Lowest numbered route you don't have a picture of

Started by TBKS1, January 23, 2023, 09:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBKS1

More or less an idea that popped up into my head regarding two other threads that have been made, such as the lowest numbered route you haven't been on, and the lowest numbered route you haven't clinched. However, there's a lot of people on this forum (including myself) who are also on the side of picture taking, and I do think this would be an interesting topic.

A couple of things I do want to bring up real quick is that there are a couple of routes in Europe that are numbered 0 with legitimate signage of them, but for all intensive purposes, 1 is the lowest possible route number. If you happen to have a picture of a route numbered 0, that's cool too. The other thing is that I have a spreadsheet with over 1300 different numbered routes that I have pictures of dating back to 2016. I do have county roads included in the sheet, and this also includes certain counties that just number all of their roads with a blue pentagon (or something similar) instead of properly naming or signing them. I'm totally fine with anybody including county roads as legitimate route numbers.

With that being said, after extensively looking through and logging all of the pictures I've taken, the lowest numbered route I don't have a picture for is 122. The only route numbers I'm missing below 200 is 122, 153 and 168. 122 is about a two hour drive northeast of where I live, 168 is a bit farther than that (north of Jonesboro) and 153 is in Arkansas county east of Stuttgart.
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

Jim

It's a thing I've been tracking for a long time.  Mine's 284.

https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/numbers/ has a bunch of numbers from throughout my collection, https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/numbers/oneeach/ has one of each, and https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/numbers/missing.txt has my list of what I'm missing.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Max Rockatansky

That's a good question.  My speculative guess given I have a lot of California and Florida photo stock is in the 300s.  I probably could audit that on my Flickr page given every year since I've created the account has a shield gallery.

Hunty2022

That would be 3.
I have US 1 and VA-2 images.

My highest is VA SR-1926, in Albemarle County.

I will have at least one VA-3 image in the next couple months hopefully.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

oscar

Quote from: TBKS1 on January 23, 2023, 09:57:07 PM
More or less an idea that popped up into my head regarding two other threads that have been made, such as the lowest numbered route you haven't been on, and the lowest numbered route you haven't clinched. However, there's a lot of people on this forum (including myself) who are also on the side of picture taking, and I do think this would be an interesting topic.

Agreed that it'd be interesting, but too much work for me to do anytime soon, given the size of my road photos collections (several thousand road photos, not all of which include route numbers).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

formulanone

1060 is the lowest number I'm missing, excluding zero.

74/171FAN

Quote from: oscar on January 24, 2023, 12:55:25 AM
Quote from: TBKS1 on January 23, 2023, 09:57:07 PM

Yeah, even I would have to go to my hard drive back to 2009.

Agreed that it'd be interesting, but too much work for me to do anytime soon, given the size of my road photos collections (several thousand road photos, not all of which include route numbers).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

GaryV

epzik8

It looks like I don't have any from anything numbered 6, despite having been on various sections of US 6.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

JayhawkCO

MATraveler128

Mine is also 1. Like JayhawkCO, I don't take many road pictures.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

GaryV

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 24, 2023, 08:35:11 AM
Quote from: GaryV on January 24, 2023, 07:41:29 AM

Me too. I don't really take road specific photos surprisingly.

I've taken a few road sign photos, but mostly just for some special interest (for example, my submissions to usends). I don't have a collection.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

<scratches head, finds more hair falling out>
Maybe 26
1, Pa & Miss
2-5, Ohio
6, Pa & Ohio
7 - 9, Ohio
10 - Tx, La, maybe Ohio
11-19, Ohio
20 - Many states
21 - Ohio
22 - Ohio, Pa, NJ, NY
23 - Ohio & Va
24 - Ind & Ohio
25 - Ky & Ohio
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Hunty2022

Starting a table, why not:

formulanone - 1060
Max Rockatansky - 300s?
Jim - 284
TBKS1 - 122
Hot Rod Hootenanny - 26
epzik8 - 6
Hunty2022 - 3
BlueOutback7 - 1
GaryV - 1
JayhawkCO - 1
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Scott5114

Here, made it a proper table for you (since I know the code isn't really all that easy to understand if you're not familiar with HTML tables).

formulanone1060
Jim284
TBKS1122
Hot Rod Hootenanny26
epzik86
Hunty20223
BlueOutback71
GaryV1
JayhawkCO1

Also, I kicked Max out of the table, following Rothman's precedent of "if you don't have an exact number, you don't get in the table".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jlam

1. The lowest number I do have is 10 from my trip to Washington, D.C.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 25, 2023, 12:59:37 AM
Here, made it a proper table for you (since I know the code isn't really all that easy to understand if you're not familiar with HTML tables).

formulanone1060
Jim284
TBKS1122
Hot Rod Hootenanny26
epzik86
Hunty20223
BlueOutback71
GaryV1
JayhawkCO1

Also, I kicked Max out of the table, following Rothman's precedent of "if you don't have an exact number, you don't get in the table".

