News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The 2023 Roadmeet collection Thread

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, September 09, 2022, 10:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

I honestly thought it was CPZ's Smith Island meet until Dan announced it.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Scott5114

I don't know enough (yet) to be a good host, so this is just a suggestion, but... I feel like there'd be plenty of content for a Las Vegas meet. I've been here a week and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Nikolai

I'll be hosting a meet in Peoria in September or October.

roadfro

I almost never check the meet board... Road meets never seemed to happen near me so stopped looking. (This roadgeek has never been to a meet, which is a tragedy.) But just saw this thread and felt I should chime in.

Quote from: cl94 on October 20, 2022, 10:40:50 PM
I want to put larger feelers out for this idea that got the interest of a smaller group: a guided roadgeek hike at Donner Pass.

This would push Reno back to 2024 or 2025, which might be better because it would allow other projects in the region to start.

I'm not a big hiker, but I'd be in to join this. I've not really explored much around the Donner Pass area.

I'll be up for any meet in or around the greater Reno area, since I live there...Just have to make sure to plan ahead for it. It's too bad we didn't have anything recently while Spaghetti Bowl Express was going on, but that's substantially complete now.

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 27, 2022, 02:12:54 PM
I don't know enough (yet) to be a good host, so this is just a suggestion, but... I feel like there'd be plenty of content for a Las Vegas meet. I've been here a week and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface.

Las Vegas would be a good site for a meet, as there's still some big projects in the works and other things of interest. I don't live down there anymore, and only visit a few times a year for work or to visit family, but could assist someone with ideas.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

cl94

Quote from: roadfro on December 29, 2022, 03:11:14 PM
Quote from: cl94 on October 20, 2022, 10:40:50 PM
I want to put larger feelers out for this idea that got the interest of a smaller group: a guided roadgeek hike at Donner Pass.

This would push Reno back to 2024 or 2025, which might be better because it would allow other projects in the region to start.

I'm not a big hiker, but I'd be in to join this. I've not really explored much around the Donner Pass area.

I'll be up for any meet in or around the greater Reno area, since I live there...Just have to make sure to plan ahead for it. It's too bad we didn't have anything recently while Spaghetti Bowl Express was going on, but that's substantially complete now.

I was thinking Reno in 26 or so. Whenever the next phases of Spaghetti Bowl/80 east of there are well underway. As far as 2024, I'm penciling in Carson City/Kingsbury for May 2024.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Brandon

Quote from: Nikolai on December 28, 2022, 10:59:14 PM
I'll be hosting a meet in Peoria in September or October.

Let me know what I can do to help you as I've been to Peoria a lot for work over the past decade.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

JoePCool14

I wonder if City Nerd will be participating in any road meets this year.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Roadgeek Adam

This is just a forewarned warning, no reason to make a thread for it now, but Meadville/Pennsylvania Oil Country Road Meet will occur in March or May 2024 most likely.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

74/171FAN

Would anyone potentially be interested in a Freedom Road/PA 228 Corridor meet north of Pittsburgh?  The construction on PA 228 around PA 8 is very visible now, and we can all say that we have been to Mars.   :wow:
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

vdeane

I think my travel calendar for 2023 is getting fairly full at this point.  But maybe if I did this instead of Peoria?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 13, 2023, 08:24:33 PM
Would anyone potentially be interested in a Freedom Road/PA 228 Corridor meet north of Pittsburgh?  The construction on PA 228 around PA 8 is very visible now, and we can all say that we have been to Mars.   :wow:

No. I need more than just one intersection being worked on to justify going to a (potential) roadmeet.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

74/171FAN

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on May 13, 2023, 11:20:00 PM
No. I need more than just one intersection being worked on to justify going to a (potential) roadmeet.

It is much more than one intersection.  Construction is still ongoing in portions from PA 65 all the way to PA 8.  (There is a reason why I am calling the Freedom Rd Corridor Fictional PA 228 now.)

Freedom Rd Websites:

District 10:  https://www.penndot.pa.gov/RegionalOffices/district-10/ConstructionsProjectsAndRoadwork/Pages/Freedom-Road-Turnpike-Bridge-Project.aspx
District 11:  https://www.penndot.pa.gov/RegionalOffices/district-11/ConstructionsProjectsAndRoadwork/BeaverCountyConstruction/Pages/FreedomRoadUpgradeProject.aspx

PA 228 Website:  https://www.penndot.pa.gov/RegionalOffices/district-10/ConstructionsProjectsAndRoadwork/Pages/Route228CorridorImprovementProjects.aspx

vdeane

The construction near PA 8 is visible on Google Maps and street view as well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 14, 2023, 06:56:42 AM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on May 13, 2023, 11:20:00 PM

It is much more than one intersection.  Construction is still ongoing in portions from PA 65 all the way to PA 8.  (There is a reason why I am calling the Freedom Rd Corridor Fictional PA 228 now.)

Freedom Rd Websites:

District 10:  https://www.penndot.pa.gov/RegionalOffices/district-10/ConstructionsProjectsAndRoadwork/Pages/Freedom-Road-Turnpike-Bridge-Project.aspx
District 11:  https://www.penndot.pa.gov/RegionalOffices/district-11/ConstructionsProjectsAndRoadwork/BeaverCountyConstruction/Pages/FreedomRoadUpgradeProject.aspx

PA 228 Website:  https://www.penndot.pa.gov/RegionalOffices/district-10/ConstructionsProjectsAndRoadwork/Pages/Route228CorridorImprovementProjects.aspx

I'm far from being the gatekeeper for anyone wanting to host a roadmeet. If you want to go ahead and assemble this, then go for it.

74/171FAN

I was actually thinking about letting someone like rickmastfan67 take and run with it since he already lives close to Cranberry (I think).

