News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Maryland

Started by Alps, May 22, 2011, 12:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

epzik8

Went through the Fort McHenry southbound today for the first time since they got rid of cash payment (I've been through the Harbor Tunnel multiple times since then) and dodged a bullet when I went through what may have been the pay-by-plate scanners after getting distracted by my passenger who wanted me to get off at Keith Avenue (when I was going to get off at Russell Street, where I was dropping him off) and missed the splits for the E-ZPass booths. Just checked my account and the $3 was nonetheless deducted from it. On my return trip, I went through downtown to avoid paying the toll again northbound.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

tckma

Quote from: TheOneKEA on March 14, 2023, 05:13:21 PM
The Maryland State Roads Commission and its successor agency MDOT SHA have never cared about conflict between state highway numbers and Interstate highway numbers, because they (correctly, IMO) believe that the driving public can tell the difference. What they do/did object to was conflict between US highway designations and state highway designations; today, the only known duplicate numbers in the system today are US 219/MD 219 and US 222/MD 222, and the former is an unsigned segment of a so-far incomplete bypass of downtown Oakland in Garrett County.

Isn't MD-222 just a continuation of US-222, just like PA-222 is a continuation of US-222 at its other end?

No, the divided highway segment of MD 140 was never planned to be part of the Interstate system. The furthest north that a real freeway should/could reach is the intersection of MD 140 and MD 91, and doing that would require a LOT of right-of-way acquisition. Past that point, the existing project on the books to build grade separations at the major intersections between MD 27 and MD 97/Malcolm Road in downtown Westminster would substantially improve the capacity of the highway.

That Malcolm Road project was on the books as far back as 2011; I remember seeing it when I was looking up roads in Westminster shortly after I moved there.  I doubt it will ever get built; Starbucks and Popeye's are both WAY too close to the road to allow for ramp construction, plus I *think* they built a new shopping center where the Ruby Tuesday used to be; they knocked down that building right before I moved out of Maryland.

Also right before I moved, SHA reconstructed the intersection of MD-140/MD-97 with North Center Street as the new mini-mall with the CVS was built replacing Len Stoler Chevrolet.  This involved widening North Center Street and putting in dedicated turn lanes.  Seems wasteful now to grade-separate that after that intersection was so recently expanded.

The layout of Gorsuch Road, both north of 140/97 going up the hill, and south of 140/97 with that rakish angle turn going behind the Domino's plaza, is such that I doubt any grade separation could be made there without creating a second intersection for the southern section of Gorsuch.  I doubt the owners of the shopping plaza or the Hess/Marathon station would like THAT very much.

I think Ralph Street @ 140/97 got new signal heads and mast arms recently.

I think it's safe to say that MD SHA has abandoned any plans for grade-separating interchanges along the MD-140/MD-97 concurrency between Malcolm Road and MD-27.

famartin

Quote from: tckma on March 15, 2023, 04:00:12 PM
The Maryland State Roads Commission and its successor agency MDOT SHA have never cared about conflict between state highway numbers and Interstate highway numbers, because they (correctly, IMO) believe that the driving public can tell the difference. What they do/did object to was conflict between US highway designations and state highway designations; today, the only known duplicate numbers in the system today are US 219/MD 219 and US 222/MD 222, and the former is an unsigned segment of a so-far incomplete bypass of downtown Oakland in Garrett County.

Isn't MD-222 just a continuation of US-222, just like PA-222 is a continuation of US-222 at its other end?
It's an old segment of US 222, which was truncated from US 40 to US 1. It's not continuous since MD 222 ends at its junction with US 1, not at US 222.

The Ghostbuster

US 222 was truncated in 1995, since according to https://www.usends.com/222.html, "the road through Port Deposit (between Conowingo and Perryville) is narrow and not very conducive to truck traffic." Personally, I would have left MD 222 as US 222. Interestingly enough, MD 222's southern terminus is not at US 1, but at MD 7 at the corner of Aiken Avenue and Philadelphia Road. The only conclusion would be that MD 7 was once part of US 40 (which is accurate).

MASTERNC

Work is starting to replace bridges east of Exit 35 on I-70.  A temporary bridge is being constructed, and a speed camera has been installed eastbound (the first direction to be replaced).

jmacswimmer

Horrific work-zone crash on I-695 just north of I-70 yesterday afternoon:

(The work-zone in question is a project involving the median barrier of I-695 in the area, with temporary barriers set up directly against the left lane in both directions.)

