.

Quote from: vtk on April 10, 2023, 09:31:01 AM

ODOT put a US 317 shield on a BGS on 270 a few years ago. Also perfect, aside from the wrong kind of route of course.

I remember that, but at least they covered it over in pretty short order. Some of these shields hang around for years.

tigerwings

A couple years ago US 66 signs were up in the  6-66  near the Henry-Williams county border. Gone now. Suspect the construction put them up

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: GCrites80s on April 10, 2023, 09:36:49 AM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on April 09, 2023, 10:10:17 PM

That's new. :o

It's not actually; check my Instagram back in 2017 or so.

edit: 2020
Somehow I've missed this in my occasional visits to Canal Winchester since Covid.

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone remember where exactly the "US" 317 sign on Interstate 270 was located? I've checked all locations of the OH 317 signs on Google Maps Street View and all of them are accurately show Highway 317 as a state highway.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 11, 2023, 01:06:24 PM
Does anyone remember where exactly the "US" 317 sign on Interstate 270 was located? I've checked all locations of the OH 317 signs on Google Maps Street View and all of them are accurately show Highway 317 as a state highway.
Between I-670/US 62 & Broad St (Oh 16).

frankenroad

Quote from: TempoNick on April 10, 2023, 12:20:49 PM

Whoever is doing this, they goof these shields up all the time around Columbus. Maybe it doesn't matter since each road has a unique number, but the lack of attention to detail still bugs me.

It's not unique to Columbus - it's rampant across the state, and it drives me nuts.  For almost three years there was a LGS (little green sign) in Cincinnati directing people to I-71, and it had an OH-71 shield on it.  I'm sure it was an ODOT sign, not a locally-installed one.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

TempoNick

Quote from: frankenroad on April 11, 2023, 03:51:13 PM

It's not unique to Columbus - it's rampant across the state, and it drives me nuts.  For almost three years there was a LGS (little green sign) in Cincinnati directing people to I-71, and it had an OH-71 shield on it.  I'm sure it was an ODOT sign, not a locally-installed one.

This is not rocket science. I don't understand how they can be so incompetent.

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on April 11, 2023, 01:14:21 PM

Between I-670/US 62 & Broad St (Oh 16).

Going northbound. If you look closely at the signs directing you to the exit ramp, you can see where they covered it over with the new shield. I forget if they pop riveted a new shield or if it's a decal, but they covered it over.

thenetwork

My favorite error was on I-90 at the Lorain Avenue exit on the near west side.

When they replaced the original BGS's in the Early 90s, OH-10 became US-10!  Then when they caught the error, they replaced the US-10 shields with OH-10 shields...

Just one problem...The state of Ohio symbol was reversed!  That error lasted much longer than the US-10 debacle!

TempoNick

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 11, 2023, 01:06:24 PM

You can see it on Google Maps if you use Street View

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BP8_xV_geqfeIwfvessulR6WuIrk0-ld/view?usp=drivesdk

74/171FAN

I saw signs being replaced on I-77 NB at I-70 earlier today when I looped around Cambridge.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

TempoNick

Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 13, 2023, 08:22:04 PM
I saw signs being replaced on I-77 NB at I-70 earlier today when I looped around Cambridge.

What's the name of that font in your avatar? Is it Clearview or some updated version of Highway Gothic or whatever the official name is or something else?

74/171FAN

Quote from: TempoNick on April 14, 2023, 12:36:53 AM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 13, 2023, 08:22:04 PM

What's the name of that font in your avatar? Is it Clearview or some updated version of Highway Gothic or whatever the official name is or something else?

I never posted an avatar.  I presume that you are referring to the "County Road, Arterial, Freeway, etc." settings you get based on the number of posts, and I did not create those.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

PurdueBill

Quote from: vtk on April 10, 2023, 09:31:01 AM

I remember that, but at least they covered it over in pretty short order. Some of these shields hang around for years.

