News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Kentucky

Started by NE2, April 22, 2011, 07:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 18, 2023, 11:49:50 PM
Any plans to get rid of this sign obstruction on I-75?
https://www.aaroads.com/guides/i-075-north-walton-ky/#gallery-38
That photo is from 2011.  You sure it's still there?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

D-Dey65

^
I want to say no... and evidently I can.
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.4736618,-84.579498,3a,75y,0.23h,91.86t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s23ZjCMjdMtdDf2Y7D9tRXg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en
Honestly, the only reason I even bothered to look is to find out where all the rest areas are, and see if there's a chance of somebody getting images of them in Wikimedia Commons.

XamotCGC

Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

hbelkins

Quote from: XamotCGC on March 19, 2023, 08:42:53 PM
KY 289 bridge to remain closed, likely to be replaced

https://www.pmg-ky2.com/lebanon/news/ky-289-bridge-to-remain-closed-likely-to-be-replaced/article_85435319-cb57-5be4-80d2-25a1ff1cfc9c.html

That's the old route of US 68. I drove that route once, back in the mid-1980s when I went to a job interview in Campbellsville. I knew the routing of US 68 wasn't all that old, so I wanted to drive the old route to see what it was like on my way back home. I was surprised to see this old bridge.

If they can determine who caused the damage (not very likely) then they could probably recoup repair/replacement costs from the vehicle's insurance. My guess is that a farm implement did the damage, though, since commercial vehicles would be using US 68 instead.

Another place where I was surprised to see a one-lane bridge on a US route in Kentucky was on US 62 between Mt. Olivet and Maysville. I came upon it in the early 1980s. It has since been replaced.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bandit957

Wasn't there a one-lane bridge on a U.S. route in Paris or Winchester or somewhere not too long ago?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

XamotCGC

Roads clinched.

hbelkins

Quote from: bandit957 on March 19, 2023, 09:55:08 PM
Wasn't there a one-lane bridge on a U.S. route in Paris or Winchester or somewhere not too long ago?

There are some narrow bridges on Old Boonesboro Road (former US 227) in Clark County.

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on March 20, 2023, 10:50:09 AM

There are some narrow bridges on Old Boonesboro Road (former US 227) in Clark County.

The bridge I remember was right in town (maybe Paris). It might have been over a railroad. It might not have been a U.S. route at the time, but it might have been former US 227.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hbelkins

Quote from: bandit957 on March 20, 2023, 10:52:31 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 20, 2023, 10:50:09 AM

The bridge I remember was right in town (maybe Paris). It might have been over a railroad. It might not have been a U.S. route at the time, but it might have been former US 227.

There was an ancient bridge on KY 89 just east of US 60 in Winchester, but it's been replaced for many years now.

It might be worth a look at Historical Aerials if one is really interested.

XamotCGC

My grandmother use to hate to driving across  the Old Camp Nelson Bridge going to Nicholasville.
Roads clinched.

mvak36

This is more just for my information, but how much of I-75 in the state is left to be widened to 3 lanes? I tried finding out on my own before asking but I couldn't find anything.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

hbelkins

Quote from: mvak36 on April 05, 2023, 02:03:39 PM
This is more just for my information, but how much of I-75 in the state is left to be widened to 3 lanes? I tried finding out on my own before asking but I couldn't find anything.

Basically from a point north of Corbin extending south to the state line. About 30 miles.

mvak36

Quote from: hbelkins on April 05, 2023, 04:48:03 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on April 05, 2023, 02:03:39 PM

Basically from a point north of Corbin extending south to the state line. About 30 miles.

Thank You.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

sprjus4

Going back to the discussion in regards to automated enforcement in work zones, I find it interesting that Virginia, for example, has yet to use it. They authorized speed cameras in school zones and work zones a few years back, and while localities have jumped on school zone enforcement, I don't think one work zone has yet to be automated enforced.

hbelkins

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 05, 2023, 05:41:29 PM
Going back to the discussion in regards to automated enforcement in work zones, I find it interesting that Virginia, for example, has yet to use it. They authorized speed cameras in school zones and work zones a few years back, and while localities have jumped on school zone enforcement, I don't think one work zone has yet to be automated enforced.

I do not know if that legislation eventually passed or not.

There was also a proposal to eliminate the "Team Kentucky" wording and imagery from license plates, but I also don't know the fate of that legislation.

XamotCGC

Quote from: hbelkins on April 06, 2023, 01:23:18 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on April 05, 2023, 05:41:29 PM

I do not know if that legislation eventually passed or not.

There was also a proposal to eliminate the "Team Kentucky" wording and imagery from license plates, but I also don't know the fate of that legislation.

That Team Kentucky imagery doesn't look good on license plates.
Roads clinched.

Revive 755

Quote from: seicer on March 13, 2023, 06:17:58 PM
While I do not favor broad, automated traffic enforcement, I found work zone cameras to be great equalizers in enforcing speed limits through active work zones. There has been a good number of high-profile accidents in the work zones between Charleston and Huntington, WV, which include long "cattle chutes," shifting lanes, rough driving surfaces, and water on the roadway. I try to keep it at 55 MPH through the work zones but have been nearly rear-ended by people wanting to zip through active work zones. There are no areas for police to sit and patrol - and nowhere for them to pull people over.

