News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

HAWK Thread

Started by MCRoads, December 11, 2017, 10:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What cycle do you like?

original HAWK
modified HAWK
what is a HAWK signal?
I like RYG ped signals.

kphoger

Quote from: Amtrakprod on October 28, 2022, 06:20:24 AM
Just because it's in the MUTCD, doesn't make it right.

Cities like Seattle will use PHB warrants for half signals. Cities in my area will program PHBs to not include the flashing red phase while FDW is on.

The MUTCD is a document, sure. And it's helpful in many cases, yes. But how good of an engineer are you if you follow it blindly?

It sounds like those engineers aren't following the MUTCD.  That doesn't make the MUTCD 'wrong'.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

The MUTCD is, has been, and will continue to be a flexible document, meant primarily to keep things consistent from state to state. It's a book of standards. There is always room for personal interpretation and innovation, and there isn't necessarily anything wrong with that.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: kphoger on October 28, 2022, 09:24:48 AM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on October 28, 2022, 06:20:24 AM
Just because it's in the MUTCD, doesn't make it right.

Cities like Seattle will use PHB warrants for half signals. Cities in my area will program PHBs to not include the flashing red phase while FDW is on.

The MUTCD is a document, sure. And it's helpful in many cases, yes. But how good of an engineer are you if you follow it blindly?

It sounds like those engineers aren't following the MUTCD.  That doesn't make the MUTCD 'wrong'.
Never said wrong. It's helpful as a starting point, but it's good to modify and take a look at it in further, especially regarding the context. For PHBs specifically;
- are there many bicyclists that cross here.
-  What's the population, high % of school children or elderly?
- Is there a multi threat conflict?

Maybe it makes sense to go to Alt R right when FDW starts, or maybe you do a delay so pedestrians can get into the final lane, or maybe you just go Alt R after the FDW stops. It all depends!

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

jakeroot

I seem to recall the original LA-style HAWK (three-head signal) had no solid red phase. Solid green > Solid Yellow > Flashing Red > Solid green.

In theory, drivers have a flashing red, and must stop anytime the signal is active. So the danger to pedestrians should be very minimal unless they just straight up run the flashing red.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jakeroot on October 31, 2022, 12:36:59 AM
I seem to recall the original LA-style HAWK (three-head signal) had no solid red phase. Solid green > Solid Yellow > Flashing Red > Solid green.

In theory, drivers have a flashing red, and must stop anytime the signal is active. So the danger to pedestrians should be very minimal unless they just straight up run the flashing red.
Which they do, hence why I prefer the solid red. I would say that 75% of drivers do not make complete stops at stop signs, right turns on red, etc, and I'm being generous. As someone who does, I get irritated that others do not.

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

kphoger

Quote from: Amtrakprod on October 31, 2022, 04:24:29 PM
I would say that 75% of drivers do not make complete stops at stop signs, right turns on red, etc, and I'm being generous. As someone who does, I get irritated that others do not.

As a pedestrian, I've had that be much less of a problem at stop signs, but much more of a problem at stoplights–specifically the phenomenon that people turning right on red often blindly intrude into the crosswalk before stopping and looking.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: kphoger on October 31, 2022, 04:27:11 PM
I would say that 75% of drivers do not make complete stops at stop signs, right turns on red, etc, and I'm being generous. As someone who does, I get irritated that others do not.

As a pedestrian, I've had that be much less of a problem at stop signs, but much more of a problem at stoplights–specifically the phenomenon that people turning right on red often blindly intrude into the crosswalk before stopping and looking.
I've only been hit by a car once, and it was at a stop sign.

As for rights on red, I prefer to propose R10-11 (No Turn On Reds) instead of allowing vehicles to turn on red. It makes for a much safer environment

iPhone

Scott5114

Quote from: Amtrakprod on October 31, 2022, 05:31:25 PM

As for rights on red, I prefer to propose R10-11 (No Turn On Reds) instead of allowing vehicles to turn on red. It makes for a much safer environment

iPhone

Requiring cars to idle at a red light increases energy use, so it's actually bad for the environment.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Amtrakprod

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 31, 2022, 06:04:22 PM

iPhone

Requiring cars to idle at a red light increases energy use, so it's actually bad for the environment.
There's no evidence behind that, even if it seems true, especially with the adoption of automatic engine off cars that have become popular.

Furthermore, making the environment outside of a car more pleasant, which will result in less cars on the road.

So we'll keep prioritizing pedestrians, bicyclists, and buses, while restricting turns on red.

iPhone

Rothman

Quote from: Amtrakprod on October 31, 2022, 06:29:46 PM

iPhone

There's no evidence behind that, even if it seems true, especially with the adoption of automatic engine off cars that have become popular.

Furthermore, making the environment outside of a car more pleasant, which will result in less cars on the road.

So we'll keep prioritizing pedestrians, bicyclists, and buses, while restricting turns on red.

iPhone
Who's "we"? :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

Curiously, I found a HAWK signal placed before a school zone in Bermuda. The setup doesn't span both travel lanes.

(Yes, that small sign behind the signal says "kill your speed, not me".)

