News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Poor Sign Placement

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, June 24, 2012, 09:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

END 27 blocking JCT 4 sign in Massachusetts. You can find this on the AlpsRoads website.

Any time a speed limit sign is placed directly before a stoplight.

Clinched, plus NH 38, MA 286, and MA 193

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
Many state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25

New: MA 193 clinched and a tiny bit of CT 193 traveled

My computer is currently under repair. This means I can't update Travel Mapping and have limited ability for the image threads.

hbelkins

Quote from: 1 on September 17, 2013, 02:15:36 PM

Or this:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

at least that has reflective red diamonds.  I was once driving around Atlanta at night, and 30 feet past a SPEED LIMIT 35 sign was a black tarp covering a pile of dirt that had been used to close off a road.  I almost ran into it at full speed!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on September 17, 2013, 02:58:31 PM
Or this:

...That's just a little bit more than the law would allow...

Billy F 1988

Quote from: hbelkins on September 17, 2013, 02:58:31 PM
Quote from: 1 on September 17, 2013, 02:15:36 PM

Or this:

A 55 MPH crash test out in the open! Oh, what a novel concept!  :biggrin:

I mean, whoever put the SPEED LIMIT 55 sign near the armco barricade is a total whackjob and should refrain from working with the city's transportation division.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

1995hoo

Well, just because it says "55" doesn't mean anyone is required to go that fast.....

In keeping with formulanone's comment, though, I also pictured Bo and Luke Duke jumping to the road on the far side.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on September 17, 2013, 03:13:02 PM
I mean, whoever put the SPEED LIMIT 55 sign near the armco barricade is a total whackjob and should refrain from working with the city's transportation division.

...pretty sure that 55 sign was there long before the road was closed.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

hbelkins

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on September 20, 2013, 11:11:39 PM
Quote from: Billy F 1988 on September 17, 2013, 03:13:02 PM

...pretty sure that 55 sign was there long before the road was closed.

It was. They didn't remove it when they barricaded the road. This is along the new US 70 alignment near Clayton, NC.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Aerobird

Quote from: Central Avenue on August 31, 2012, 09:11:42 PM
I love how they included block numbers as if the Wal-Mart parking lot entrance is a street.
Interestingly, when they built a Wal-Mart here a few years back, the entrance was actually named as a street (named after the fellow who was County Commissioner at the time - still in the office, even). Some slight justification might be because it also provided access to the road network of a trailer park whose access road it replaced...

Quote from: Ace10 on October 05, 2012, 10:58:22 PMThere's also an odd error on US 90 in Ocean Springs, MS. At a certain portion, southbound US 90's speed limit is 45, while the northbound direction's speed limit is 55. I'm debating on whether to call MDOT and ask them if there's a good reason why opposing directions of traffic are supposed to follow speed limits that differ by 10 mph.
On US-319 here there's a place where southbound is 55, and northbound is 45, but that's because the northbound lanes swing out to an extra-wide median width so southbound 319 can have a left-bound "exit" for south FL-61 - which then has a traffic light where it crosses northbound 319, which I believe explains the lower limit. (This was billed through construction, it should be noted, as a "flyover"...  :banghead:)

Quote from: NE2 on November 30, 2012, 02:29:41 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on November 30, 2012, 10:59:29 AM
There's really no way to avoid this one other than turning it into a full interchange
They're actually doing this as part of the current six-laning project.
They are? Finally? Is it a full freeway-to-freeway junction now or a more "conventional" one?
Rule 37. There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

NE2

A simple folded diamond.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vdeane

I assume this was installed by the New York State Department of Redundancy.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SidS1045

Quote from: vdeane on October 03, 2013, 07:40:42 PM

I thought it was the Department of Redundancy Department.  Silly me.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Billy F 1988

Well, there's another Alanland moment for 'ya today! :biggrin:
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

xcellntbuy

Quote from: SidS1045 on October 03, 2013, 10:50:25 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 03, 2013, 07:40:42 PM

I thought it was the Department of Redundancy Department.  Silly me.
The ground-mounted sign is most likely the original BGS from the days when the last section of Interstate 787 was opened north of 23rd Street at the Watervliet/Green Island municipal line.  Therefore, this original southbound I-787 BGS probably was installed just after Interstate 787 was extended up to NY 7 at the Collar City Bridge into Troy.  The exit tabs were added long afterward.  For many years, Interstate 787 BGSs had no numbered exits.  On my last few trips back up to New York, I noticed many new and quite substantially constructed sign bridges have been erected.  This approximately 30-year old ground-mounted sign will probably be removed in time.

