When and where do you first remember seeing a countdown pedestrian signal?

Started by KCRoadFan, August 15, 2022, 12:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

For about the last decade-and-a-half or so, pedestrian countdown signals have been very common, but they used to be a lot less frequent - thus, whenever they did occur, they were a lot more noticeable. I seem to remember pretty well where it was that I first saw one - namely, in the Central West End area of St. Louis in 2000.

That being said, when do you remember first seeing a countdown pedestrian signal, and where was it? For that matter, does anyone know where and when the first such signals were installed? I'm interested to hear more.

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

webny99

Quote from: 1 on August 15, 2022, 07:49:29 AM
They've been around pretty much my entire life.

Same here. They're becoming more common, but I don't ever remember not seeing them around.

spooky

I think it was Congress Street in Boston between City Hall and Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market.

1995hoo

First one I ever saw was almost certainly somewhere in downtown DC, but I couldn't tell you which intersection. A Google search found a Washington Post article from June 2003 that says the city started installing them sometime that year, so I assume I first saw them sometime around that timeframe.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

UCFKnights

The first one I saw was while I was in high school, they upgraded the school intersections first circa 2002 or so here in Florida. They replaced the entire pedestrian head at my school, but some of my friends schools had them retrofit the older style dual head pedestrian signals with a hand/man on the top half, and the countdown on the bottom half which I thought looked so cheesy. If I recall correctly, prior to the retrofit, we also had the text versions, and the symbols.

I'm also curious if this was a thing, or I just imagined it as a kid: prior to the countdown the don't walk started blinking slower the longer it was blinking, as a way to know if it was a "stale" don't walk. Infact, I remember approaching intersections and deciding based off of the speed the text was blinking if I could make it across.

paulthemapguy

Wright and Green Streets at the heart of the University of Illinois campus.  This intersection is so important for pedestrians that the signal provides a phase for all pedestrians to cross the street.  It may have been because of this special provision that countdown crosswalks were installed here before I saw them really anywhere else.  I saw this before I attended college there, so this would be the mid-2000s I think.

https://goo.gl/maps/CjLS3Ez8xumQZMfTA
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

andrepoiy

Same. It's usually more jarring for me to see one without!

index

Quote from: andrepoiy on October 02, 2022, 08:52:36 PM

Same. It's usually more jarring for me to see one without!
I've only ever seen one without them, in Boone NC. Doctors Dr and Deerfield Rd.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

kphoger

I first remember seeing one somewhere near Lake Michigan in Chicago, back in the early 1990s.  I don't recall the exact location with 100% certainty, but my best guess is Congress & Columbus.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

andrepoiy

jamess

Pink Jazz

I think the first ones I seen were in 1996 in Hampton, Virginia. They were of the two head style.

Quillz

Vancouver, BC during the 90s. I saw them where I live about a decade later.

RobbieL2415

Washington, DC, 2006, while I was on a middle school field trip.

Pete from Boston

Probably somewhere in Europe in 1999 or so. What I haven't seen since is a countdown TO a walk phase, which I only remember seeing in DC in 2006.

SSR_317

Here in Indy (the HEART of Basketball Country), we call them "Shot Clocks". I cannot recall exactly when or where I first saw one, but I do recall thinking, "Well, THIS is a great idea!", and wondering how long it would take to see them installed everywhere.

To our younger members here who haven't seen any intersections without them, I would recommend a visit to your nearest small, rural town. They tend to be the last areas to get obsolete technology replaced, but not always.

kphoger

Quote from: SSR_317 on November 05, 2022, 02:04:16 PM
Here in Indy (the HEART of Basketball Country), we call them "Shot Clocks". I cannot recall exactly when or where I first saw one, but I do recall thinking, "Well, THIS is a great idea!", and wondering how long it would take to see them installed everywhere.

To our younger members here who haven't seen any intersections without them, I would recommend a visit to your nearest small, rural town. They tend to be the last areas to get obsolete technology replaced, but not always.

Or go to Indianapolis.

Hey, look, I picked an intersection completely at random, and it doesn't have a countdown pedestrian signal:  https://goo.gl/maps/t4im47CmN4omTv4j8
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Big John

^^ It has a white walker on the left.  That means the right side is reserved for the timer.

kphoger

Quote from: Big John on November 05, 2022, 06:06:29 PM
^^ It has a white walker on the left.  That means the right side is reserved for the timer.

Indeed, you are correct.  I went back in time and confirmed.  D'oh!

Holy time bomb, Batman, I can't find a single one...
Male pronouns, please.

epzik8

I believe in northeast Washington, DC. Don't remember the exact intersection.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

roadfro

For me, my first countdown ped signal was somewhere in Las Vegas. The City of Las Vegas proper was a pretty early adopter, retrofitting many existing signals to use countdowns shortly after MUTCD incorporated them (or perhaps even in the approval process beforehand), and IIRC was the first entity in the Las Vegas area (and perhaps in Nevada) to deploy them on a widespread scale. Countdowns are now ubiquitous across Nevada, installed with all new construction and there's very few older signals that haven't been retrofit to use them if ped heads are present.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

SSR_317

Quote from: kphoger on November 05, 2022, 03:06:53 PM
Quote from: SSR_317 on November 05, 2022, 02:04:16 PM

Or go to Indianapolis.

Hey, look, I picked an intersection completely at random, and it doesn't have a countdown pedestrian signal:  https://goo.gl/maps/t4im47CmN4omTv4j8
I almost said, in addition to my comment (no degradation intended) on rural towns, "or visit any large metropolitan area where the sheer number of intersections with pedestrian signals makes it difficult, from a cost-benefit standpoint, to have countdown signals at every one".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.