News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

High Desert Corridor (Palmdale to Victorville frwy proposal)

Started by Interstate Trav, February 23, 2011, 03:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

Quote from: Desert Man on February 13, 2016, 06:18:55 PM
I can name two upgraded highway-to-freeway routes in So CA: the I-215 from Riverside/Moreno Valley to Murrieta/Temecula was upgraded to total freeway status, and the 86 from Indio/Coachella which is still in construction should go all the way to El Centro (I-8) or Calexico (the Mexican border with Mexicali).

The only segment of 86 that is a freeway is the former Route 86S south of I-10 (and only for a bit) - the partial freeway/expressway routing bypassing Brawley is Route 78 and Route 111, with 86 through El Centro a candidate for decommissioning.
Chris Sampang

andy3175

Quote from: TheStranger on February 14, 2016, 04:14:14 AM
Quote from: Desert Man on February 13, 2016, 06:18:55 PM
I can name two upgraded highway-to-freeway routes in So CA: the I-215 from Riverside/Moreno Valley to Murrieta/Temecula was upgraded to total freeway status, and the 86 from Indio/Coachella which is still in construction should go all the way to El Centro (I-8) or Calexico (the Mexican border with Mexicali).

The only segment of 86 that is a freeway is the former Route 86S south of I-10 (and only for a bit) - the partial freeway/expressway routing bypassing Brawley is Route 78 and Route 111, with 86 through El Centro a candidate for decommissioning.

At the risk of going off topic to this thread, I believe that SR 86 from Brawley southward will eventually be decommissioned, with the preferred north-south route through Coachella Valley, Salton Sea, and Imperial Valley following SR 86, SR 78, SR 111, and a split between SR 111 to Calexico or I-8 to SR 7 to the Calexico II Border Crossing. This would likely imply that SR 86 would go no further south than its northern intersection with SR 78 ... or someone will attempt to "rationalize" the expressway-freeway route under one route number, which may mean a major realignment of SR 86 or SR 111 (or an extension of SR 7 or SR 115, or an entirely new route designation to unify the preferred corridor). I am also wondering about SR 111 northwest of Indio and whether any of it will be left as it is gradually decommissioned in phases to the local cities between Indio and Palm Springs.

Okay, now back to the High Desert Corridor and waiting for environmental study results...
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Quillz

I don't think we will ever see I-138 or I-14 in California, nor should we. There is no I-38, and I-14 would be running north-south. There is no reason there can't be interstate-quality freeways in California that are simply signed as state routes.

SimMoonXP

Probably yeah. Is that route could be toll road or not? If not, then the traffic could be impact to CA-14 in Apple Valley and I-15 in Apple Valley area.

bing101

Hear is a tour of CA-138 as Pearblossom Highway as of 2023.

Plutonic Panda

It's a shit show. There are so many roads in this area that need to be converted to freeways, it's not even funny.

I'd be happy with just four lane freeways. Just grade separate these damned things. So many of the commuters aren't going from street to the next they're traveling for miles. It's beyond frustrating.

Max Rockatansky

But still, if you find yourself commuting from the Mojave Desert to the Los Angeles area or Inland Empire maybe it is time to just plain consider relocating?  I don't understand how that situation is feasible for some people, it sounds horrible.

Plutonic Panda

I couldn't imagine it either. I've the 14 during rush hour and it is absolutely insane how some people put up with that twice a day. The trains suck just as bad.

jdbx

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 19, 2023, 08:47:06 AM
But still, if you find yourself commuting from the Mojave Desert to the Los Angeles area or Inland Empire maybe it is time to just plain consider relocating?  I don't understand how that situation is feasible for some people, it sounds horrible.

I feel the same way about the supercommuters here in the Bay Area. I used to work in Walnut Creek with people who commuted from Elk Grove, Turlock, and one guy drove in all the way from Los Banos every day. I think that for some people, the allure of home ownership is worth the sacrifice. I'm grateful that I jump on the home ownership wagon 20 years ago when it was still somewhat affordable. The QOL tradeoffs of spending 4-5 hours a day commuting just don't add up to me.

Max Rockatansky

Out of curiosity, what was the Los Banos guy making?  That situation seems completely untenable even short term. 

jdbx

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 21, 2023, 05:17:44 PM
Out of curiosity, what was the Los Banos guy making?  That situation seems completely untenable even short term. 

I'm not sure how much he was making exactly, he was in a more junior role than me on another team, and this was about 15 years ago. I'm certain that he was at least making enough that he could have owned a condo or townhome in one of the outer suburbs like Antioch or Brentwood. I got the impression he did not want to compromise on having a yard or being in a detached house. It made zero sense to me at the time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.