News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Illinois isn't flat

Started by Crash_It, July 30, 2021, 09:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Why would I think Illinois was flat?  I used to live in the southern part of the state.

Oh, wait, I forgot.  People in Chicago think the rest of the state doesn't exist, so they assume we must think that too.

https://goo.gl/maps/5a3fyMGAxXFRTR2b8
https://goo.gl/maps/UP9BZHqCmoXoiV42A
https://goo.gl/maps/W4nYR9jAu7ZzhhKS7
https://goo.gl/maps/j8gtKcz2hqVLJfWMA
https://goo.gl/maps/dS18P2TCdb1pdE6k6
https://goo.gl/maps/G7PULpCNtiGeCEGR8
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 89

Quote from: kphoger on August 02, 2021, 03:22:17 PM
Oh, wait, I forgot.  People in Chicago think the rest of the state doesn't exist, so they assume we must think that too.

This is a very real phenomenon. I was recently in Chicago visiting my cousin (who currently goes to Northwestern) and met some of her friends from there. I asked what Illinois was like outside of Chicago and was unable to get a description of anywhere in the state farther than Will County.

kphoger

Quote from: US 89 on August 02, 2021, 07:16:02 PM

This is a very real phenomenon. I was recently in Chicago visiting my cousin (who currently goes to Northwestern) and met some of her friends from there. I asked what Illinois was like outside of Chicago and was unable to get a description of anywhere in the state farther than Will County.

Yeah.  To Chicagoans, the next thing west of Aurora is ... Iowa.

In the southern direction, Peotone is the edge of civilization.  Just past the edge, actually.  Somewhere vaguely south (and maybe kind of west? who knows?) is Springfield–which is important for mythical reasons but to which nobody ever has any real reason to actually travel.  South of Springfield is ... ummm, probably more corn ... or something.  And wow, that's the first time they've ever even thought about what exists beyond the reach of Metra.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

I've often wondered where else that phenomenon exists besides Chicago and New York City.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on August 02, 2021, 07:44:46 PM

I've often wondered where else that phenomenon exists besides Chicago and New York City.

California with the three big cities versus the rest of the State.  Phoenix certainly doesn't give most the perception that a giant pine forest is a 90 minute drive away.

US71

There are a few "prairie pimples"  down "Cham-bana" way.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

GCrites

I remember in high school one of our teachers was from southern Illinois. One day he showed some pictures of where he was from and I spotted a hill in one. Immediately I blurted out, "Is that a hill? He said, "Yes there are hills in that part of the state. I was flabbergasted. While there was the internet then, you didn't use it to find out if southern Illinois was hilly or not.

tchafe1978

There is a reason why Wisconsinites call people from Illinois "flatlanders", among other things.

Crash_It

Quote from: tchafe1978 on August 02, 2021, 11:55:09 PM
There is a reason why Wisconsinites call people from Illinois "flatlanders", among other things.

Yet Wisconsinites are in various parts of Illinois on the regular to know that is false. The only land in IL that I've seen that is truly flat is I57 around Tuscola and I55 between Dwight and Gardner.

Max Rockatansky

We all do in fact realize that this thread has literally become about whether a state with a peak elevation of just over 1,200 feet is flat or not?  That's not exactly the most exciting topic in the world in terms of geographic variance.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 03, 2021, 07:41:05 AM
We all do in fact realize that this thread has literally become about whether a state with a peak elevation of just over 1,200 feet is flat or not?  That's not exactly the most exciting topic in the world in terms of geographic variance.
And yet, the passion for the discussion is unmatched, as those who believe Illinois not to be flat think being perceived as flat is a knock against the state.

It's amusing.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Peak elevation isn't really a good measure of how hilly a state is.

For example...
  TX's highest peak:  8751 feet
  AR's highest peak:  2753 feet
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on August 03, 2021, 10:35:04 AM

Peak elevation isn't really a good measure of how hilly a state is.

For example...
  TX's highest peak:  8751 feet
  AR's highest peak:  2753 feet

Conversely hilly isn't exactly what most would associate as a large terrain variance.  Michigan (the state I grew up in) has a significant amount of hills on both peninsulas.  Nobody I knew was under the mistaken perception that Michigan wasn't among the flatter states.

I mentioned my thoughts above on the popular/untrue perception Arkansas doesn't have mountains.  Texas for the most part isn't very exciting terrain wise until you get west of San Antonio. 

formulanone

Relax, I lived in Southern Florida for 25 years; I don't make a habit out of calling any other place with even the slightest hill "flat", other than obvious places like coastal plains. Definitely Louisiana, south of the I-10 and I-12 corridors, as well. After that, I'm not throwing too many stones at glass houses.

Illinois' southernmost counties are generally quite flat (anywhere close to a major river's flood plain, that's to be expected) though there's still some hills in coal country.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on August 03, 2021, 11:45:05 AM
Relax, I lived in Southern Florida for 25 years; I don't make a habit out of calling any other place with even the slightest hill "flat", other than obvious places like coastal plains. Definitely Louisiana, south of the I-10 and I-12 corridors, as well. After that, I'm not throwing too many stones at glass houses.

Illinois' southernmost counties are generally quite flat (anywhere close to a major river's flood plain, that's to be expected) though there's still some hills in coal country.

Amusingly the Brooksville Ridge, Orange Island and Ocala Plateau do have some interesting terrain variance on the Florida Peninsula.  Pasco County Route 41 is even has huge drops (relatively speaking in Florida terms) in elevation approaching Dad City.  Nonetheless, Florida might be near the top of the flat state list. 

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 03, 2021, 11:57:35 AM
Pasco County Route 41 is even has huge drops (relatively speaking in Florida terms) in elevation approaching Dad City.

(Bolding mine)

Do you have to wear khakis, polo shirts, and New Balance sneakers there?  :)

Chris

formulanone

Quote from: jayhawkco on August 03, 2021, 12:17:56 PM
Pasco County Route 41 is even has huge drops (relatively speaking in Florida terms) in elevation approaching Dad City.

(Bolding mine)

Chris

Just for work.

Yeah, central Florida has a few unexpected hills around the Lake Wales Ridge and some sections of the Panhandle/North Central area aren't typically flat, but you'll rarely see hills off into the distance.

thspfc

Changed the thread title, as misinformation is not allowed on the forum.

[Removed misleading purple formatting. -S.]

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jayhawkco on August 03, 2021, 12:17:56 PM

(Bolding mine)

Chris

Perils of typing things on the iPhone while getting dressed for work, I meant "Dade City." .  Dad City isn't too far the north and is more popularly referred to as the "The Villages."   The stereotypes you describe are true and then some with Dad City. 

Road Hog

I find more people amazed that Arkansas has flat parts than those amazed that it has mountains. In fact the state's basically half and half.

JoePCool14

Quote from: thspfc on August 03, 2021, 12:37:02 PM

That is some sweet, sweet irony right there.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Roadgeekteen

You are a mod here?

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 04, 2021, 01:15:06 PM
You are a mod here?

Done as a joke I'm sure.

Chris

hotdogPi

I thought purple text from non-mods was strictly prohibited unless color itself was the topic of discussion.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on August 04, 2021, 01:20:31 PM
I thought purple text from non-mods was strictly prohibited unless color itself was the topic of discussion.

Not that I'm aware of.  The forum guidelines don't include the word 'purple' anywhere in them, so far as I know.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.