News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2023 College Football Season

Started by NWI_Irish96, August 09, 2022, 07:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

First game without Chryst, and Mertz has the second best game of his career. I get that it's a bad Northwestern team, but UW has played plenty of bad teams over the last few years, with the passing game almost never looking as good as today. Also refreshing to pound on Northwestern who was a pain in Wisconsin's side during Chryst's tenure whether they were good or not.

tchafe1978

Quote from: thspfc on October 08, 2022, 08:34:04 PM
First game without Chryst, and Mertz has the second best game of his career. I get that it's a bad Northwestern team, but UW has played plenty of bad teams over the last few years, with the passing game almost never looking as good as today. Also refreshing to pound on Northwestern who was a pain in Wisconsin's side during Chryst's tenure whether they were good or not.

Makes one wonder if Chryst really was holding the offense back. Maybe now that he's gone, offensive coordinator Bobby Engram will have some freedom to open up the playbook and not just run twice straight up the gut for 2 yards, then pass incomplete on 3rd down. Time will tell, and I'm not going to get too excited yet, but it's at least a good start.

hbelkins

Kentucky is swirling down the toilet. Say goodbye to a 10-win season and a New Year's Six bowl, and hello to being lucky to go 8-4 and a bid to some bowl in BF Egypt.

Yes, Levis was hurt, but the defense played horribly against South Carolina.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US 89

From everything I have heard, I'm glad I got to hang out with old friends on Saturday night instead of watching FSU lose.

Georgia Tech though...despite the refs' finest efforts to hand the game to Duke in the final minute, the Yellow Jackets pulled through and won in overtime. Tech would never have won that game with Collins. Good riddance.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Billy F 1988

Welp, the Griz lost the stein last Saturday. It's part of FCS lore that if Montana or Idaho wins, one of those teams gets to hold on to what's called the "Little Brown Stein". That's the trophy given to the winning team, and unfortunately, that was the now 56-time overall champion of the Little Brown Stein, the Vandals of the University of Idaho. I say 56-time because they've won the stein about 30 times before Montana and Idaho were chartered in to the Big Sky Conference in 1963. I don't have a clue what toppled Montana sideways during that game, but, that's not good considering their long history together in FCS.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

hbelkins

I cheer for Tennessee exactly once a year.

After last Saturday, I hope the Vols lose every game.

NWI_Irish96

A former UVa football player shot four current players and one other person, killing three of the players. This weekend's game against Coastal Carolina has been cancelled. Next weekend's game at Virginia Tech seems unlikely to get played.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

74/171FAN

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on November 17, 2022, 07:20:40 AM
A former UVa football player shot four current players and one other person, killing three of the players. This weekend's game against Coastal Carolina has been cancelled. Next weekend's game at Virginia Tech seems unlikely to get played.

As bad as VT and UVA are this year, I am expecting it to be canceled.  There is no reason for either team to play IMO.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Hunty2022

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on November 17, 2022, 07:20:40 AM

That's terrible. This is quite upsetting since I'm a UVA fan from nearby Greene County.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

thspfc

People who called for Harbaugh's job a couple years ago, what do you think now?

74/171FAN

As a VT fan, I am very happy for Shane Beamer after South Carolina's last two weeks.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hbelkins

Why all the hate for Ohio State from so many corners? I see more dislike for tOSU than I do Alabama, Notre Dame, and Michigan combined.

thspfc

Quote from: hbelkins on November 26, 2022, 06:57:08 PM
I see more dislike for tOSU than I do Alabama, Notre Dame, and Michigan combined.
My mileage varies on that one.

KeithE4Phx

Why all the hate for Ohio State from so many corners? I see more dislike for tOSU than I do Alabama, Notre Dame, and Michigan combined.

Because THE Ohio State University believes that they are THE ultimate college football team (not so much in basketball or other sports, but it carries over) in the whole USA.  ESPN's ridiculous love-fest over the years has only made matters worse. 

They are to college football as the Yankees are to baseball, the Cowboys are to the NFL, the Lakers are to the NBA, and Duke is to college basketball (I don't think there's an equivalent in the NHL).  They are the teams the nation loves to hate, outside of their own markets, of course. 

They're hated because of their successes, past and present (mostly past), but when they fail (see:  LeBron's Lakers.  ESPECIALLY LeBron's Lakers), it's fair game to pile on.  And today, it's been fair game to pile onto the abject failure of THE Columbus Suckeyes to beat Michigan for the second year in a row. 

Too bad, so sad, buhbye.  NOPLAYOFFSFORYOU!  :)
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

tdindy88

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on November 26, 2022, 10:56:17 PM
They are to college football as the Yankees are to baseball, the Cowboys are to the NFL, the Lakers are to the NBA, and Duke is to college basketball (I don't think there's an equivalent in the NHL).  They are the teams the nation loves to hate, outside of their own markets, of course. 

That's Notre Dame you're thinking of (and I say this as a fan of the Irish.) Or Alabama.

The only reason I'm happy Michigan won is that their rivalry with OSU had been pretty one-sided until recently and I don't like seeing things as one-sided.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: tdindy88 on November 26, 2022, 11:21:26 PM
e
That's Notre Dame you're thinking of (and I say this as a fan of the Irish.) Or Alabama.

