Amazon Prime - what shipping carriers does Amazon use for your orders?

Started by Pink Jazz, January 31, 2017, 11:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

Yes corco, I know I have posted this in other forums (no need to link to them), however, for the Amazon Prime customers here at AARoads, I would like to know what shipping carriers Amazon uses for most of your Prime orders.

For me, the vast majority come using the hybrid Amazon+USPS service (which show as USPS on Amazon's tracking page), where Amazon transports the item to my local post office and the USPS makes the last mile delivery.  We do get occasional UPS and OnTrac as well, with UPS often for heavier items and OnTrac for items that get shipped at the last minute to meet the two day delivery window. However, we never get FedEx for any Prime orders.  We haven't yet gotten Amazon (the white Amazon vans) Logistics all the way to our house for our own orders, however, we have gotten them when buying items for some friends who live in more central locations in the Valley.

What does Amazon use for your Prime orders?

jeffandnicole

Not that we order too much, but it appears USPS is who we generally get our Prime orders from.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 31, 2017, 11:16:31 AM
Not that we order too much, but it appears USPS is who we generally get our Prime orders from.

Note that many Prime orders that show as "USPS" on Amazon's tracking page are actually a hybrid Amazon+USPS shipping service, where Amazon transports the package to a local post office and the USPS makes the last mile delivery.  When you track the package on the USPS website, it shows that the package is with a "shipping partner" until the package arrives at the post office.  This is similar in operations to FedEx SmartPost and UPS SurePost/Mail Innovations, however, it is handled by Amazon themselves and is much quicker.

coatimundi

We use it all the time, and it's been USPS for smaller items and then UPS for larger.

UPS has a relationship with USPS to carry its smaller packages. I actually worked on a management system for that years ago.

SP Cook

I find no rhyme nor reason to the subject.  Packages seem to come from USPS, UPS, and Fed Ex Ground in a mixture which seems to have no pattern.  Also note the "hybrid" system where (generally) UPS delivers it to the nearest USPS sortation facility for final delivery.  Also certain items are shipped directly from China via China Post, with labels in English and Chinese.  This is generally bad service as the packages often take weeks to show up, but you cannot tell until just before you check out when the delivery date will be weeks away.  Have also received packages direct from Canada and the UK on occasion, also a semingly random mix of carriers, including the Royal Mail or Canada Post via the UPU.

doorknob60

In Meridian, I'd say 2/3 of the time it's the hybrid Amazon/USPS thing, and 1/3 of the time UPS. It seems like when they originate from Seattle area it's the USPS hybrid, and other places it's UPS. Don't know how consistent that is. When I lived in Nampa though, it was pretty much all UPS. Maybe just a coincidence (timing), or not. I can't think of the last time I've got FedEx or OnTrac from Amazon, but it can happen.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: doorknob60 on January 31, 2017, 01:13:00 PM
In Meridian, I'd say 2/3 of the time it's the hybrid Amazon/USPS thing, and 1/3 of the time UPS. It seems like when they originate from Seattle area it's the USPS hybrid, and other places it's UPS. Don't know how consistent that is. When I lived in Nampa though, it was pretty much all UPS. Maybe just a coincidence (timing), or not. I can't think of the last time I've got FedEx or OnTrac from Amazon, but it can happen.

We do in fact get FedEx for the majority of merchant-fulfilled (non-Prime) orders.  My guess the reason why FedEx isn't used much for Prime shipping is because the USPS and UPS simply gave Amazon better pricing. The vast majority of Prime items are either sold or fulfilled by Amazon; the merchant-fulfilled Prime program is still in its infancy and is by invitation to certain sellers only.

jakeroot

While working at my hotel the other day, I saw an Amazon-branded Ford Transit deliver a package. Might have been one of those same-day deliveries.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: jakeroot on January 31, 2017, 02:15:10 PM
While working at my hotel the other day, I saw an Amazon-branded Ford Transit deliver a package. Might have been one of those same-day deliveries.

That is Amazon Logistics.  They are found in some major cities with local fulfillment centers.  I have seen them here in the Phoenix area, although they don't seem to serve our neighborhood, which is probably why the USPS does the last mile delivery for most of our Prime items.

jakeroot

^^^

Even though you asked him not to post those links, Pink Jazz, there's only so many carriers in this country. Judging by the combined seven pages of responses in those other forums, I would have expected that you could have come to a conclusion by now (since Prime users are the same on every forum).

Pink Jazz

^

However, more specifically it seems to vary by region.  Whatever carrier Amazon uses in one city they may use someone else in a different city.

And are there really any other users here who are members of City-Data and/or Anandtech?

vdeane

They always used UPS when I was a member, but that was a year or two ago.  I used it mainly for the video streaming, so I dropped it when they dropped Doctor Who; the free two day shipping was just a bonus for me.  Honestly, I don't buy anything except Kindle books and MP3s from Amazon any more anyways, since I don't like how they're making some products Prime exclusives.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ET21

Working as a package handler with UPS at the moment, we get a TON of Amazon (my truck alone during a day could see anywhere between 1000 and 1500 Amazons). From what I've learned so far, UPS tends to deliver the packages to the city or UPS hub and then transfers them to the local handlers (USPS or other shippers). If the package is a certain size or weight, then it is handled by a UPS truck.

Amazon is slowly building it's own fleet of delivery drivers, so some under-served areas may see this more than UPS or FedEx.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Scott5114

They stuff my packages in a cinder block and throw it through the window.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

spooky

Pink Jazz

FYI, for a recent Prime order we decided to go with one-day shipping due to the immediate need for an item my mom wants since she needs it for a party tonight, and for the very first time we got a Prime item shipped using FedEx (specifically FedEx Express Priority Overnight).  Perhaps Amazon uses FedEx more for one-day Prime shipments rather than two-day.

vdeane

Does Amazon give a discount to Prime members choosing one day shipping?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

lordsutch

Quote from: vdeane on February 11, 2017, 06:11:17 PM
Does Amazon give a discount to Prime members choosing one day shipping?

One-day shipping for Prime members is usually $3.99/item, although large/heavy items may be more.

US71

Speaking of Amazon, beginning March 1st they will be collecting sales tax for Arkansas.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Scott5114

Quote from: US71 on February 12, 2017, 07:21:26 PM
Speaking of Amazon, beginning March 1st they will be collecting sales tax for Arkansas.

Oklahoma as well. OK has been making a huge stink about online sites bypassing sales tax collection. I feel like that indicates that the concept of sales taxes is out of date for 21st century commerce, but that's out of the remit of this forum...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

Is Amazon building distribution centers in those states?  When Amazon started collecting Sales Tax in NJ, it was because they had a 'physical presence'...which was in the form of a new distribution center.

BTW, yesterday (Sunday), I saw an Amazon package delivered via plain white rental van across the street.  Driver put the package at the door and walked back to the van.  Didn't even bother knocking.

US71

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 13, 2017, 06:14:34 AM
Is Amazon building distribution centers in those states?  When Amazon started collecting Sales Tax in NJ, it was because they had a 'physical presence'...which was in the form of a new distribution center.

BTW, yesterday (Sunday), I saw an Amazon package delivered via plain white rental van across the street.  Driver put the package at the door and walked back to the van.  Didn't even bother knocking.

The states are desperate for tax revenue.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jeffandnicole

Quote from: US71 on February 13, 2017, 10:22:38 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 13, 2017, 06:14:34 AM

The states are desperate for tax revenue.

Right...but there is a reason why Amazon is suddenly going to charge sales tax for those two states, and deal with all the related accounting of such.  It's not because they're doing it out of the kindness of their hearts.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.