News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

SW Pennsylvania

Started by rickmastfan67, November 30, 2011, 10:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 04, 2023, 11:36:11 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 03, 2023, 10:25:07 AM
(For I-79 at PA 910)  PennDOT - District 11 News: I-79/Route 910 Wexford Interchange Project Online Virtual Public Meeting Tuesday

Not gonna lie, but this is needed.  About the only way I could see them making space between I-79 & Brandt School Road on PA-910, is to convert the I-79 interchange to a SPUI.

However, I could see that if (and it's a big if) they can move the NB ramps way closer to the bridge, I think there should be enough space to convert it to a DDI as long as they connect Sunny Hill Road on the SB side to connect to the Northern spur of Nicholson Road @ that traffic light.  This way, they wouldn't really have to mess with the SB ramps (sans making the split for the DDI).

Let's just avoid the SPUI problem by moving all of the ramps to the west side of I-79.  (basically that is what was presented tonight, I am unsure why they are calling it an offset SPUI)  Having stated that, this could arguably end the graph connection between I-79 and PA 910 in Travel Mapping.

PennDOT - District 11 News: Route 3014 McKees Rocks Bridge Short-term Closure Wednesday in McKees Rocks

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

ARMOURERERIC

Having had grown up in the vicinity, I would really like to see a graphic of that design.

74/171FAN

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on February 07, 2023, 07:21:19 PM
Having had grown up in the vicinity, I would really like to see a graphic of that design.

Hopefully, it will be posted within the next couple days.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

(For PA 65)  PennDOT - District 11 News: Route 65 On-ramps to Southbound I-79 Reopened in Allegheny County

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 06, 2023, 01:56:43 PM
(For PA 51 and PA 168)  (and seems to also affect OH 14) PennDOT - District 11 News: Route 51, Beaver County Roadway Closures Underway in Darlington Township

PennDOT - District 11 News: Beaver County Roadways Reopen in Darlington Township

QuotePittsburgh, PA — PennDOT District 11 is announcing the reopening of Route 51 and several roadways in Darlington Township, Beaver County.

Route 51 and several Beaver County roadways were closed to traffic Monday morning due to the train derailment in Ohio. All roads in Beaver County have reopened to traffic.

Motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles, including color-coded winter conditions on 2,900 miles, by visiting 511PA. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information, and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras.

511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional twitter alerts accessible on the 511PA website.

Information about infrastructure in District 11 including completed work and significant projects, is available at PennDOT District 11 Results. Find PennDOT's planned and active construction projects at PennDOT Projects. 

Follow PennDOT on Twitter and like the department on Facebook and Instagram. 

74/171FAN

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 07, 2023, 07:38:54 PM

The link to the presentation has been posted. 

MASTERNC

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 09, 2023, 08:09:20 AM

Looks like what PennDOT did on US 422 for PA 23 outside King of Prussia.  The big difference is there is only one flyover ramp (for the off-ramp from 422 EB to PA 23) and both directions of PA 23 have their own ramp to 422 WB.  They eliminated a weaving area on one side and two adjacent intersections on the other (similar to what you have now in Wexford).

Also appears the 79 NB off-ramp will have two right turn lanes with a painted separation between them.  If they keep that design, I'm guessing the outer lane would allow right on red and the inner lane would not?

Mr_Northside

Not a bad design.   I'd think just spacing out the distance between the 79 NB-off/on ramps and Brandt School Rd will help a lot.
I do wonder about the decision for PA-910 (and non-910 Wexford Bayne Rd beyond) having the right lane be right-only to NB I-79 and only continuing with one thru-lane to non-910 Wexford Bayne Rd, as opposed to being a right/straight option and continuing 2 thru lanes (and allowing a dual left from the 79 NB off ramp) - I'm guessing traffic pattern studies shown that was the best decision.

Quote from: MASTERNC on February 09, 2023, 10:48:49 AM
Also appears the 79 NB off-ramp will have two right turn lanes with a painted separation between them.  If they keep that design, I'm guessing the outer lane would allow right on red and the inner lane would not?

While that could be possible, I don't think PennDOT does that very much.   If I had to bet, I'd bet neither lane will allow right-on-red.  I suspect they'll advise that traffic in the far right lane be destined for Brandt School Rd, and the second right for 910/VIP drive  (somewhat like now)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

rickmastfan67

Heh, shocked that they'd want to turn it into a SPUI on the west side of the interchange and introduce two new bridges to maintain.  Thought a DDI would have been a better choice as long as they moved the NB ramps closer to the mainline I-79.