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/beltway-crash-6-dead-woodlawn-maryland/43389717
Six people were killed Wednesday afternoon in a crash on the westside of the Baltimore Beltway in Woodlawn.

According to Maryland State Police, troopers were called around 12:40 p.m. for reports of a pedestrian struck at a work zone on the Inner Loop of the Beltway near Security Boulevard.

A preliminary investigation indicates the car entered the work zone in between jersey walls, struck construction workers and overturned.

"The preliminary investigation, at this point, indicates that, for reasons unknown, an Acura traveled in between the jersey walls and struck the contract workers that were on that scene. All six contract workers were declared deceased at the scene by EMS personnel," Maryland State Police spokeswoman Elena Russo told 11 News.

Editting to add in the most recent news release from Maryland State Police: https://news.maryland.gov/msp/2023/03/22/state-police-identify-drivers-of-two-vehicles-involved-in-i-695-crash/
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

MASTERNC

Quote from: jmacswimmer on March 23, 2023, 08:54:52 AM

(The work-zone in question is a project involving the median barrier of I-695 in the area, with temporary barriers set up directly against the left lane in both directions.)

Six people were killed Wednesday afternoon in a crash on the westside of the Baltimore Beltway in Woodlawn.

According to Maryland State Police, troopers were called around 12:40 p.m. for reports of a pedestrian struck at a work zone on the Inner Loop of the Beltway near Security Boulevard.

A preliminary investigation indicates the car entered the work zone in between jersey walls, struck construction workers and overturned.

"The preliminary investigation, at this point, indicates that, for reasons unknown, an Acura traveled in between the jersey walls and struck the contract workers that were on that scene. All six contract workers were declared deceased at the scene by EMS personnel," Maryland State Police spokeswoman Elena Russo told 11 News.

Editting to add in the most recent news release from Maryland State Police: https://news.maryland.gov/msp/2023/03/22/state-police-identify-drivers-of-two-vehicles-involved-in-i-695-crash/

Sounds like one vehicle hit another when changing lanes, causing the other one to lose control and veer into the work area.

Not sure if speed is a factor, but maybe we see MSP and SHA implement more speed cameras for temporary work zones.  I think all but one camera setup has been for permanent long-term work zones rather than temporary daily work zones.

davewiecking

Quote from: MASTERNC on March 23, 2023, 10:32:30 AM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on March 23, 2023, 08:54:52 AM

Sounds like one vehicle hit another when changing lanes, causing the other one to lose control and veer into the work area.

Not sure if speed is a factor, but maybe we see MSP and SHA implement more speed cameras for temporary work zones.  I think all but one camera setup has been for permanent long-term work zones rather than temporary daily work zones.

WaPo write up; gifted article. https://wapo.st/3FLTaJ5

jmacswimmer

Quote from: davewiecking on March 23, 2023, 11:49:33 AM
WaPo write up; gifted article. https://wapo.st/3FLTaJ5

I saw the WaPo article interviewed KCI's CEO, and I did hear thru the grapevine that one of the deceased is a KCI employee - my understanding is KCI is providing inspection services on this project, with Concrete General as the contractor.

Editing to add in the latest release from Maryland State Police ID'ing the victims: https://news.maryland.gov/msp/2023/03/23/state-police-release-identities-of-victims-involved-in-i-695-fatal-crash/

I wouldn't be surprised if this area is quickly added to the SafeZones program, as the concrete barriers against the left lane have been in place since mid-November IIRC (should have been clearer in my initial post). There are short gaps in the barrier to allow for construction access, so the 2 possibilities are that the car slipped thru one of these gaps or flipped directly over the barrier after the initial collision with the 2nd car.

This has also been a focus point for MDOT SHA's Office of Traffic & Safety (OOTS) even before this incident occurred - at an industry conference a month ago, I sat in on a presentation given by the OOTS director as well as Allan Myers on work zone safety. The presentation wasn't recorded, but the slides they used are publicly available here for anyone interested. (Here are direct links to part 1 & part 2 of the presentation slides).
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

jmacswimmer

Meanwhile on a lighter note, the northbound toll gantry at the Fort McHenry Tunnel is set to be activated early next week (the southbound gantry was activated back in January):

"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

MASTERNC

Quote from: jmacswimmer on March 23, 2023, 12:54:07 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if this area is quickly added to the SafeZones program, as the concrete barriers against the left lane have been in place since mid-November IIRC (should have been clearer in my initial post). There are short gaps in the barrier to allow for construction access, so the 2 possibilities are that the car slipped thru one of these gaps or flipped directly over the barrier after the initial collision with the 2nd car.

