News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Reno Spaghetti Bowl

Started by roadfro, January 13, 2018, 10:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

More components of what I'm guessing is still part of phase one are beginning:

QuotePer NDOT:

With more than 250,000 drivers traveling through the spaghetti bowl every day, the Nevada Department of Transportation is giving motorists a look ahead at spaghetti bowl construction and reminding drivers of options to keep updated on ramp and lane closures.

Launched in summer 2020, the Spaghetti Bowl Xpress project has already reconstructed aging concrete on northbound I-580 near Mill Street.

As construction continues through 2022, drivers will see ramp and lane closures and shifts at the spaghetti bowl, as well as on I-580 and side streets between the spaghetti bowl and Villanova Drive.

In 2021, construction will largely focus on reconstructing and widening eastbound I-80 to I-580 spaghetti bowl ramps, as well as realigning Mill and Second street ramps for enhanced access to and from southbound I-580. Neighborhood wall installation and utility work will also take place.

- https://www.kolotv.com/2020/12/31/ndot-crews-set-to-work-on-next-phase-of-spaghetti-bowl-project/?fbclid=IwAR3h89G5PjVlNp1O-_xYBsh0yUkXPLRxyWvFCxiVQlsnnwfMH09Kc3d_Rw4

As a reminder here is the project website: https://ndotspaghettibowl.com/

I believe this is still phase one just new construction components starting. NDOT states improvements and will continue through 2040. Maybe that timeline will be expedited. I like Reno and I'm going there more and more and to me it looks like besides the interchange itself nothing is in dire shape or extreme traffic. I'm glad to see more work here starting.

roadfro

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on December 31, 2020, 01:13:51 PM
I believe this is still phase one just new construction components starting. NDOT states improvements and will continue through 2040. Maybe that timeline will be expedited. I like Reno and I'm going there more and more and to me it looks like besides the interchange itself nothing is in dire shape or extreme traffic. I'm glad to see more work here starting.

Yes this is still phase one of the overall five phases of the Reno Spaghetti Bowl project, referred to as "SBX"  (Spaghetti Bowl Express).

The construction that started in the fall was the work to replace aging concrete in the northbound I-580 lanes (which I'm still surprised they didn't do years ago in conjunction with the I-580 northbound widening in the previous decade). That work is still ongoing, but the most disruptive part for traffic (involving a temporary split to accommodate paving in what was essentially the #2 & #3 lanesj has concluded.

In late November/early December, the first visible work on the capacity-improving elements of the SBX project began. This includes shoulder work along southbound I-580 south of the Bowl  (which appears to be for future widening), as well as earthwork adjacent to part of the existing 80 EB-to-580 SB ramp for its realignment.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadfro

The SBX project is well underway now, and this past week began a phase of construction NDOT is calling "The Big Squeeze"

Major Traffic Change Known as "Big Squeeze" Begins Tomorrow as Part of Reno Spaghetti Bowl Xpress Construction (NDOT Press Release, 3/16/2021)
CARSON CITY, Nev. — Major Interstate 580 lane and merge changes dubbed the "Big Squeeze"  will launch the morning of March 17 as part of continuing Nevada Department of Transportation Reno spaghetti bowl improvements.

The "Big Squeeze"  name reflects new lane and merge changes that will "squeeze"  traffic lanes through the spaghetti bowl beginning at 6a.m. March 17 through spring 2022. The temporary lane configurations are needed for ramp and bridge improvements. Initially scheduled for March 12, the lane changes were rescheduled due to weather and are subject to change based on future weather.

March 17: The "Big Squeeze"  Begins at 6a.m. With New Lane/Merge Patterns —Subject to change based on weather
The following merge/lane switches will begin at 6a.m. March 17 and be in place through spring 2022:
  • Westbound I-80 to southbound I-580 traffic will merge directly onto I-580 lanes as opposed to the current dedicated merge lane.
  • Eastbound I-80 to southbound I-580 spaghetti bowl ramp will be temporarily reconfigured to one lane, with a dedicated lane to southbound I-580.
  • Southbound I-580 travel lanes will be additionally shifted directly south of the spaghetti bowl to make room for ramp improvements.
    (...)
    The improvements are part of construction of the first phase of NDOT's spaghetti bowl renovations, known as Spaghetti Bowl Xpress. Over the next two years, the eastbound I-80 to southbound I-580 Spaghetti Bowl ramp will be widened to two lanes and eastbound Interstate 80 lanes between Wells Avenue and the Spaghetti Bowl striped. On southbound I-580, auxiliary merge lanes and improved ramps will also be added between the Spaghetti Bowl and Plumb Lane, along with sound and aesthetic walls. The first phase of construction will not require relocation of any residences.

Project information and sign-up for e-mail project updates is available at www.ndotspaghettibowl.com.
This squeeze will be a choking point for a while... In the existing condition SB US 395 already loses a lane approaching I-80, so that the WB I-80 to SB I-580 movement can have a dedicated lane. Under the big squeeze, that WB>SB movement will be an additional merge. That movement isn't the dominant movement at the interchange, but it's busy enough during the morning rush (along with the already existing heavy southbound flows from the north valleys) that it's likely gonna make morning commutes miserable for those from the north for a while.

The I-580 southbound lanes have been shifted just at the E 2nd St & Mill St overpasses for a few weeks now, as half of those bridges were torn down so they can be reconstructed to accommodate the wider southbound travel lanes. But now this is a long-term shift to the northbound lanes for the longer stretch between I-80 to past Mill St to additionally accommodate widening/realigning the I-80 ramps to SB I-580, widening bridges over 4th St and the Truckee River, and reconstructing/widening the main SB travel lanes.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadfro

Bumping for an update on the Spaghetti Bowl Express project:

This past week, a few nighttime closures paved the way (pun intended) for I-580 southbound traffic to be shifted to the west side of the roadway onto reconstructed bridges and newly-paved lanes built for the SBX project. The shifts should be complete tomorrow morning for what NDOT is calling a "sneak peek" of the ultimate improvements.

