News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 05, 2017, 01:09:20 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 05, 2017, 01:04:59 PMOther costs may have increased, such as potentially needing "End x95, Begin x95" signage in both directions at the 295/695 dividing line.
Such could be done by simply placing I-695 shields over the I-95 shields on the existing END/BEGIN signs that are there today.

That could be done in numerous areas, but like I said this appears to be a full and complete sign replacement program, not just modifications.  Even regulatory and advisory signs are going to be replaced throughout the project area as well, per the bidding results.

storm2k

Curiosity question. As many know, Somerset County used to use a bit of a unique scheme for their county shield assemblies, where the shields themselves were white on blue with black on white arrows/cardinals. My whole childhood growing up this is how they signed stuff. Lately, most replacements are in the standard gold on blue for both shields and arrows/cardinals, with a few exceptions. When did they abandon the Somerset County signature style?

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on October 06, 2017, 04:06:49 PM
Curiosity question. As many know, Somerset County used to use a bit of a unique scheme for their county shield assemblies, where the shields themselves were white on blue with black on white arrows/cardinals. My whole childhood growing up this is how they signed stuff. Lately, most replacements are in the standard gold on blue for both shields and arrows/cardinals, with a few exceptions. When did they abandon the Somerset County signature style?
I started seeing the modern style in the mid 2000s, so right around the time all the other counties started signing everything (Essex in particular). Must have been a wave of state money.

_Simon

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 05, 2017, 11:56:22 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 05, 2017, 11:46:59 AM
New Jersey's portion of 'completing I-95' will cost them $1,188,833.  This is for the signing work that'll modify or replace the existing signage, generally along NJ's existing portion of I-95 from the Delaware River to US 1.

The work is scheduled to be completed by June, 2018.

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/business/procurement/ConstrServ/documents/BidTabs17137.pdf
I wonder what the cost difference would be had this stretch been redesignated as I-695 instead of an extension of I-295?  The former scenario would've kept the mile markers & interchange numbers between the Scudder Falls Bridge & the US 1 interchange as is.
I believe in a future where millage can go into the negatives without people committing suicide and driving off cliffs.  No millage should ever need to be changed, we have infinite numbers in both directions.  People aren't as stupid as we think.  Negative numbers transcend all languages.  Sorry just ranting.

SM-G955U

Alps

Quote from: _Simon on October 06, 2017, 06:26:35 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on October 05, 2017, 11:56:22 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 05, 2017, 11:46:59 AM
New Jersey's portion of 'completing I-95' will cost them $1,188,833.  This is for the signing work that'll modify or replace the existing signage, generally along NJ's existing portion of I-95 from the Delaware River to US 1.

The work is scheduled to be completed by June, 2018.

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/business/procurement/ConstrServ/documents/BidTabs17137.pdf
I wonder what the cost difference would be had this stretch been redesignated as I-695 instead of an extension of I-295?  The former scenario would've kept the mile markers & interchange numbers between the Scudder Falls Bridge & the US 1 interchange as is.
I believe in a future where millage can go into the negatives without people committing suicide and driving off cliffs.  No millage should ever need to be changed, we have infinite numbers in both directions.  People aren't as stupid as we think.  Negative numbers transcend all languages.  Sorry just ranting.

SM-G955U

NJ doesn't use millages to build its roads.

_Simon

This is on US 46.  Wtf is SR 200?!

SM-G955U

NJRoadfan

I didn't know US-47 went thru South Jersey.

http://www.capemaycountyherald.com/news/traffic/article_a3a1e68e-b41b-11e7-9ebd-830843c0a380.html

Yet another article on finishing NJ-55.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: NJRoadfan on October 21, 2017, 09:17:17 PM

http://www.capemaycountyherald.com/news/traffic/article_a3a1e68e-b41b-11e7-9ebd-830843c0a380.html

Not only went through, but begins there (which the actual NJ Route 47 doesn't either)

Roadsguy

At least there's still a quark's worth of hope of finishing it, unlike a certain other northeast state with a certain half-built expressway that was recently canceled for good.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Alps

Quote from: _Simon on October 21, 2017, 02:28:19 PM
This is on US 46.  Wtf is SR 200?!
I'm turning up a complete blank on this, even related to this project. There was an SR 200 signed once upon a time but it ran from Oakland to Alpine.

NE2

Probably a typo for 206.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NE2 on October 22, 2017, 09:12:29 PM
Probably a typo for 206.

SR 200 instead of US 206?  They only got 2 out of 5 characters correct?

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on October 22, 2017, 09:12:29 PM
Probably a typo for 206.
Why even sign that? If you're going from 46 to 206 north, the detour wouldn't be way out by Naughright Rd. If you're going from 46 to 206 south, why ever go all the way to Netcong? That traffic should already be filtering through these back roads.

cl94

If you're going to 206 north from that area, you'd use Waterloo Rd back in Hackettstown and various back roads for 206 south. What the hell is that sign even for?
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadman65

Looks like the right shield is beyond this crazy assembly.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

The FY18 NJ TIP was recently published and the opportunity for public comment occurred, mostly during September.  The public comments have been published, and while originally they was a decent list of them, all I can find now is this clickable link that shows the areas of projects and the comments for such: 

https://www.dvrpc.org/asp/TIPSearch/2018/NJ/

I can tell you that of the 120 or so comments, nearly half of them were directed in favor of the South Jersey Light Rail line.  Most of the comments were generic, with a single sentence or two saying how much the region needs the line and that they support this project.  Many, from what I gather, aren't even within DVRPC's region and would never ride the line if it was ever built.  For what it's worth, the project is currently unfunded except for a few million dollars for various prelim work, and neither NJ Transit or the DRPA appears to be interested in the project.