This has also been a focus point for MDOT SHA's Office of Traffic & Safety (OOTS) even before this incident occurred - at an industry conference a month ago, I sat in on a presentation given by the OOTS director as well as Allan Myers on work zone safety. The presentation wasn't recorded, but the slides they used are publicly available here for anyone interested. (Here are direct links to part 1 & part 2 of the presentation slides).

Maryland has one of the longest running work zone camera programs.  Since then, a lot more have come online.  Perhaps it is time to look at "best practices".  Pennsylvania seems to have a good mix of enforcement in short-term and long-term work zones (though they can only legally enforce when workers are present) and has escalating fines for repeat offenders after an initial warning.  Delaware's pilot program based the fine on the actual speed (and ran 24/7 with fixed cameras) but also had a first-time warning.

jmacswimmer

For anyone who wants to view (I will warn it's nasty), footage of the crash from an adjacent traffic camera has made its way onto the internet. It clearly shows the overturned car attempting to pass between 2 side-by-side cars in the left 2 lanes, and getting pushed right thru a gap in the construction barrier into the work zone.

https://foxbaltimore.com/amp/news/local/video-shows-collision-moments-before-6-people-killed-baltimore-beltway-crash

Anecdotally I drove thru there southbound a few hours ago on the way down to DC for a Caps game tonight, and there was no active work today (as I figured would be the case).
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Alex4897

Quote from: jmacswimmer on March 23, 2023, 04:33:53 PM
For anyone who wants to view (I will warn it's nasty), footage of the crash from an adjacent traffic camera has made its way onto the internet. It clearly shows the overturned car attempting to pass between 2 side-by-side cars in the left 2 lanes, and getting pushed right thru a gap in the construction barrier into the work zone.

https://foxbaltimore.com/amp/news/local/video-shows-collision-moments-before-6-people-killed-baltimore-beltway-crash

Anecdotally I drove thru there southbound a few hours ago on the way down to DC for a Caps game tonight, and there was no active work today (as I figured would be the case).

I sense some jail time in both of those drivers' futures, they were FLYING through that construction zone.
👉😎👉

Mergingtraffic

Are the I-95 Express Lane extension projects including connecting the i-695 Ghost Ramps to the express lanes?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

jmacswimmer

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on April 06, 2023, 04:13:42 PM
Are the I-95 Express Lane extension projects including connecting the i-695 Ghost Ramps to the express lanes?

2 of the ramps - from each direction of I-695 to the northbound ETL's - are in design, estimated to begin construction in 2025, and should be open prior to the full northbound ETL extension opening. The remaining 6 ramps currently do not have a timeline.

https://mdta.maryland.gov/I95ETLNB/I-695_Northbound_ETL_Ramps
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

ixnay

There is talk of altering the US 50/MD 818 intersection on the outskirts of Berlin.

https://mdcoastdispatch.com/2023/04/12/berlin-intersection-changes-weighed/

The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Henry

Quote from: ixnay on April 14, 2023, 08:12:08 PM
There is talk of altering the US 50/MD 818 intersection on the outskirts of Berlin.

https://mdcoastdispatch.com/2023/04/12/berlin-intersection-changes-weighed/

And from this article, we get a new road-related term that includes a state name: the Maryland T! Here's what sets it apart from other T intersections, as outlined in bold:

QuoteBERLIN — Changes are being considered for the intersection of Route 818 and Route 50 in response to concerns from local officials.

Maryland State Highway Administration (SHA) officials said this week that potential improvements were being evaluated for the intersection of Route 818 and Route 50.

"District Engineer Mark Crampton and his staff have been in discussions with Mayor Tyndall, Sen. Carozza's office and other stakeholders about transportation options for improving the safety of all highway users and existing traffic conditions at the US 50 (Ocean Gateway)/MD 818 (Main Street) intersection in Berlin,"  SHA Media Relations Manager Shantee Felix said. "As a result of those conversations, we are working with our Office of Traffic Safety to address crashes that occur with left turning vehicles in that area."

While SHA offered no details about what those improvements might be, Berlin Councilman Jay Knerr said at Monday's Mayor and Council he had some concerns about the rendering that had been shared with municipal officials. Knerr said he was also approached by a Berlin property owner who was concerned about the design change.

