News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Major sports annoyances

Started by Billy F 1988, May 01, 2021, 08:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP Cook

Soccer, the sport of the next generation.

Four generations and counting.

kphoger

Quote from: SP Cook on May 25, 2015, 01:37:05 PM
Soccer has been the sport of the next generation.  Four generations and counting.

Quote from: SP Cook on February 07, 2017, 10:47:07 AM
Soccer is the sport of the next generation.  Four generations and counting.

Quote from: SP Cook on April 11, 2017, 08:59:00 AM
By 2026 soccer will be the sport of the next generation.  Four generations and counting.

Quote from: SP Cook on August 15, 2017, 08:57:39 AM
The sport of the next generation, three generations and counting. 

Quote from: SP Cook on April 02, 2021, 12:46:39 PM
Soccer is the sport of the next generation, four generations and counting.

Quote from: SP Cook on May 05, 2021, 03:51:23 PM

Gee, but what do you think about it?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on May 05, 2021, 03:58:11 PM
Soccer has been the sport of the next generation.  Four generations and counting.

By 2026 soccer will be the sport of the next generation.  Four generations and counting.

Quote from: SP Cook on August 15, 2017, 08:57:39 AM
The sport of the next generation, three generations and counting. 

Quote from: SP Cook on April 02, 2021, 12:46:39 PM
Soccer is the sport of the next generation, four generations and counting.

Quote from: SP Cook on May 05, 2021, 03:51:23 PM

The real question is why he changed his opinion in August 2017.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on May 05, 2021, 03:58:11 PM

Interesting progression there!

US 89

Quote from: ran4sh on May 03, 2021, 08:40:58 PM
Georgia's best university is Emory, but it doesn't have a football team. Its best university *with* a football team is also the best football team, UGA.

Georgia Tech would beg to differ on both counts.

ran4sh

Quote from: US 89 on May 05, 2021, 06:01:31 PM
Georgia's best university is Emory, but it doesn't have a football team. Its best university *with* a football team is also the best football team, UGA.

They call themselves an Institute so I'm ok with leaving them out of "best university" discussions.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

texaskdog

Soccer fans remind me of classical music fans, who think they have the most highbrow music yet hardly anyone listens to it, or people who watch TV shows that are perceived as so intellectual and so good but they are canceled because no one watches them.   That's why we have Nascar, Country Music, and Jerry Springer.

Alps

Quote from: ran4sh on May 05, 2021, 06:06:09 PM

They call themselves an Institute so I'm ok with leaving them out of "best university" discussions.
"The Georgia Institute of Technology, commonly referred to as Georgia Tech or, in the state of Georgia, as Tech, is a public research university..."
University.

Roadgeekteen

Institute is just another word to say university.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

OCGuy81

I gave soccer a chance.  I watched some World Cup games, I've been to two Timbers games in Portland.  It's not bad, but not really my thing.  I will, however, give some credit where it's due.

- The fans are pretty electric, at least in Portland.  They really get into it!

- I like that the clock doesn't stop, and penalty time is just tacked on to the end.  I love American football, but damn it gets annoying with the clock stopping every time a flag is thrown.  I think when my wife and I first started dating, we were getting ready to go meet some friends, and she thought the 2 minute warning meant two minutes left in the game. Ha ha.

Roadgeekteen

NBA: Tanking my god I hate tanking

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

texaskdog

Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 05, 2021, 07:31:33 PM
I gave soccer a chance.  I watched some World Cup games, I've been to two Timbers games in Portland.  It's not bad, but not really my thing.  I will, however, give some credit where it's due.

- The fans are pretty electric, at least in Portland.  They really get into it!

- I like that the clock doesn't stop, and penalty time is just tacked on to the end.  I love American football, but damn it gets annoying with the clock stopping every time a flag is thrown.  I think when my wife and I first started dating, we were getting ready to go meet some friends, and she thought the 2 minute warning meant two minutes left in the game. Ha ha.

So tired of so many penalties or that declined penalties are announced.

ran4sh

Quote from: Alps on May 05, 2021, 06:29:19 PM

"The Georgia Institute of Technology, commonly referred to as Georgia Tech or, in the state of Georgia, as Tech, is a public research university..."
University.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 05, 2021, 06:32:58 PM

Institute is just another word to say university.

Right, but it's specifically in their style guide to not use the term University to refer to themselves, only the term Institute.

https://brand.gatech.edu/our-voice/editorial-style-guide/grammar

"Abbreviate Georgia Institute of Technology only as Georgia Tech, the Institute, or Tech."

