News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Madison Area

Started by peterj920, February 24, 2019, 09:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Quote from: Rothman on May 08, 2023, 09:01:43 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on May 08, 2023, 07:53:21 PM
When "BRT" utilizes existing streets -  even if it has dedicated lanes, it's still not Bus Rapid Transit.
What about signal priority?
Works, but still cross streets.

True BRT has it's own right-of-way and is set up like a dedicated rail.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 08, 2023, 10:08:11 PM
Ideally, BRT has it's own right-of-way and is set up like a dedicated rail.

Wouldn't that be more accurate? ;)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

JREwing78

Channel3000.com (the local CBS affiliate) has a feature article discussing the Flex Lanes on the Madison Beltline:

Behind the scenes: A look at the nerve center that monitors the Flex Lanes and other Wisconsin highways
https://www.channel3000.com/news/behind-the-scenes-a-look-at-the-nerve-center-that-monitors-the-flex-lanes-and/article_68832048-e07c-11ed-9764-1b6521fe2bdd.html

The Ghostbuster

Has anyone used the Beltline flex lanes?

SEWIGuy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 09, 2023, 02:02:52 PM

Yep. Not really all that remarkable.

peterj920

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 09, 2023, 02:02:52 PM

Yes and it's really helped my afternoon commute! It's helped a lot during rush hour and they work great as long as there isn't a crash! There have been a lot of speed limit 55 signs posted in the median recently since so many people drive between 70-80 mph in that lane when it's open.

triplemultiplex

I was actually on the Beltline last Friday when they turned the flex lanes on for the afternoon rush.  Though I was already east of the more typically congested part of the Beltline, obviously there was a noticeable improvement to the flow of things.  Even used it myself as other cars were jostling for position at the Stoughton Rd exit.

I have also seen cheaters using it when its supposed to be closed just so they can keep doing 70 or whatever.  One was one of those crotch rocket donorcycles, but those people are maniacs anyway.

thspfc

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 10, 2023, 09:51:37 AM
I was actually on the Beltline last Friday when they turned the flex lanes on for the afternoon rush.  Though I was already east of the more typically congested part of the Beltline, obviously there was a noticeable improvement to the flow of things.  Even used it myself as other cars were jostling for position at the Stoughton Rd exit.

I have also seen cheaters using it when its supposed to be closed just so they can keep doing 70 or whatever.  One was one of those crotch rocket donorcycles, but those people are maniacs anyway.
I thought you didn't believe in the concept of speeding? What changed?

on_wisconsin

Quote from: Rothman on May 08, 2023, 09:01:43 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on May 08, 2023, 07:53:21 PM
When "BRT" utilizes existing streets -  even if it has dedicated lanes, it's still not Bus Rapid Transit.
What about signal priority?
Works, but still cross streets.

True BRT has it's own right-of-way and is set up like a dedicated rail.

Hopefully, the City is using BRT as a proof of concept/ stepping stone for a potential streetcar system.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

The Ghostbuster

A streetcar line was proposed in the mid-2000s (a pet project of former mayor Dave Cieslewicz) and was not constructed. On the question of "what would induce you to ride the streetcar?", I posted the following: "I would only ride the streetcar if it picked me up at my doorstep and dropped me off right at my destination 24/7 without waiting or transfers." A commuter rail line from the Transport 2020 proposal was also turned down. I support the present Bus Rapid Transit proposal and prefer buses to trains.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: thspfc on May 10, 2023, 10:50:48 AM

Nuance!  Ever heard of it?  Doing 70 on a crowded urban freeway posted at 55 is NOT the same thing as being in the middle of decelerating and technically still like 5 over the posted limit being strictly enforced by corrupt, fascist cops.

thspfc

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 11, 2023, 02:36:49 PM

Nuance!  Ever heard of it?  Doing 70 on a crowded urban freeway posted at 55 is NOT the same thing as being in the middle of decelerating and technically still like 5 over the posted limit being strictly enforced by corrupt, fascist cops.
Both are breaking the law and potentially dangerous. And whether the cops are "corrupt"  or "fascist"  (they're not) is irrelevant to whether or not you're breaking the law.

tchafe1978

Quote from: thspfc on May 11, 2023, 03:36:31 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 11, 2023, 02:36:49 PM

Both are breaking the law and potentially dangerous. And whether the cops are "corrupt"  or "fascist"  (they're not) is irrelevant to whether or not you're breaking the law.

Somebody must've gotten pulled over once in Rosendale.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 09, 2023, 09:31:16 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 05, 2023, 09:13:04 AM
If you don't like it, don't drive through it.

Waaay ahead of you.

I've said my peace about this topic.

algorerhythms

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 09, 2023, 09:37:59 AM
Ideally, BRT has it's own right-of-way and is set up like a dedicated rail.

Wouldn't that be more accurate? ;)
If it doesn't have its own right of way, then what makes it different from a normal bus?

triplemultiplex

Signal prioritization lets the BRT through the intersection before regular traffic.
Stations are designed like light rail stations with elevated platforms, awnings, and digital signage indicating when the next bus arrives.
There are also fewer stops than a typical bus route.

algorerhythms

The only one of those that makes the buses run much faster is the signal prioritization, and that only matters if the bus isn't stuck behind cars, which it likely will be if it doesn't have its own right of way.