The design would not allow motorists to cross Route 50 from one side of Route 818 to the other as they currently can. Drivers would, however, be able to turn left from Route 50 west onto Route 818 into Berlin. Drivers leaving Berlin on Route 818 would also be able to cross into the median to turn left onto Route 50 westbound.

"After looking at the design, there is a two-foot concrete low barrier that runs down the Route 50 westbound turn lane for a left hand turn onto Main St.,"  Knerr said. "This barrier goes down fairly far. Anyone coming off the 113 south bound off ramp on to westbound Route 50 can no longer make it into the Main Street breakdown lane. They will either have to continue west on 50 until they can make a U-turn or continue on southbound 113 and take old Ocean City Blvd."

Knerr believes that will put unnecessary traffic on the road.

"The simple solution is to put a stop sign at the end of the (Route 113) off ramp that would allow traffic to safely cross Route 50 and enter the Main Street breakdown lane,"  he said. "The off ramp may have to be adjusted slightly to accommodate this."

At this week's meeting, Mayor Zack Tyndall said a letter of support for the concept was recently approved by the Mayor and Council and has been sent to the state, but he stressed the discussion is preliminary at this point.

"The Maryland T Project is something that was a preliminary discussion with the state that would go at the intersection of MD 818 and Route 50,"  he said. "The mayor and council did send a letter of support to the state. It's at a staff level review at this point. Everybody has seen that letter and approved that letter. That's been the extent of the discussion. They have asked that we not really make that widely public. "
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

sprjus4

It's not a new concept... It has been implemented elsewhere. A continuous green T or "seagull" . West Virginia and Maryland already have a number of them.

famartin

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 14, 2023, 10:04:13 PM
It's not a new concept... It has been implemented elsewhere. A continuous green T or "seagull" . West Virginia and Maryland already have a number of them.

Was about to say, this seems common on US 301 in MD.

epzik8

Quote from: famartin on April 14, 2023, 11:57:45 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on April 14, 2023, 10:04:13 PM

Was about to say, this seems common on US 301 in MD.

I'm all too familiar with the one on the Bel Air Bypass on US 1.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

roadwaywiz95

In preparation for the upcoming Harford County, MD Road Meet to be held on Saturday, May 6, my next installment in the "Virtual Tour" series is scheduled to take place on Saturday (4/22) at 6 PM ET. Come join me and members of the AARoads community as we profile US Highways 1 & 40 across Harford County, MD and discuss the history and features of these highways all while enjoying a real-time virtual video trip along their lengths within the county.

A link to the event location can be found below and we look forward to seeing you in attendance:

Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

vdeane

What is the alignment of MD 2 between I-95 and US 40?  About the only thing that TM has nailed down is that it follows Hanover Street at I-95 and Light Street from Key Highway to the St. Paul-Calvert one-way pair.  OSM has it follow Montgomery Street northbound and Lee/Charles/Hughes southbound, but the southbound alignment appears to contradict TM.  Signage is non-existent in either direction.  Does anyone know more definitely where it goes?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

74/171FAN

Quote from: vdeane on April 23, 2023, 04:11:12 PM
What is the alignment of MD 2 between I-95 and US 40?  About the only thing that TM has nailed down is that it follows Hanover Street at I-95 and Light Street from Key Highway to the St. Paul-Calvert one-way pair.  OSM has it follow Montgomery Street northbound and Lee/Charles/Hughes southbound, but the southbound alignment appears to contradict TM.  Signage is non-existent in either direction.  Does anyone know more definitely where it goes?

The latest HLR definitely shows MD 2 NB going Hanover to Montgomery to Light
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

dlsterner

Quote from: vdeane on April 23, 2023, 04:11:12 PM

I used to drive that stretch of MD 2 several times a week back in the 1980's and 1990's, so I thought this should be easy to answer.  Turns out not as easy as I thought.

I believe TM does not take one-way routings into consideration, just waypoints.  So a one-way pair would be drawn as an "average" of the two (I think).  So I would tend to discount TM if there is a discrepancy.

As far as I remember, northbound has always been:  Hanover -> Montgomery (one-way) -> Light

Southbound, memory is a little fuzzier (maybe 90% sure).  I believe it was Light -> Lee (one-way) -> Charles -> Hughes (one-way) -> Hanover.  But I seem to recall it being somewhat poorly marked (but at least marked) as opposed to non-existent marking like GSM now shows.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.