CoreySamson

Which they do, hence why I prefer the solid red. I would say that 75% of drivers do not make complete stops at stop signs, right turns on red, etc, and I'm being generous. As someone who does, I get irritated that others do not.

iPhone
Just a quick question, but why do you believe a solid red makes any difference over a flashing red? They pretty much accomplish the same thing, and in my experience (ofc yours might be different) drivers seem to treat them the same.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Scott5114

I wasn't aware that forcing cars to wait at red lights would do something about the 60 mph wind and 117% humidity here...

algorerhythms

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 31, 2022, 08:50:22 PM

I wasn't aware that forcing cars to wait at red lights would do something about the 60 mph wind and 117% humidity here...
When I was last in Oklahoma, I found walking outside in January actually quite pleasant. Walking outside along 12th Avenue in Norman, not so much.

jakeroot

Are you saying that drivers frequently run flashing red lights? I'm not sure that I would agree with that. Many drivers do California stops, sure. That is common even here in Japan. But I've never seen intersections where drivers just straight up blow through a flashing red. That's exceptionally unusual.

JoePCool14

I would say that 75% of drivers do not make complete stops at stop signs, right turns on red, etc, and I’m being generous. As someone who does, I get irritated that others do not.

As a pedestrian, I've had that be much less of a problem at stop signs, but much more of a problem at stoplights—specifically the phenomenon that people turning right on red often blindly intrude into the crosswalk before stopping and looking.
I’ve only been hit by a car once, and it was at a stop sign.

iPhone

There’s no evidence behind that, even if it seems true, especially with the adoption of automatic engine off cars that have become popular.

So we’ll keep prioritizing pedestrians, bicyclists, and buses, while restricting turns on red.

My family has a car that has an auto-engine stop. There's a button to disable it, but you have to press it each time you start the car. Guess what I do every time I drive it?

Also, I see lots of drivers ignoring NTOR, especially in situations where the prohibition isn't justified due to a lack of sight or very high speeds. So NTOR can end up being a nuisance to those who obey it, and doesn't stop people from ignoring it anyways. NTOR should only be used where it is absolutely justified.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Amtrakprod

Pleasant meaning safer, obviously.

iPhone

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jakeroot on November 01, 2022, 01:22:10 AM

Are you saying that drivers frequently run flashing red lights? I'm not sure that I would agree with that. Many drivers do California stops, sure. That is common even here in Japan. But I've never seen intersections where drivers just straight up blow through a flashing red. That's exceptionally unusual.
I'm saying California stops, which IMO, is running a flashing red. Full stops is what the signal is requiring, it's not a flashing yellow arrow !

iPhone

Amtrakprod

Quote from: Rothman on October 31, 2022, 06:31:18 PM

iPhone

iPhone
At my job, in the transpo industry, just generally. It's different in every state, but in Massachusetts, rights on red; just don't make a lot of sense most of them.

iPhone

Rothman

Quote from: Amtrakprod on November 01, 2022, 04:44:06 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 31, 2022, 06:31:18 PM

iPhone

iPhone
At my job, in the transpo industry, just generally. It's different in every state, but in Massachusetts, rights on red; just don't make a lot of sense most of them.
iPhone

So, you work in the "transpo industry."  If you mean a private contractor, I don't see how you would be able to dictate when rights on red are implemented.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Quote from: Amtrakprod on November 01, 2022, 04:42:05 PM

Pleasant meaning safer, obviously.

I mean, I'd probably be a lot safer if I went around town wearing a football helmet and pads. I'm guessing it wouldn't be very pleasant, though.

US 89

Regarding the auto-engine stop: my mom's car has one of those. I get that it's better for the environment, but it bothers me to no end whenever I have to drive her car because it also locks the steering wheel. Seems bad practice to lock a wheel in a car that you're supposed to be in full control of.

jakeroot

Quote from: US 89 on November 01, 2022, 10:24:54 PM
Regarding the auto-engine stop: my mom's car has one of those. I get that it's better for the environment, but it bothers me to no end whenever I have to drive her car because it also locks the steering wheel. Seems bad practice to lock a wheel in a car that you're supposed to be in full control of.

Becoming less of an issue with mild hybrid systems becoming more common. Usually nudging the steering wheel kicks the engine back on, though.

jakeroot

Quote from: Amtrakprod on November 01, 2022, 04:42:48 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 01, 2022, 01:22:10 AM

I'm saying California stops, which IMO, is running a flashing red. Full stops is what the signal is requiring, it's not a flashing yellow arrow !

Practically speaking, you really should draw a line between failure to completely stop and blowing through a stop condition. Most drivers will still yield to pedestrians under "California stop" conditions and speeds are usually very low (2-5 mph); total failure to even recognize a stop condition is a serious danger as blowing through at-speed could easily kill someone walking/riding/rolling/driving.

For example, at a HAWK, California stops are pretty reasonable. It's usually obvious enough if there is a pedestrian warranting a complete stop (and yield). But blowing through the alternating red without even slowing down is insanely dangerous. I wouldn't personally support solid red at a HAWK unless the latter has become common. Slowing down, looking for danger, and then continuing, is more than reasonable. I assume the Netherlands agrees, as they don't hardly ever use stop signs.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on November 01, 2022, 11:12:21 PM
Most drivers will still yield to pedestrians under "California stop" conditions and speeds are usually very low (2-5 mph)

In my experience, drivers don't yield to pedestrians until they actually see one, and they don't start looking for them until they've already entered the crosswalk during their "California stop" routine.

This doesn't mean I'm against less-than-complete stops.  It just means people need to learn how to properly yield.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.