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 09, 2022, 10:57:06 AM
So far we have...

Western Norfolk Co (Long Island, NY) - March 18 (DGloub hosting)
Columbus, Ohio - April 15 (Sandor, aka Hot Rod Hootenanny, hosting)
Omaha, Neb - "City Meet" - April 29 (A.J. Bertin hosting)
Harford County, Maryland - May 6 (Laura Hosting)
Fresno, Calif - May 6 & 7 (Max Rockatansky hosting)
Grand Forks, ND - May 20 (Brandon hosting)
Little Rock, Ark - June 17 (Cody hosting)
Buffalo, NY - July 29 (Dan Murphy, aka Highwaywiz, hosting)
Peoria, Ill - Fall (Nikolai hosting)
Reno, NV - Date undetermined (Josh, aka cl94 hosting)

Otherwise, chime in with questions and ideas. Mind you, all (real) roadmeets will have their own thread on this board.

So only 3 roadmeets left for the year?

tckma

I've never been to Pittsburgh (though I HAVE been to Pittsburg, NH -- no "h" -- before I knew roadmeets were a thing that existed, and when I lived in NH, I decided I wanted to clinch US-3 through NH and I did the drive myself); I might want to combine that roadmeet with a visit.

74/171FAN

My current position on this is that the entire Crows Run Rd/Freedom Rd/Freedom Crider Rd needs to be open for me to justify my idea for a meet. 

QuoteBeginning at 9 a.m. Monday, May 16, Freedom Crider Road (Route 2004) will close to through traffic between Route 989 and the intersection of Freedom Crider Road and Crows Run Road continuously through late September. Only local traffic will be permitted on the closed section of Freedom Crider Road. All other traffic will be detoured.

So definitely October at the earliest if at all in 2023.

vdeane

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on May 25, 2023, 01:19:11 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 09, 2022, 10:57:06 AM
So far we have...

Western Norfolk Co (Long Island, NY) - March 18 (DGloub hosting)
Columbus, Ohio - April 15 (Sandor, aka Hot Rod Hootenanny, hosting)
Omaha, Neb - "City Meet" - April 29 (A.J. Bertin hosting)
Harford County, Maryland - May 6 (Laura Hosting)
Fresno, Calif - May 6 & 7 (Max Rockatansky hosting)
Grand Forks, ND - May 20 (Brandon hosting)
Little Rock, Ark - June 17 (Cody hosting)
Buffalo, NY - July 29 (Dan Murphy, aka Highwaywiz, hosting)
Peoria, Ill - Fall (Nikolai hosting)
Reno, NV - Date undetermined (Josh, aka cl94 hosting)

Otherwise, chime in with questions and ideas. Mind you, all (real) roadmeets will have their own thread on this board.

So only 3 roadmeets left for the year?
To that end, anyone interested in a Catskill/Hudson roadmeet in the October/November timeframe?  I think I could put something together.  Likely tour stops would be the pedestrian bridge over Catskill Creek, the Skywalk over the Rip Van Winkel Bridge and the new roundabout, the Ferry Street bridge in Hudson, the odd traffic light in Hudson (with a Stewart's break), an old alignment near US 9W, and the CR 25A bridge at Stuyvesant Falls.

baugh17

Quote from: vdeane on June 21, 2023, 12:51:33 PM
To that end, anyone interested in a Catskill/Hudson roadmeet in the October/November timeframe?  I think I could put something together.  Likely tour stops would be the pedestrian bridge over Catskill Creek, the Skywalk over the Rip Van Winkel Bridge and the new roundabout, the Ferry Street bridge in Hudson, the odd traffic light in Hudson (with a Stewart's break), an old alignment near US 9W, and the CR 25A bridge at Stuyvesant Falls.

Paging dgolub...

74/171FAN

I am considering a Lancaster Meet on October 21st that would cover the Walnut St Extension along the Goat Path.  I need to first check and get an update on projected road opening. 

I did not think to mention to dgolub about your NY Idea vdeane as I should have.

dgolub

Quote from: baugh17 on June 22, 2023, 08:18:39 PM

Paging dgolub...

Sorry, I didn't see this before.  Yes, I'd definitely be interested in this one.

jpi

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 30, 2023, 08:44:16 AM
I am considering a Lancaster Meet on October 21st that would cover the Walnut St Extension along the Goat Path.  I need to first check and get an update on projected road opening. 

Darn, too bad I won't be in the area 10/21 but will be in the area around 9/23 through 9/27 and plan on checking this out myself, probably that Tuesday since thats my "amish flea market" day at Roots market when I am in town
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

vdeane

Quote from: dgolub on August 30, 2023, 08:57:06 AM
Quote from: baugh17 on June 22, 2023, 08:18:39 PM

Paging dgolub...

Sorry, I didn't see this before.  Yes, I'd definitely be interested in this one.
Cool.  Just a word of warning, I saw on social media that the traffic light in Hudson is being replaced, so the old one likely won't still be around anymore.  Maybe I'll set up a poll for dates once a decision has been made on Lancaster.

74/171FAN

Quote from: jpi on August 30, 2023, 12:36:49 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 30, 2023, 08:44:16 AM

Darn, too bad I won't be in the area 10/21 but will be in the area around 9/23 through 9/27 and plan on checking this out myself, probably that Tuesday since thats my "amish flea market" day at Roots market when I am in town

Tentatively beyond the Goat Path, I am looking at covering the redone PA 283/PA 722 interchange, US 30/Centerville Rd interchange, the Nova Way connector at US 30/PA 10 I looked at earlier this month, and of course the now odd US 30/PA 772/PA 41 intersections in Gap.

Chances are that dinner will be at the Primanti Bros. at the US 222/PA 272/PA 501 interchange.  I am unsure about how to handle lunch especially if I push it to December.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.