CentralCAroadgeek

Here's a Philippine example of one:

First of all, this is what the sign says:
"EXIT ->
MAGALLANES"

In this one, the sign is on the gore point. This would be some poor placement because this might lead to miss the exit due to the sign's location. This would've been avoided if this sign would be placed before the exit rather than on the gore point.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: NE2 on December 26, 2013, 12:54:02 AM
Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on December 26, 2013, 12:41:53 AM
In this one, the sign is on the gore point.

I know those, but the the problem with this one is that the sign (There's only one) is where the "Loop 12" sign would be, over the main road.

roadman65

Both signs should be on the bridge instead of one up and the other down below.  In fact the lower sign with the mileages to control points was there first as the overhead (sorry about the cut off) was erected with the overpass later on.

I guess contractors only do what they are supposed to even when engineers screw up.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

theline

Here's a brand new one, part of the US-31 upgrade on the south side of South Bend.

The photo was shot from a safe location, so it's not obvious that the new Kern Road exit sign is directly behind the Exit marker in the motorist's view. This ramp is not being relocated, so I doubt that the Exit sign is being moved. The sign could be confusing, coming right in the middle of US-20 exit. Just ahead is an overhead for the loop ramp for US-20 EB. If they wanted to mention Kern Road, that would be a good place to do so.

It could also be pointed out that this sign is posted on Business 31, while the exit is off of mainline 31. The mainline is physically straight ahead from here.

djlynch

Where US 290 crosses Williamson Creek in southwest Austin, the City of Austin recently installed a street sign blade for Patton Ranch Road a foot or two in front of and at the same height as the first line of the sign for Williamson Creek, so it's impossible to tell in the dark that there's a street sign there and that the sign isn't indicating that the highway is going over Patton Ranch Creek.

1995hoo

Cross-posted from the thread about "No Passing Zone" pennants. Seen this past Friday on US-301 in Virginia somewhere between Bowling Green and the Richmond suburbs:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 05, 2014, 03:09:32 PM
Cross-posted from the thread about "No Passing Zone" pennants. Seen this past Friday on US-301 in Virginia somewhere between Bowling Green and the Richmond suburbs:

VDOT doing a good job making sure those being overtaken understand that they are not supposed to be overtaken anymore.

DTComposer

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on December 26, 2013, 12:41:53 AM
In this one, the sign is on the gore point.

FWIW, this one has since been replaced by a sign about 1/8 mile upstream, and the gore point now only contains an EXIT sign on a post.

myosh_tino

These types of signs trusses (called a "butterfly truss") were quite common in California back in the day.  Caltrans is slowly phasing out this type of truss for safety reasons.

FWIW, I believe the above truss and signs date back to when US 40 still existed in California because of the offset placement of the I-80 shields.  I think, at one time, the signs had both I-80 and US 40 shields.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Henry

Baltimore is full of them!

The freeway formerly known as I-170:

Normally, the background for a lane closed sign would be orange, not yellow (as shown on the small diamond sign on the bottom left in the first photo). Also, the exit sign was totally unnecessary, as the pavement that followed after it was a complete waste of perfectly good concrete; and the Downtown/MLK Blvd/US 1 signs should not have been put up either, especially when it was known that I-70 was never going to come in from the west because of that pesky park, which the environmentalists successfully protected many decades ago.

I-83's southern end:

I-83's supposed "interchange" with Fayette Street is actually a five-way intersection where President Street picks up to the south, and the Fallsway branches off the northbound side; perhaps there would've been a diamond interchange at Gay/Pleasant Street (and no access for Fayette Street) had it been completed to I-95 as originally planned.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.