The only reason I'm happy Michigan won is that their rivalry with OSU had been pretty one-sided until recently and I don't like seeing things as one-sided.

There are plenty of fan bases that think they're God's gift to college football. Notre Dame, Michigan, Alabama, stand out but to a lesser extent Clemson, USC, and every single SEC school save perhaps Kentucky and Vanderbilt. Ohio State and their fans are far less detestable than Michigan to most fans in the Midwest outside of Michigan.

US 89

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on November 26, 2022, 11:25:29 PM
Quote from: tdindy88 on November 26, 2022, 11:21:26 PM
e

There are plenty of fan bases that think they're God's gift to college football. Notre Dame, Michigan, Alabama, stand out but to a lesser extent Clemson, USC, and every single SEC school save perhaps Kentucky and Vanderbilt. Ohio State and their fans are far less detestable than Michigan to most fans in the Midwest outside of Michigan.

Disagree. I hate Michigan and Ohio State equally with the exception that I root for Michigan when they play each other.

Big John

If OSU took out the "t", they wouldn't be so hated.  The "thee" is very pretentious.

NWI_Irish96

Conference championship games are set:

CUSA: North Texas vs Texas-San Antonio
PAC-12: Utah vs Southern Cal
MAC: Toledo vs Ohio
Big 12: Kansas State vs TCU
Sun Belt: Coastal Carolina vs Troy
Mountain West: Fresno St vs Boise St
American: Central Florida vs Tulane
SEC: LSU vs Georgia
ACC: Clemson vs North Carolina
Big Ten: Purdue vs Michigan

Georgia is in the playoff win or lose, though probably not seeded #1 if they lose.
Michigan is probably in win or lose.
TCU and Southern Cal both need to win to get in.

Ohio State and Alabama are teams not playing who could back in if other teams lose.

UCF-Tulane winner gets the G5 bid, to either the Orange or Cotton Bowls.
Clemson-UNC winner to the Orange Bowl.
Kansas State to the Sugar Bowl if they win and probably also if they lose.
Utah to the Rose Bowl if they win and probably also if they lose.
Ohio State to the Rose Bowl unless they get in the playoff then it's Penn State.
If LSU wins they go to the Sugar Bowl, if they lose it's Alabama or Tennessee.

tchafe1978

Looks like Luke Fickell, coach of Cincinatti, is set to become the next coach at Wisconsin. A total surprise to nearly eveyone, especially us Badgers fans. The odds on favorite was interim coach Jim Leonhard. Leonhard was the hometown boy, having grown up in Wisconsin and played for the Badgers. But I can see the desire to bring someone in from outside with a new perspective. Things had gotten stale in Madison. The offense had little creativity, the QB Mertz never really progressed, and penalties and mistakes were all too common. Let's hope it all works out!

thspfc

Quote from: tchafe1978 on November 27, 2022, 05:34:18 PM
Looks like Luke Fickell, coach of Cincinatti, is set to become the next coach at Wisconsin. A total surprise to nearly eveyone, especially us Badgers fans. The odds on favorite was interim coach Jim Leonhard. Leonhard was the hometown boy, having grown up in Wisconsin and played for the Badgers. But I can see the desire to bring someone in from outside with a new perspective. Things had gotten stale in Madison. The offense had little creativity, the QB Mertz never really progressed, and penalties and mistakes were all too common. Let's hope it all works out!
I'm cautiously optimistic. The program needed somebody fresh and contemporary, which Fickell is. But G5-to-P5 hires don't have the best track record recently.

hbelkins

What gets me about Alabama is that there are so many people who root for them when they have other teams they're loyal to. i swear, I know some UK football fans who'd have a serious quandary if the Wildcats were playing the Tide.

I can understand people who live in northern Kentucky being tired of tOSU fans because they probably interact with so many of them because they're so close to the river, but the hatred seems to permeate the country.

What I don't understand is the idea of conference loyalty. Ask some Kentuckians who root for the Tide and they'll go "SEC, SEC!" Not me. Those teams are our enemies. It does me no good if a team from the SEC wins the championship.

My dislike for Alabama football is so strong that I root for Tennessee when the two teams play. And I never root for Tennessee under any condition otherwise. And it's precisely because of all these misguided Kentuckians who yell "Roll Tide" as easily as they do "Go Big Blue."

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: hbelkins on November 27, 2022, 08:18:47 PM
What gets me about Alabama is that there are so many people who root for them when they have other teams they're loyal to. i swear, I know some UK football fans who'd have a serious quandary if the Wildcats were playing the Tide.

I can understand people who live in northern Kentucky being tired of tOSU fans because they probably interact with so many of them because they're so close to the river, but the hatred seems to permeate the country.

What I don't understand is the idea of conference loyalty. Ask some Kentuckians who root for the Tide and they'll go "SEC, SEC!" Not me. Those teams are our enemies. It does me no good if a team from the SEC wins the championship.

My dislike for Alabama football is so strong that I root for Tennessee when the two teams play. And I never root for Tennessee under any condition otherwise. And it's precisely because of all these misguided Kentuckians who yell "Roll Tide" as easily as they do "Go Big Blue."

I have several co-workers who are Kentucky basketball and Alabama football fans.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.