News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Toll Lanes on US 69 in Overland Park

Started by Ned Weasel, February 15, 2020, 11:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: fhmiii on September 19, 2023, 12:42:27 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on September 18, 2023, 06:34:32 PM
I don't understand why more areas, such as Atlanta, don't use the flex posts between lanes to prevent lane changes - or at least discourage them.

That may also be why people go 40 mph alongside stopped traffic instead of 70 mph... because someone might jump into the lane illegally.

The flex posts would provide more of a barrier and encourage faster driving.

Then you're discouraging revenue generation:  $100 to $250 fines.
At the cost of safety.

fhmiii

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 19, 2023, 08:28:01 PM
Quote from: fhmiii on September 19, 2023, 12:42:27 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on September 18, 2023, 06:34:32 PM
I don't understand why more areas, such as Atlanta, don't use the flex posts between lanes to prevent lane changes - or at least discourage them.

That may also be why people go 40 mph alongside stopped traffic instead of 70 mph... because someone might jump into the lane illegally.

The flex posts would provide more of a barrier and encourage faster driving.

Then you're discouraging revenue generation:  $100 to $250 fines.
At the cost of safety.

<sarcasm>It's amusing that you think safety is a consideration for government.</sarcasm>

In all seriousness, I really do think that some governments believe that most people will follow the rules and not cross the double-white lines; and that the risk of the few people who will cross them is outweighed by the potential revenue from fines.

Sani

Looks like HOT lanes are off the menu for K-10 west of I-435. From the Johnson County Post:

QuoteK-10 express toll lanes no longer in the cards in Lenexa, Olathe

The Kansas Department of Transportation is no longer considering express toll lanes as a potential solution to K-10 congestion and safety issues in Johnson County.

On Tuesday, Cameron McGowan, the project manager for the K-10 corridor improvements study from engineering firm HNTB, told the Olathe City Council that express toll lanes wouldn't "manage congestion" enough long-term to justify adding them.

Still, McGowan said state transportation officials are exploring other strategies to address long-standing issues on the highway, which has grown increasingly busier in recent years.

About 17.5 miles of K-10 run through Johnson County, primarily through De Soto, Olathe and Lenexa. Local and state officials have long said the highway and the surrounding traffic corridor are in need of serious improvements, repeating time and again concerns about traffic flow and safety.

KDOT sees a number of problems on K-10

K-10 itself has a number of major sharp curves on it, particularly as you get close to where I-435 and K-10 merge in Lenexa. Daily traffic counts on the highway are high, as well: KDOT has estimated there are about 80,000 cars each day traveling K-10 east of Cedar Creek Parkway in Olathe. Infrastructure — including bridges — is also outdated or insufficient in some areas, officials say.

K-10 work has been a hot topic over the years

Past studies of the area and other improvement plans — including a big chunk of the 2011 "Johnson County Gateway" project plan — have failed to amount to meaningful change.

Express toll lanes were first floated publicly as a potential element of long-planned K-10 improvements last fall in a similar presentation to the Olathe City Council.

Last year, McGowan said express tolls could potentially be added going both ways between Cedar Creek Parkway in Olathe and where K-10 terminates at I-435, though details beyond what that might have looked like were sparse.

KDOT considering new K-10 interchanges, overpasses

KDOT's emphasis for K-10 right now is on more focused improvements, like where interchanges or overpasses could be added along K-10. For instance, McGowan said Tuesday that the department is mulling a possible overpass at Clare Road in Olathe and a diamond interchange or overpass at Lone Elm Road. KDOT is also looking at ways to address the harsh curve at K-10 and I-435 and possibly add more regular traffic lanes to K-10 between I-435 and K-7.

"This is our starting point," McGowan said Tuesday.

Next steps

No decisions have been made about what projects to improve K-10 will be done and when. More than likely, McGowan said, any work will be divided over the next couple of decades. In the meantime, KDOT intends to give more public presentations and keep open a survey for residents. Later, public meetings are planned for April and over the summer to continue discussions.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.