AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: West Virginia  (Read 78947 times)

seicer

• Last Login: Today at 06:45:56 PM
    • Bridges & Tunnels
Re: West Virginia
« Reply #450 on: January 17, 2023, 12:51:43 PM »

I always thought they were novel and active until I walked up to see them a few years back. I hadn't realized they were closed off and just walked right in (the padlocks had long been cut). It smelled to high heaven of urine, and there was evidence of people sleeping there. The highway is looking a little long in the tooth so this should help alleviate some of the visual issues. I hope they can get around to rehabbing the pavement soon, too.

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 01:54:12 PM
« Reply #451 on: January 17, 2023, 06:52:10 PM »

WV is an aging state demographically and I wonder how many seniors it would force off the roads. WV isn't like Ohio and many other states where one can often take the U.S. or former U.S. route that parallels the interstate without adding hours and hours to the trip. 70 is manageable for many seniors but 80 is pushing it.

"Things said about ending 55, then 65, but were dead wrong." ??

Actually, the only parts of the WV interstate system that should not be at least 80 are the mis-designed northern third of the Turnpike, a short urban section through Charleston and a yet shorter section through Wheeling.  Corridors, which most also need a large amount of stop light removal, could almost all go to 70 or 75.
The corridors were actually authorized for 70 mph previously, but was then removed because it wouldn’t be “practical” or “safe”. I haven’t driven a lot of the corridors, but I do remember US-19 between I-77 and I-79 last year, and most of the road could easily a posted speed limit of 70 mph, especially if some of the signals were removed.

As far as the 80 mph interstate speed limit… I do recall I-79 being a quite curvy route the last couple times I drove on it… many of the curves could not safely be taken above 70 or 75 mph in a large vehicle… I was maintaining 75-80 mph and a lot of the curves were decently sharp… I couldn’t see them making 80 mph the speed limit, unless they posted curve advisories for 65 or 70 mph every couple miles.

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: Today at 10:47:54 AM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #452 on: January 17, 2023, 07:32:44 PM »

Corridors D (US 50), H (US 48), L (US 19) and that portion of Q (US 460) east of I-77, can easily be driven at 70 mph without issue. Most of Corridor G (US 119), not so much.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.