Plus, would have though they'd leave a slip ramp from the WB PA-910 lanes to the NB lanes of I-79 and keep that movement on the east side of the interchange.  Would be better IMO & keep that movement freeflowing.  That way, they could have 2 straight lanes thru the traffic light, instead of 1 straight & 1 right.

74/171FAN

PennDOT - District 11 News: Northbound Highland Park Bridge Long-term Lane Restriction Begins Monday in Sharpsburg

QuotePittsburgh, PA — PennDOT District 11 is announcing a long-term northbound lane restriction on the Highland Park Bridge in Sharpsburg Borough, Allegheny County, will begin Monday, February 13 weather permitting.

The left-hand lane from the Highland Park Bridge/Freeport Road interchange to Route 28 will close to traffic around-the-clock beginning at 7 a.m. Monday continuously through late August.  Crews will conduct bridge reconstruction, drainage improvement, roadway reconstruction, highway lighting and traffic signal work.

All ramps will remain open at this time. Information on additional ramp closures will be provided in advance of the work beginning.

This work is part of the $47.31 million Route 28 Highland Park Interchange Project that includes reconstruction of Route 28 between North Canal Street/Kittanning Pike and extending north/east to the Delafield Avenue Interchange, the reestablishment of two travel lanes on Route 28 in each direction through the interchange, and construction of improved acceleration and deceleration ramps. Also included in the project is the reconstruction of the Route 28 ramps with the Highland Park Bridge and Freeport Road, bridge/wall preservation work, bridge, and roadway widening, sound barriers, and miscellaneous operational and safety improvements.

Motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras.

511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional Twitter alerts accessible on the 511PA website.

(For PA 885)  PennDOT - District 11 News: Route 885 Boulevard of the Allies Daylight Traffic Stoppages Next Week in Pittsburgh

QuotePittsburgh, PA — PennDOT District 11 is announcing short-term daylight traffic stoppages on the Boulevard of Allies (Route 885) in the City of Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, will occur Monday through Thursday, February 13-16 weather permitting.

Traffic stoppages of 15 minutes or less will occur from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. each day on the Boulevard of the Allies between the Crosstown Boulevard and the Birmingham Bridge.  Crews will conduct shielding installation, dam replacement work, concrete barrier and deck repairs, and other miscellaneous construction activities.

Preservation work on two mainline Route 885 Boulevard of the Allies bridges and several ramps at the interchange are included in this $35.41 million project. Work will include bridge deck repairs and overlays, expansion dam replacements, steel superstructure and substructure repairs, bearing replacements, full painting, concrete substructure repairs, downspout replacements, drainage repairs, signing and pavement parking upgrades and other miscellaneous construction activities. Motorists will encounter short term lane closures, night and weekend closures of the ramps and Route 885 in each direction, weekend lane restrictions, and overnight directional closures of I-376 Parkway East, long-term closures of Forbes Avenue, Brady Street, and ramps at the Birmingham Bridge. Short-term and weeknight lane closures of Second Avenue are also included throughout this multi-year project.

Motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles, including color-coded winter conditions on 2,900 miles, by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information, and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras.

511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional twitter alerts.

Subscribe to PennDOT news and traffic alerts in Allegheny, Beaver, and Lawrence counties at www.penndot.pa.gov/District11.

Information about infrastructure in District 11, including completed work and significant projects, is available at www.penndot.pa.gov/D11Results. Find PennDOT's planned and active construction projects at www.projects.penndot.gov.

Follow local PennDOT news on Twitter and like the department on Facebook and Instagram.

Gnutella

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 10, 2023, 12:25:01 AM

Heh, shocked that they'd want to turn it into a SPUI on the west side of the interchange and introduce two new bridges to maintain.  Thought a DDI would have been a better choice as long as they moved the NB ramps closer to the mainline I-79.

Plus, would have though they'd leave a slip ramp from the WB PA-910 lanes to the NB lanes of I-79 and keep that movement on the east side of the interchange.  Would be better IMO & keep that movement freeflowing.  That way, they could have 2 straight lanes thru the traffic light, instead of 1 straight & 1 right.

