News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Driver's side signage on CA-36/CA-44

Started by Quillz, October 06, 2023, 02:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

Bit of an oddball topic here...

I'm in the Susanville area right now as I'm visiting Lassen National Park. Something odd I've noticed is that on both CA-36 and CA-44, most of the signage will be on the driver's side (i.e. left side of the road). I have never seen this anywhere else in California, or even in other states. Does anyone know the reasoning for this? Other than just some aesthetic decision, it doesn't really seem to be necessary. (While it's not any less readable in of itself, you could argue it is harder to read because it goes against muscle memory).

One example: https://maps.app.goo.gl/JcncuABaPZQ8wnV39

And note signage isn't exclusive to the driver's side. Sometimes there is signage on the typical right side of the road, other times signage gets duplicated. But it's common enough in this part of the state that I feel like there was some purpose behind it.

Scott5114

On the exact sign you posted, it would seem the intent was to avoid having two sets of posts (there are signs posted back to back, you're just looking at it from the "wrong" direction).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Quillz

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 06, 2023, 03:38:18 AM
On the exact sign you posted, it would seem the intent was to avoid having two sets of posts (there are signs posted back to back, you're just looking at it from the "wrong" direction).
That is done in a few places along that stretch of CA-44. But more often, there is signage on the driver's side in either direction, and nothing on the reverse side of the posts. (I just couldn't find any examples when looking on street view). So you'll just have signage in an atypical setup.

Max Rockatansky

There are several rural state highways in California that feature this.  The intent seems to be to save money on sign posts on sparsely traveled roads.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.