Southbound I-580 Lane Shifts and Ramp Closures as Reno Spaghetti Bowl Work Zone Shifts, NDOT Press Release, 5/6/2022
CARSON CITY, Nev. — Major Interstate 580 lane and merge changes dubbed the "Sneak Peek"  will launch the week of May 9 as part of continuing Nevada Department of Transportation Reno spaghetti bowl improvements.

The "Sneak Peek"  name reflects the fact that drivers will get a first look at newly-constructed interstate lanes as southbound traffic is switched to travel the new lanes while reconstruction continues in the interstate median.
<...>
Beginning at 6 a.m. May 16, southbound I-580 lanes between the spaghetti bowl and Villanova Drive will slightly switch to the right-hand, or western, side of the interstate. 

The new traffic configuration will place southbound motorists on three new lanes and five newly-widened bridges constructed over the past year and a half. Approximately 25,000 cubic yards of concrete was used to pave the new lanes.
<...>
Following the lane changes, the work zone will shift to reconstruct middle interstate lanes. Spaghetti Bowl Xpress renovations will substantially complete at the end of the year, with continuing lane and ramp closures through the end of the year.

SSR_317

Quote from: roadfro on May 15, 2022, 02:22:21 PM
Bumping for an update on the Spaghetti Bowl Express project:

This past week, a few nighttime closures paved the way (pun intended) for I-580 southbound traffic to be shifted to the west side of the roadway onto reconstructed bridges and newly-paved lanes built for the SBX project. The shifts should be complete tomorrow morning for what NDOT is calling a "sneak peek" of the ultimate improvements.

Southbound I-580 Lane Shifts and Ramp Closures as Reno Spaghetti Bowl Work Zone Shifts, NDOT Press Release, 5/6/2022
CARSON CITY, Nev. — Major Interstate 580 lane and merge changes dubbed the "Sneak Peek"  will launch the week of May 9 as part of continuing Nevada Department of Transportation Reno spaghetti bowl improvements.

The "Sneak Peek"  name reflects the fact that drivers will get a first look at newly-constructed interstate lanes as southbound traffic is switched to travel the new lanes while reconstruction continues in the interstate median.
<...>
Beginning at 6 a.m. May 16, southbound I-580 lanes between the spaghetti bowl and Villanova Drive will slightly switch to the right-hand, or western, side of the interstate. 

The new traffic configuration will place southbound motorists on three new lanes and five newly-widened bridges constructed over the past year and a half. Approximately 25,000 cubic yards of concrete was used to pave the new lanes.
<...>
Following the lane changes, the work zone will shift to reconstruct middle interstate lanes. Spaghetti Bowl Xpress renovations will substantially complete at the end of the year, with continuing lane and ramp closures through the end of the year.
Thanks for the update!

roadfro

Bumping to note that NDOT announced yesterday that the "Spaghetti Bowl Xpress" project is substantially complete. This included I-580/US 395 SB widening and ramp reconfigurations from the bowl to about two miles south, along with the widening of the I-80 EB to 580/395 SB ramp.

https://twitter.com/nevadadotreno/status/1603087926635597824

The roadway improvements themselves are good, and will be very helpful once local traffic has adjusted. Some of the new overhead signage is not the best quality.

stevashe

Quote from: roadfro on December 15, 2022, 11:58:26 AM
Some of the new overhead signage is not the best quality.

Fingers crossed that this is just because the signs are still a WIP. Signage is one thing that is often still being worked on past substantial completion.

roadfro

Quote from: stevashe on December 20, 2022, 02:13:20 PM

Fingers crossed that this is just because the signs are still a WIP. Signage is one thing that is often still being worked on past substantial completion.
Nope, it's final signage. The project is basically done and they're just down to punch list items.

My main gripe is the new APLs on I-80 EB approaching 580/395. Text is oversized, and they used bubble interstate shields. There's also the new I-580 NB APLs, which are mostly ok except the use of "Sparks" as control city for I-80 EB instead of the more distant "Elko" (WB is using "Sacramento").

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: roadfro on December 20, 2022, 11:25:57 PM

Nope, it's final signage. The project is basically done and they're just down to punch list items.

My main gripe is the new APLs on I-80 EB approaching 580/395. Text is oversized, and they used bubble interstate shields. There's also the new I-580 NB APLs, which are mostly ok except the use of "Sparks" as control city for I-80 EB instead of the more distant "Elko" (WB is using "Sacramento").

When I say we need to modernize control cities, this is ... not what I have in mind

Sparks and no Elko? At least go Fernley if you're going to mix things up. Ugh. Engineers.

roadfro

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on December 28, 2022, 12:48:49 AM
Quote from: roadfro on December 20, 2022, 11:25:57 PM

When I say we need to modernize control cities, this is ... not what I have in mind

Sparks and no Elko? At least go Fernley if you're going to mix things up. Ugh. Engineers.
The old NB signs used two cities: "Reno / Sacramento" for WB and "Sparks / Elko" EB, which was much better.

And now that I'm thinking about it and had a second look at them, the new NB APLs shouldn't be APLs at all, at least where posted...there isn't an option lane...

cl94

The new signs are indeed, um, not great. 36A shouldn't be an APL at all, 36B is confusing, and I hate using Sparks as a control city if the city line is spitting distance away. Photo is mine from October, 36A tab has since been added to the first assembly.

I will say that the improvement in weaving congestion along SB I-580 is very noticeable. Now if they could fix the crumbling concrete between Plumb and South Meadows...
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.