"Diverging diamond" interchanges are terrible in areas with high traffic volumes. In Georgia, the I-85 interchange at Pleasant Hill Road and the I-285 interchange at Ashford-Dunwoody Road both have poor service levels. SPUIs are far superior.

ARMOURERERIC

If I were doing it, and I am familiar with the topology, though not the NIMBY politics, I would do a 6 ramp Parco as follows:

79 north, ramp to Brant School between Sorgels and Orchard Hill Church labeled:

To PA 910 East
Brant School Rd
Wexford

Then an off ramp and on ramp to 79 North connecting to the intersection of Mingo and Neely School Rd labeled:

To PA 910 West
Neely school rd
Bradford Woods

For South 79, keep the existing off ramp for

Wexford Bane Rd
Ambridge

Then SB Off ramp and on ramp to 79 South meeting at Nicholson South of Blaymore.  The ramp labeled:

To PA 910 East
Nicholson Rd
Wexford
Franklin Park

No extra bridges needed
No signals between Nichloson and Brant School
New signal on both Nicholson and Mingo Roads

74/171FAN

CE Expert System:  US 22/US 30 at I-376/PA 60 (This is the project that will convert this interchange to a DDI.)

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

CanesFan27

With the help of friend of the site, PAHighways.com's Jeff Kitsko, I was able to update the Pittsburgh International Airport Ghost Ramps history page.  The new map shows the routing and planned 3.67-mile extension of the Beaver Valley Expressway (then PA 60 now I-376 and 376 Business) to serve as a bypass of the former main entrance to the former Greater Pittsburgh International Airport.  The new map details the plans for this highway, which for over 30 years was a set of two-lane ghost stubs that dead-ended into a hillside at the cargo entrance to the airport.

The Beaver Valley Expressway Extension would include an interchange at Beers School Road (now University Drive) and a different version of the Thorn Run Road Interchange that exists today.  Also, a never built trumpet interchange (called the McCutcheon Interchange) would lead to a new terminal access road.

Of course, the extension/bypass was never built - and would be moot nearly 20 years later when the new Landside Terminal and accompanying freeway was built.

Updated page is here: https://www.gribblenation.org/2017/04/the-story-behind-ghost-ramps-around.html

CanesFan27

A few days ago in my hometown FB group someone posted a photo of this wall map of Southern Allegheny County.  Like many maps of the era, the map shows the new PA 48 corridor.  However, this was the first map that I have seen that gave a good idea of the route north of US 30 and into Monroeville.

"Highlights" include that the new 48 would after crossing US 30 (east of where the old K-Mart Plaza at PA 48 was/is) that it would head into the Turtle Creek Valley and into the southern limits of Trafford before turning west to parallel the railroad and PA 130 through the valley.

It crossed 48 again at the current-day PA 130/48 intersection (where the Sheetz is) and then would turn north to parallel Mosside Blvd (PA 48) to the west along Tilbrook Road.

The New 48 would cross PA 48 again at Northern Pike before tying into the US 22/Parkway East/PA Turnpike Interchange.

The routing would have taken out the Haymaker Village Shopping Plaza along PA 130 in Trafford.  I wonder if the interchange at the PA 48/130 intersection (at the north side of the Wall Bridge) would have had possible connections built-in for the Tri-Boro Expressway (never made it that far east anyways).

Finally, it would have been interesting to see how the New 48 would have wound around the Gateway High School Complex at 48/Northern Pike.  Gateway High School opened in 1958 - and most published corridor routes for the New 48 came out in the mid-late 1960s.

You really never know where you can stumble across a clue in a roadgeeking mystery.
I've updated the NEW PA 48 page at Gribblenation as a result:
https://www.gribblenation.org/2017/12/the-new-pa-48-unbuilt-eastern-allegheny.html

MASTERNC

Looks like the I-79 crossover north of the Ohio River has been a trouble spot since it opened this past weekend.  PennDOT is making changes and likely reducing the speed limit (they had kept it at the normal 55 MPH) but the southbound side is down to one lane.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/penndot-making-changes-after-crashes-new-i-79-crossover/DCH3OU6WP5G2BLHOT6BCMBNWUY/

They are also using these oddly shaped metal barriers instead of concrete.  They are wider at the top than the concrete ones, and I know someone who didn't realize that and ended up with a long scratch down the side of their car.

74/171FAN

MASTERNC

Looks like maybe they're installing rumble strips across the road like they used to do in northwest PA?

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

MASTERNC

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.