The problem I have is there are too many work zones where the speed limit gets reduced to some arbitrary value just because there is or will be eventually be a work zone.  Even if there will not be workers near the roadway or the workers will be behind a concrete barrier and the roadway geometry is still fairly good.  I seem to recall at least one work zone in Kentucky that met the 'speed limit reduced for a long distance with nothing happening' criteria.

sprjus4

I've noticed this infamously in West Virginia... on both I-77 and I-79, I recall long work zones with 55 mph speed limits (and flashing) with some cones on the side of the road for about 15-20 miles with zero physical work zone, shifted lanes, etc.

And reasonably so, traffic was still moving as if the 70 mph limit was in effect.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Revive 755 on April 06, 2023, 10:19:27 PM
Quote from: seicer on March 13, 2023, 06:17:58 PM
While I do not favor broad, automated traffic enforcement, I found work zone cameras to be great equalizers in enforcing speed limits through active work zones. There has been a good number of high-profile accidents in the work zones between Charleston and Huntington, WV, which include long "cattle chutes," shifting lanes, rough driving surfaces, and water on the roadway. I try to keep it at 55 MPH through the work zones but have been nearly rear-ended by people wanting to zip through active work zones. There are no areas for police to sit and patrol - and nowhere for them to pull people over.

The problem I have is there are too many work zones where the speed limit gets reduced to some arbitrary value just because there is or will be eventually be a work zone.  Even if there will not be workers near the roadway or the workers will be behind a concrete barrier and the roadway geometry is still fairly good.  I seem to recall at least one work zone in Kentucky that met the 'speed limit reduced for a long distance with nothing happening' criteria.

There is an extremely egregious example on I-75 between the Walton Weigh Station and the Mall Road exit where the entire road is reduced to 55 for a work zone, and the work zone was completely dormant for the entire winter with the new pavement already finished except for a few exit ramps that are part of the 338 and 536 projects anyway. Pretty much every single person is still going 70 through it and I see cops pulling over people constantly. It would be outrageous if everyone going over 55 got ticketed automatically when there has been no actual construction for months.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

seicer

Kentucky doesn't have a work zone speed limit that is in effect only when workers are present or when work is ongoing. That is something long done in West Virginia (although those blinking LEDs atop the work zone speed limit signs can be hard to see) and more recently done in Ohio (giant LED bulbs that flash). That would be great to see in my home state as some of those work zones are many, many miles long.

sprjus4

Quote from: seicer on April 07, 2023, 09:19:13 AM
Kentucky doesn't have a work zone speed limit that is in effect only when workers are present or when work is ongoing. That is something long done in West Virginia (although those blinking LEDs atop the work zone speed limit signs can be hard to see) and more recently done in Ohio (giant LED bulbs that flash). That would be great to see in my home state as some of those work zones are many, many miles long.
The problem is even with the "when flashing" , they often seem to flash when there's visibly no work. Or it's hard to tell if they're flashing or not.

sprjus4

Probably the most egregious example of a 55 mph work zone I can think of... US-59 southwest of Houston, TX was recently upgraded into a 6 lane rural interstate highway (from a 4 lane non-limited-access divided highway). The speed limit when it was divided, only 4 lanes and no access control was 65 mph.

The upgrade has been fully complete for around 2 years now, and it is still marked with a "work zone"  55 mph speed limit. There is zero work occurring. It has a 70 mph design speed and is a rural 6 lane interstate highway (I-69) design.

When I last drove through there, I was set around 70 mph, and was being passed like I was standing still. Clearly - the public has zero respect for artificially low limits and will not follow them.

I tweeted TxDOT last summer and they said a speed study was underway, but who knows when that'll get done. Isn't it normal to revert to at least the pre-construction limit (65 mph), then need a study just to go even higher (70-75 mph)? The fact it's sat at 55 mph for two years is ridiculous.

For context, this is the road in question: https://maps.app.goo.gl/Qx74LyP4VZPCcMqGA?g_st=ic

GCrites

Quote from: seicer on April 07, 2023, 09:19:13 AM
Kentucky doesn't have a work zone speed limit that is in effect only when workers are present or when work is ongoing. That is something long done in West Virginia (although those blinking LEDs atop the work zone speed limit signs can be hard to see)

Long enough that they used to be incandescent lights.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 07, 2023, 10:31:44 AM
The upgrade has been fully complete for around 2 years now, and it is still marked with a "work zone"  55 mph speed limit. There is zero work occurring. It has a 70 mph design speed and is a rural 6 lane interstate highway (I-69) design.

This reminds me of the Mountain Parkway in southeastern Kentucky, which was originally made with a 4 lane 70 mph section and a 2 (plus truck climbing lanes) lane 55 mph section. Most of the 2 lane section has been expanded to 4 lane, seemingly with a 70 mph design speed. The speed limit is STILL 55 mph, and it's SERIOUSLY enforced. Absolute boon for speeding ticket revenue and following the legal speed limit feels like driving a farm tractor through molasses.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

sprjus4

^ Instances like this are ridiculous IMO and should not be allowed, but anything for revenue...

The road was reconstructed to a 4 lane rural freeway with a 70 mph design speed, but the DOT for some reason refuses to post a proper speed limit. It's been open for quite a few years now, at least towards the eastern end. I could see them wanting to wait until the entire road is widened, but it's still annoying.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.