News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Poor Sign Placement

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, June 24, 2012, 09:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

national highway 1

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on November 10, 2012, 09:51:51 PM

Quote from: Road Hog on November 15, 2012, 08:36:05 AM
Who'd want to go to Los Banos anyway?  :sombrero:
Anyone from San Jose / Santa Clara County who wants to use CA 152 to get to I-5...
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

bjrush

Pretty poor placement on MLK Jr. Blvd in Fayetteville, AR. Supposed to give guidance for AR 180.
Woo Pig Sooie

PHLBOS

Salem, MA (Riley Plaza: MA 114/Washington St./Norman St./New Derby St. intersection):

Street light pole block paddle LGS assembly facing MA 114 Westbound (Washington St.) traffic.
Major LGS WEST 114 PEABODY 4 DANVERS 5 w/old style Left-arrow going through the 114 numerals (directing those to turn left onto Norman St.)

Minor LGS 1A NORTH BEVERLY w/an upward arrow placed to the right of the message (directing those to continue along Washington St.)

Note: the minor LGS is not completely accurate.  MA 1A doesn't even touch Washington St. (114 breaks from 1A at the Washington St./Lafayette St. intersection) and 1A continues along Lafayette St. to Derby St. (where Northbound traffic turns right).  LGS should read TO 1A NORTH BEVERLY.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

corco

A couple on I-10 east of Las Cruces
This is advance signage on I-10 east for FM 1905 in Texas. They built a soundwall but never replaced the sign.

Here's the streetview from the other side of the soundwall pre-soundwall
http://goo.gl/maps/UkmLG

And then there's this just after the I-10/I-25 junction

roadman65

How about many of the road signs along John Young Parkway in Orange County, FL?  Many "NEXT SIGNAL" signs are placed behind preexisting trees that block view of the sign.  In some places, even next to the sign makes it unreadable.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

There's really no way to avoid this one other than turning it into a full interchange or finding a different wording for the yellow auxiliary sign. It's just a very unfortunate coincidence that this sign has to go with this destination....and it's made all the worse by FL-407 being named "Challenger Memorial Parkway."  :-o

http://goo.gl/maps/1TBBt
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

^ Hmmmm...never thought of it like that.

NE2

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 30, 2012, 10:59:29 AM
There's really no way to avoid this one other than turning it into a full interchange
They're actually doing this as part of the current six-laning project.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Michael

They should have contacted NYSDOT for a solution.  This is on NY 481 North between North Syracuse and Clay:

Credit: AARoads

agentsteel53

one of two '57 spec interstate shields in Arizona.  the other one is on the other side of this gantry.

one is in terrible light, the other is next to impossible to photograph.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Roadsguy

Is that seriously a sign placed backwards? :pan:
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

1995hoo

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 03, 2012, 07:52:31 AM

I assume your comment is TIC? The picture is from Australia and they drive on the left.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadsguy

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 03, 2012, 08:02:29 AM
Quote from: Roadsguy on December 03, 2012, 07:52:31 AM

I assume your comment is TIC? The picture is from Australia and they drive on the left.

I knew they drive on the left, but is that two-way? I thought it was one-way and the other direction was shielded by trees or something. X-(

Come to think of it, there are two solid lines in the right half of that road...

(What does TIC stand for anyway?)
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

deathtopumpkins

TIC = Tongue-In-Cheek.

And no, a double solid line generally indicates a two-way road. I believe the reason this sign was posted is because it's so far off to the side of the road.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Roadsguy

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on December 03, 2012, 03:05:05 PM
And no, a double solid line generally indicates a two-way road.

I knew that already.

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 03, 2012, 01:15:03 PM
Come to think of it, there are two solid lines in the right half of that road...

By that I meant I just now saw that.

1995hoo

This sign (and another in an identical spot a little further up the road) can be found on Eisenhower Avenue in Alexandria, Virginia. It's not so much "poor sign placement" as it is "utterly pointless sign placement," but this seemed like the proper thread. It's not like anyone would turn there without the "Do Not Enter" sign–maybe a "No Parking or Standing Anytime" sign might be more appropriate.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 03, 2012, 01:15:03 PM

Perhaps the left lane headed uphill is a climbing lane? 

Might be especially needed if this segment of highway is used by road trains.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Billy F 1988

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=46.869758,-113.986011&spn=0.000001,0.00066&t=h&z=21&layer=c&cbll=46.869759,-113.986266&panoid=0T6q5yrQgDs3bCxXTy0Q2Q&cbp=13,326.62,,0,0

I think this one deserves Poor Sign Placement. The BGS hidden partially from the bushes say:

This is posted just before the West Broadway/Madison Street junction of I-90 Business/US 12 Business and US 12 westbound.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Roadsguy

PHLBOS

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on December 04, 2012, 11:27:06 PM
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=46.869758,-113.986011&spn=0.000001,0.00066&t=h&z=21&layer=c&cbll=46.869759,-113.986266&panoid=0T6q5yrQgDs3bCxXTy0Q2Q&cbp=13,326.62,,0,0

I think this one deserves Poor Sign Placement. The BGS hidden partially from the bushes say:

This is posted just before the West Broadway/Madison Street junction of I-90 Business/US 12 Business and US 12 westbound.
Something tells me that particular BGS was placed years prior to the tree being that large.  Nothing that a good chainsaw wouldn't fix.  :biggrin:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Billy F 1988

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 05, 2012, 07:58:39 AM
Quote from: Billy F 1988 on December 04, 2012, 11:27:06 PM

I think that's more like "poor tree placement." :P

Well, that problem never existed when that BGS was installed around '74 or '75. Most signs I see in Missoula have been dated as far back as 1975. I guess the tree was REALLY small but now it's at the same height as the post and covering half of that sign.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

agentsteel53

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on December 06, 2012, 01:41:35 PM
Well, that problem never existed when that BGS was installed around '74 or '75. Most signs I see in Missoula have been dated as far back as 1975. I guess the tree was REALLY small but now it's at the same height as the post and covering half of that sign.

is that a button copy sign?  I've never seen button copy in Montana.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Billy F 1988

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 06, 2012, 01:44:26 PM
Quote from: Billy F 1988 on December 06, 2012, 01:41:35 PM

is that a button copy sign?  I've never seen button copy in Montana.

I'm not quite sure. The clarity from the Google Street View vehicle isn't that good. I may have to go to that spot and photograph it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.