I actually code my shield photos with a highway numbers by state.  If someone where to go my Flickr page and and type "1CA"  they would get results for all the CA 1 shields I photos of (which apparently is 196).  The reason I started numbering shield photos like that was the "Take it yourself photo challenge"  which was a forum game around the 2016-17 era. 

Like Travel Maps I think that I'm hopelessly too far in to fully audit where I've been much less the photo stock I have.  Also I don't think we ever sorted out if things like County Routes and Forest Routes/Roads count in this thread for applicable numbers to the topic at hand.

TBKS1

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 26, 2023, 10:27:51 AM
Like Travel Maps I think that I'm hopelessly too far in to fully audit where I've been much less the photo stock I have.  Also I don't think we ever sorted out if things like County Routes and Forest Routes/Roads count in this thread for applicable numbers to the topic at hand.

I did say at the beginning of this thread that I don't have a problem with counting county and forest roads, I personally did that when I was logging all the route shields that I have pictures of. Not to mention there are some route numbers that are basically impossible to get without the use of county roads (1928, 2704, 2715, 2894, 2927, etc.) where state maintained routes were decommissioned and no longer exist. County roads are probably the only way you could get those route numbers logged.
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TBKS1 on January 26, 2023, 05:05:04 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 26, 2023, 10:27:51 AM

I did say at the beginning of this thread that I don't have a problem with counting county and forest roads, I personally did that when I was logging all the route shields that I have pictures of. Not to mention there are some route numbers that are basically impossible to get without the use of county roads (1928, 2704, 2715, 2894, 2927, etc.) where state maintained routes were decommissioned and no longer exist. County roads are probably the only way you could get those route numbers logged.

Noted, what is interesting is that TM doesn't really account for those.   That said I get it that you have to draw the line somewhere given how sparse County Route and Forest Route information can be.  Here in California and when I lived in Florida the County Routes are semi-major deal.  That's not even getting the weeds on Counties that maintain their own route numbers on Postmiles like San Benito County (lots of weird numbers there).

pianocello

I don't really take road or sign pics, so I was gonna say 1. But having been to Key West, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to take a picture of the Begin and End signs there.

So my answer is 2.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

oscar

I'll take a stab at this later. It helps that most of my road photos have the number on the route marker (if any) as part of the filename, as well as a four-digit image code indicating the digital "negative" for the photo. That is a more awkward search than the text search through my Travel Mapping list file for the "lowest numbered route you haven't been on" game, but is manageable.

formulanone is safe. I'm pretty selective about photographing route markers with numbers > 600, though I have a few. Below 600, there may be gaps, especially for unsigned routes where I did not take any photos (though maybe I photographed a same-numbered route marker in some other state, from another route I did travel).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Scott5114

Quote from: oscar on January 26, 2023, 06:15:51 PM
I'll take a stab at this later. It helps that most of my road photos have the number on the route marker (if any) as part of the filename, as well as a four-digit image code indicating the digital "negative" for the photo. That is a more awkward search than the text search through my Travel Mapping list file for the "lowest numbered route you haven't been on" game, but is manageable.

It may make the search less awkward to dump the filenames to a text file by opening the target folder in the Windows Command prompt and running dir > filelist.txt. The resulting file can then be examined and searched as any other text file would.

(If you're lucky enough to have a Unix shell available, find | grep [search string] does this quickly, recursively, and effectively without the need to save to an actual text file.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

csw

My number is 182. Several exit tabs but no route shield.

I no longer take road photos with the fervor I used to, but it would be nice to get to 200 at least.

formulanone

Here's my first one thousand route numbers, mostly to display a variety of different shield types and the weird one-offs. There's a few at around the high-500s where I had pick some minor county roads to fill the gaps, and Alabama is loaded with those. Driving around Virginia can help load up on secondary routes past the 600s.

Here's the next thousand, which is only a little over halfway complete, but I'm in no great hurry to complete it or pack it with County shields.

In case anyone is wondering, stumbling onto Jim Teresco's site gave me the idea for this challenge. Once I realized I had the first 220 numbers, I logged them in Excel so I know what I had.

Number 929 was the one which was the last of the first thousand to complete (back in 2017).

578 is the lowest one in which I only have county shields; about 20 of them in my first thousand have no other shield types other than a county route shield.

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.