Seems to happen fairly frequently.
A number of years ago, they had US 202 shields at the end of the ramps to OH 202 from I-70 in Huber Heights.  They fixed them eventually.
There was a narrow (2-digit width) median-mounted US 315 shield on OH 315 SB in Columbus near the Goodale exit for a number of years, now gone. 
When the US 30 dual carriageway opened from OH 235 to Upper Sandusky in November 2007, there were several goofs standing on opening day (I drove through a couple hours after it opened): two BGSs westbound for US 68 had OH 68 shields, later covered with green-background US 68 shields; on the ramp from US 30 WB to OH 235, there is a US 235 shield which is still there, over 15 years later.
Back around 2016 they replaced a shield assembly at the WB beginning of OH 309 in Mansfield with a very large US 309 shield.  (If it had said "30S" they maybe could have gotten away with it.
Fairlawn replaced signs all along its stretch of OH 18 in late 2015, and US 18 shields appeared.  They were replaced in a few weeks with horrible shields with numerals that are possibly Clearview.
They seem to happen pretty widely, but then again they do in all other states too to some extent. 

SkyPesos

This one at the OH 561 exit?

Yep, I remember seeing this error going by it weekly then, and driving 12 year old me bonkers wondering why it's the wrong shield.

Interestingly, it looks like they simply pasted an interstate shield on it in 2016, then the entire sign display was taken down since 2018. So now there's no mention of the I-71 SB ramp going west on Williams Ave at all.

TempoNick

Speaking of goofball shields, this one has been in Worthington for a long time, at least 10 years. Anybody know the background story behind this? Did Ohio ever use circular shields? I don't think they did. At first, I thought they were using a round shield for historical accuracy.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/D9Sz43VhnsD3k45j8

SkyPesos

Quote from: TempoNick on April 16, 2023, 02:43:44 PM
Speaking of goofball shields, this one has been in Worthington for a long time, at least 10 years. Anybody know the background story behind this? Did Ohio ever use circular shields? I don't think they did. At first, I thought they were using a round shield for historical accuracy.

Chuck that back into Kentucky... or New Jersey... or whichever one of the (probably) 10 states that use circular SR shields

vtk

I'm pretty sure that was just a City of Worthington error.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I'm guessing at minimum 20 years, probably longer.
http://www.roadfan.com/worth.html

TempoNick

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on April 16, 2023, 10:07:11 PM

They made a big deal out of redoing the sidewalks and everything there. That is the epicenter of Worthington. They can afford new shields. I'm guessing they tried to give it a historic look . Maybe they found a picture with that old shield being used. Maybe the picture was wrong but they weren't shield geeks and went ahead and copied it?

Maybe Ohio did have round shields at the very beginning?

Bitmapped

Quote from: TempoNick on April 17, 2023, 12:10:10 AM

They made a big deal out of redoing the sidewalks and everything there. That is the epicenter of Worthington. They can afford new shields. I'm guessing they tried to give it a historic look . Maybe they found a picture with that old shield being used. Maybe the picture was wrong but they weren't shield geeks and went ahead and copied it?

Ohio has always used a state outline.

thenetwork

Quote from: Bitmapped on April 17, 2023, 11:05:05 AM
Quote from: TempoNick on April 17, 2023, 12:10:10 AM

Ohio has always used a state outline.

Definitely an error for well over 20 years.  Likely the original was done by the project contractor (NOT ODOT). And all subsequent replacements were simply copies of the circle shield without anyone taking a step back asking, "What's wrong with this shield?"

I'm amazes me how many road projects -- usually when it comes to a completely rehabbed or widened section of a road where the contractor will be in charge.of new signage.  They try to make it look exactly like the surrounding state or local signs, but still screw it up enough where you know it's a contractor's knock-off sign done on the cheap.

How hard is it to just use the sign source the state or municipality uses for all of their other signs, or negotiate for the locality to supply the "official" street blades and/or route shields, as 99.9% of the future sign replacements (except for the 161 circle sign) will be done correctly by the responsible  state or municipality?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.