I submitted several comments; some related to road projects within the TIP; others were suggestion for projects not listed.  Most of my comments, along with many others, were responded with "Your comment has been submitted to NJDOT for review", which means they'll probably never see the light of day again.

The DVRPC meets this morning to basically rubberstamp its approval of the comments.

BrianP

Burlington County OKs massive Route 530 project
QuoteThe Burlington County Board of Freeholders approved a nearly $20 million contract with Green Construction Inc. of South River on Wednesday night to widen almost three miles of Route 530 from state highway Route 206 in Southampton and through Pemberton Township to Hanover Street in Pemberton Borough.
QuoteThe project has been a complicated one that has taken more than two decades of planning, financing and other preparation. It involved either purchase or condemnation of nearly 90 residential, farm, and business properties on both sides of the roadway and  total reconstruction of the Hanover Street intersection, which was completed in 2015.

bzakharin

Quote from: BrianP on November 06, 2017, 01:46:15 PM
Burlington County OKs massive Route 530 project
QuoteThe Burlington County Board of Freeholders approved a nearly $20 million contract with Green Construction Inc. of South River on Wednesday night to widen almost three miles of Route 530 from state highway Route 206 in Southampton and through Pemberton Township to Hanover Street in Pemberton Borough.
QuoteThe project has been a complicated one that has taken more than two decades of planning, financing and other preparation. It involved either purchase or condemnation of nearly 90 residential, farm, and business properties on both sides of the roadway and  total reconstruction of the Hanover Street intersection, which was completed in 2015.
State Highway Route 206? First of all we haven't had that designation for like 50 years now. Second, it's a US route. Third, the other routes (530 and 38) are correctly identified as county and state route respectively.

roadman65

If US 206 got demoted to State route status, it would not even be noticeable as everything is "route" to NJ residents even I-80 is Route 80.  Anyway, considering that the designation is an AASHTO violation it should be done ideally.  Even some on here would love to see US 46, US 130, and even US 202 (although it is over the minimum miles a US route can be, but useless) all go including US 192 in FL, US 175 and US 57 in TX among many.

I would not mind seeing US 206 be NJ 206 if it happened.  Plus US 130 should really be a northern extension of US 301 as ending at US 1 in North Brunswick would really make it a better child.  Considering US 301 originally ended in Baltimore and US 130 to where it ends now was an afterthought, that was never an option in the numbering then, but would have US 301 did reach the Delmarva.

Sheryl Crowe

ekt8750

Quote from: roadman65 on November 24, 2017, 07:11:24 PM
If US 206 got demoted to State route status, it would not even be noticeable as everything is "route" to NJ residents even I-80 is Route 80.  Anyway, considering that the designation is an AASHTO violation it should be done ideally.  Even some on here would love to see US 46, US 130, and even US 202 (although it is over the minimum miles a US route can be, but useless) all go including US 192 in FL, US 175 and US 57 in TX among many.

I would not mind seeing US 206 be NJ 206 if it happened.  Plus US 130 should really be a northern extension of US 301 as ending at US 1 in North Brunswick would really make it a better child.  Considering US 301 originally ended in Baltimore and US 130 to where it ends now was an afterthought, that was never an option in the numbering then, but would have US 301 did reach the Delmarva.

How would you get 301 to the Delaware Memorial though? Any route you'd pick would involve a some sort of concurrency which would make it hard for the AASHTO to approve being that they seem to be against any new US Route concurrencies. I guess the most direct route would be to continue up US 13 at St Georges to I-295. Once you get to Bear US 40 comes in and you'd have yourself a nice three US Route concurrency going which isn't unheard of. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ekt8750 on November 25, 2017, 03:48:41 PM

How would you get 301 to the Delaware Memorial though? Any route you'd pick would involve a some sort of concurrency which would make it hard for the AASHTO to approve being that they seem to be against any new US Route concurrencies. I guess the most direct route would be to continue up US 13 at St Georges to I-295. Once you get to Bear US 40 comes in and you'd have yourself a nice three US Route concurrency going which isn't unheard of. 

Or 301 to US 40, concurrent with 40 all the way into NJ, still giving the 13/40/301 concurrency, then the 295/40/301 concurrency.

Quote from: bzakharin on November 06, 2017, 02:30:16 PM
State Highway Route 206? First of all we haven't had that designation for like 50 years now. Second, it's a US route. Third, the other routes (530 and 38) are correctly identified as county and state route respectively.

I'm surprised they even got that correct.

Mr. Matté

I guess it's been a long time since I've biked through BurlCo, a lot of their county roads now have the centerline rumble strips as seen rolled out on the undivided state highway system. However, they must be shallower as they're definitely not as loud as the state highway ones when cars were passing me. Probably designed so as not to rattle the residents like the one in East Amwell along Route 29. So far none were placed in the shoulder, kudos to Burlington County for that (unlike you, Route 12).

Here's an article describing the contract issuance in May: http://www.burlingtoncountytimes.com/36870810-3679-11e7-a03b-f35f7333deb5.html

roadman65

Quote from: ekt8750 on November 25, 2017, 03:48:41 PM

For several years US 301 was concurrent with both US 13 and US 40 to Farnhurst and had its terminus at I-295.  So my suggestion was to put it back and route it across the bridge from there to reach US 130.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Looks like NJ wants to redo this intersection.  They take all the fun out of driving!  https://goo.gl/maps/sfdNKj5MthQ2

The description summary of what they want to do: http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/community/meetings/documents/handout112917.pdf

Pete from Boston

Seen elsewhere on the internet with no particularly good context: supposedly 1939, "near Newark."  This could conceivably be anywhere in North Jersey.  Anyone recognize this spot, 78 years later?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.