SW Pennsylvania

Started by rickmastfan67, November 30, 2011, 10:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Bitmapped

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 18, 2022, 04:06:11 PM
(For PA 281)  PennDOT - District 12 News: PennDOT Announces Virtual Plans Display for Route T311 Bruceton Road Reconstruction Improvement Project in Fayette County

I'm trying to figure out why PennDOT seems to be planning this widening project on a township road. This is a turned back section of PA 281. I'd like to see PennDOT take back ownership of the road as Henry Clay Township has done a poor job with maintaining signage and striping. Winter snow removal is also poor - I ran into problems here once where PennDOT has their section basically slushy and there were several inches of unplowed snow on the township-maintained section.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 20, 2022, 08:54:33 AM
(For PA 28)  PennDOT - District 11 News: Northbound Route 28 Off-ramp to Waterworks Drive/Freeport Road Closure Begins Monday Morning in Allegheny County

QuoteConstruction will include minor road widening of the southbound lanes near the Freeport Road on-ramp (Exit 8) interchange to allow for the existing lanes to be reassigned. At the completion of the project, southbound Route 28 will maintain two through lanes and an exit only off-ramp to Fox Chapel Road.

About time they get that fixed as well eliminating the last single thru lane setup in that area w/ the ones at the Highland Park Bridge too.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

CanesFan27

If Allegheny County's Orange Belt takes you to the outer edges of the county; the Yellow Belt, in contrast, may be the ultimate day trip within the county.  Shorter - and not as long or tedious of a drive - the Yellow Belt gives you a little bit of everything - suburbs, Mon Valley Industrial towns, recreation, and access to nearby shopping centers.

The Yellow Belt is a slightly over 75-mile-long journey through the heart of Allegheny County.  Though it is not as frustrating as the Orange Belt - fewer turns onto various roads and doesn't take as long - it still is a slow and at times frustrating drive at just under three hours.  But the variety of landscapes and proximity to various activities make it a great day trip for exploring.  And in a county as big as Allegheny, a chance to see much of the area you may have never seen before.

The Yellow Belt was a pleasant surprise for me.  It really gives a full taste of the communities within the county and around Pittsburgh.  Like the Orange Belt, it's a long drive.  The seemingly endless two lanes through the North Hills eat away at the time, as do all the traffic lights in Mt. Lebanon and Bethel Park.

However, the purpose of the Yellow Belt can easily be seen.  Not as a whole route but in segments of it.  It serves as a connector to communities, activity centers, and landmarks.  It serves as a signed (if you don't miss them) route vs. remembering the numerous streets you need to make a turn on or off.  It's not perfect and in the modern-day era of GPS and in-car navigation antiquated.  Yet, the Yellow Belt, more so than the Orange Belt, serves a purpose and can get you where you're going.

A drive on the Yellow Belt.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2022/11/allegheny-countys-day-trip-yellow-belt.html

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.