JoePCool14

Sounds like they needed some of these. Probably not feasible, given the sheer distance of the flex lanes, but these might've helped. No, they wouldn't need to be spaced this closely.

https://goo.gl/maps/rbroDrK8boQdRJ2a8

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

thspfc

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 12, 2023, 09:48:16 PM

Sounds like they needed some of these. Probably not feasible, given the sheer distance of the flex lanes, but these might've helped. No, they wouldn't need to be spaced this closely.

https://goo.gl/maps/rbroDrK8boQdRJ2a8
I feel like those could cause collisions when speeding clowns have to merge right into thick, slower traffic to avoid them.

WisJohn

Broom Street is closed at John Nolen for much of the summer. North Shore or Blair are the options, although you couldn't make a left turn from Blair to East Wash  :-/

The Ghostbuster

Speaking of John Nolen Dr., there is a proposed reconstruction project planned in the near future: https://www.cityofmadison.com/engineering/projects/john-nolen-drive.

dvferyance

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 22, 2023, 10:53:37 AM
Speaking of John Nolen Dr., there is a proposed reconstruction project planned in the near future: https://www.cityofmadison.com/engineering/projects/john-nolen-drive.
It sure needs it more than Washington Ave does.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 19, 2023, 11:00:10 AM
Ooh we have alternatives now.  This will be fun.

Gonna start with the East Town Interchange because I see two alternatives here that are non-starters.  There is way too much commuter traffic continuing on East Wash between the Isthmus and Sun Prairie to force that traffic to exit at a diamond and weave its way under a system interchange between US 151 and the interstate.  I know WisDOT has been a fan of trying to separate system and surface traffic like that at places like Beloit, Green Bay and Wausau, but that is NOT going to work in this location.  Therefore only their alternatives 1 and 2 are viable.

Next I'll note my surprise that WisDOT sees the need for collector/distributor roadways between the Badger Interchange and the East Town Interchange since that's a fairly long distance, but I guess.  Alternative 1 for the Badger interchange is better because it uses less land. Big fan of moving all the left exits to the right.  The existing left-hand ramps are a big disruption to the flow of things, in my experience.

I do not support the addition of interchanges to the Triplex at Hoepker Rd or at I-94 and the east end of Milwaukee St.  Those will only encourage more sprawl and create more future issues with traffic merging on the freeway.  These freeways are to move vehicles thru Madison, not to subsidize real estate development.  I don't want to see this corridor clogged with more interchanges.  There are plenty as is.  The Hoepker Rd one is particularly egregious since it's so close to US 51.  Nuts to that.  I like that it's a few miles between exits as one drives by Madison.

Some of those alternatives for WI 19 are overkill.  A flyover NB->WB?  I don't see that happening.  Same deal for that U-ramp bullcrap.  I think I'm on board with the idea of switching the grading so WI 19 can bridge the railroad.

The DDI's at US 51 and County V are inevitable, I feel.  Good on them

I'd really like to see County CS turned into a diamond, just like they're doing to WI 60 right now.  The Pilot at that exit is the reason.  It'll make it easier for trucks to enter and exit the freeway to not deal with a loop.

Cascade Interchange, alternative 2 is better.  No need for such a high speed, expensive ramp from EB to NB in Alt 1.

WI 33's two interchanges with the freeways, go with the diamonds again.  Though I might tighten up the I-39 diamond so it impacts fewer wetlands.

At the Dells Parkway, I'd favor retaining the existing parclo but with the addition of a distributor ramp NB->WB that bypasses the ramp terminal signal at the south end of the interchange.  Just like how US 14 hits the Beltline in Madison.

Finally, I think the split diamond is the way to go at WI 13/County H.  The other option impacts protected DNR land along Hulbert Creek, a class 1 trout stream.  I've actually fished that creek just upstream from the interstate and the existing culvert under the ramps is somewhat of a barrier to fish passage from what I could see. 

Received an email today saying that WIDOT is considering moving US-151 onto the interstate and the Beltline as part of this project.

mgk920

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 27, 2023, 07:09:01 AM

Received an email today saying that WIDOT is considering moving US-151 onto the interstate and the Beltline as part of this project.

No words on any potential number for the 'old' road, I assume (ie, 'WI 251', 'WI 451','BR US 151', etc).  I would support this proposal, too, BTW.

Mike

JREwing78

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 27, 2023, 07:09:01 AM

It makes complete sense. This is the only section of US-151 on a city street in-between the Mississippi and Fond du Lac. While it's understandable to want to have a signed navigable route to and through downtown Madison, there is no reason for through traffic on US-151 to follow the signed route.

I would not be opposed to a special "Capitol Loop" designation, but instead of following the existing designated US-151 routing, I'd route it on E. Washington, Blair Ave St, and John Nolen Dr back to the Beltline. I don't see a purpose for Park St. or Regent Proudfit St to have a state highway designation, though if the City of Madison so desired, it could designate a University Loop to connect the Beltline to the UW campus.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.