"GT, GIT, the University, and Ga. Tech should never be used in running copy."

In any case I at least stand by my original points that Emory is the best university in GA and the University (the University of Georgia) is the best university in GA that has an NCAA football team.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

kphoger

Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 05, 2021, 07:31:33 PM
... soccer ... I like that the clock doesn't stop, and penalty time is just tacked on to the end.

Yes.  Every sport should do this.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

rawmustard

Quote from: texaskdog on May 05, 2021, 11:47:14 PM
So tired of so many penalties or that declined penalties are announced.

At least in football the officials know they need to keep the audience informed of what's going on (be it penalties or video review). In MLB, the audience typically has no idea on why a review might be called or other administrative tasks as the umpires aren't miced up. It even is a detriment to away announcers, who are still calling games remotely. (Jon Sciambi has brought this up numerous times this season, at least once when an umpire ejected someone in a dugout. Since the camera angle pointed over the dugout at the ump, the broadcasters had no idea exactly who was ejected, something they need to be able to communicate to viewers.)

thspfc

Quote from: texaskdog on May 05, 2021, 06:06:42 PM
Soccer fans remind me of classical music fans, who think they have the most highbrow music yet hardly anyone listens to it, or people who watch TV shows that are perceived as so intellectual and so good but they are canceled because no one watches them.   That's why we have Nascar, Country Music, and Jerry Springer.
Who are you referencing? MLS fans? If so you have a point. But in Europe and South America, soccer is the NFL but even more important.

Roadgeekteen

When people say that the MLS is more popular/a bigger deal than the NHL. The best hockey player on earth goes to the NHL. The best soccer player on earth does NOT go to the MLS.

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 07, 2021, 11:47:26 PM
When people say that the MLS is more popular/a bigger deal than the NHL. The best hockey player on earth goes to the NHL. The best soccer player on earth does NOT go to the MLS.
Popularity would be measured by number of fans. Not by attendance, because arenas inherently have less capacity than open-air stadiums. It's tough to gauge that, but here's a graph of sport by "what's your favorite":
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1074264/sports-leagues-age/
NFL, MLB, NBA are the clear top 3. NHL is tied with MLS in younger groups but still ahead in older, so I would say NHL is still more popular on that basis. The number of immigrants from soccer-friendly countries is changing the mix, and they do tend to be younger, so at some point this will change unless NHL (with its recent agreements) boosts its popularity.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Alps on May 08, 2021, 12:59:28 AM
Popularity would be measured by number of fans. Not by attendance, because arenas inherently have less capacity than open-air stadiums. It's tough to gauge that, but here's a graph of sport by "what's your favorite":
NFL, MLB, NBA are the clear top 3. NHL is tied with MLS in younger groups but still ahead in older, so I would say NHL is still more popular on that basis. The number of immigrants from soccer-friendly countries is changing the mix, and they do tend to be younger, so at some point this will change unless NHL (with its recent agreements) boosts its popularity.
MLS might become more popular, but NHL will always be more prestigious. Also among my classmates, NHL is way more popular than MLS.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 08, 2021, 01:11:13 AM
MLS might become more popular, but NHL will always be more prestigious. Also among my classmates, NHL is way more popular than MLS.

Because of Christian Pulisic, I started following the German and then the English leagues. After watching those leagues, it's hard to watch MLS because the level of play is so much lower.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Scott5114

isn't that just because other countries care more about soccer than they do hockey
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 08, 2021, 11:33:39 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 08, 2021, 01:11:13 AM

Because of Christian Pulisic, I started following the German and then the English leagues. After watching those leagues, it's hard to watch MLS because the level of play is so much lower.

That goes with what I said on the last page that many American soccer fans are heavily invested in European leagues, but generally couldn't give two shits about MLS. In MLS cities, some fans care about their local team but couldn't care less about the rest of the league.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 08, 2021, 03:51:53 PM

isn't that just because other countries care more about soccer than they do hockey
Yes, I guess.

hotdogPi

Ice hockey is not just a US/Canada thing. It's fairly popular in northern Europe.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 1 on May 08, 2021, 04:52:34 PM
Ice hockey is not just a US/Canada thing. It's fairly popular in northern Europe.

Basketball is very popular worldwide, and even American football has pockets of popularity worldwide. Of course the major difference is that for baseball/basketball/hockey, the best players in the world go to North America to play, and in soccer the best players in the world go to Europe to play.

I wonder if there is any chance that one of the top European leagues would be willing to work out an affiliation deal with MLS? Have the entire league move to the US for the first 4 or 6 matches of the season and require teams to loan players to their MLS affiliates.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.