News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Double-posting

Started by webny99, January 13, 2018, 02:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Since I've been admonished for this recently, I thought I'd ask. Are there any circumstances in which it's acceptable to post twice in the same thread in succession?

Personally, I like to keep separate conversations separate, and reduce excessive quoting (since some of us don't seem to know how to edit/reduce quotes  :poke:). Where's the happy-medium?

Roadgeekteen

Try editing your post.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Alps

I will keep everything in the same post if it's one topic/conversation thread. I will post twice if there are two distinct conversations in the thread.

PatTheSplasher

Post once, and once only. PM the rest. If you need to have a separate conversation than do an hr.

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 13, 2018, 03:20:37 PM
Try editing your post.
Obviously, I know how to edit  :rolleyes:
I also know how to edit quotes to shorten them, something you should learn how to do.

Quote from: PatTheSplasher on January 13, 2018, 04:29:15 PM
Post once, and once only. PM the rest. If you need to have a separate conversation than do an hr.
Quite authoritative for only having been here two days  :D Not that you're wrong, but dishing out commands isn't the best of ideas.

Quote from: Alps on January 13, 2018, 03:57:12 PM
I will keep everything in the same post if it's one topic/conversation thread. I will post twice if there are two distinct conversations in the thread.

Generally, I try to do the same, but the line of "distinct" gets a little fuzzy at times, especially when both conversations are related to the original topic.

PatTheSplasher

Where did you double-post even?

froggie

QuoteAre there any circumstances in which it's acceptable to post twice in the same thread in succession?

In short succession, no.  If it's been several hours or even a few days, perhaps, but even then the preference is to edit your last post unless there's a significant bit of new content to add to the thread.  Where it becomes more acceptable is if it's been several days since the last post in a given thread, and you happened to have the last post.

webny99

Quote from: PatTheSplasher on January 13, 2018, 05:39:20 PM
Where did you double-post even?

I've double posted quite a few times. SSOWorld (an admin) merged the posts on the last two occurences, which is fine with me, obviously. One instance was in "Clinching counties!", reply 72.

Quote from: froggie on January 13, 2018, 05:41:49 PM
In short succession, no.  If it's been several hours or even a few days, perhaps, but even then the preference is to edit your last post unless there's a significant bit of new content to add to the thread.  Where it becomes more acceptable is if it's been several days since the last post in a given thread, and you happened to have the last post.

Right, because if you're reviving an old thread, you're probably discussing something new. And it requires a new post (not an edit) to bring the topic back into circulation, so to speak.

I was thinking of cases where there are multiple conversations going on, and you want to quote, say, three or more different users.

1995hoo

Quote from: froggie on January 13, 2018, 05:41:49 PM
QuoteAre there any circumstances in which it's acceptable to post twice in the same thread in succession?

The rule of thumb I've used in the "been a few days and I had the last post" situation is that if what I want to say is closely related to the previous post, I'll edit the previous post, usually by adding the material to the end with "Edited several days later to add:" or some similar notation. If the material is not closely related to the previous post, I'll make a new post. Obviously this sort of thing will vary depending on the sort of thread. Broad-based threads, such as "Virginia," will obviously lend themselves much more to a post on a different matter than would be the case in narrower threads, such as the off-topic board thread about the highest you've been inside a building or structure.

The moderators have never admonished me about double-posting, so I presume this sort of approach is reasonable.

In other words, I don't think there's a bright-line rule that double-posting is never appropriate, though I do think it's clear that it's definitely not always appropriate.

Quote from: webny99 on January 13, 2018, 06:20:31 PM

I was thinking of cases where there are multiple conversations going on, and you want to quote, say, three or more different users.

If I want to reply to multiple users in one post, I usually use the "hr" tag (between brackets, of course) to insert a horizontal line to provide a visual break, as I've done in this post to help separate my comment about froggie's points from my reply to you. This is what the final point in PatTheSplasher's comment was suggesting, but given the tone of that post and the way the comment was phrased I can understand why it might not have been clear.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

^ Of course, in this case, your reply to Froggie was meant mostly for my benefit anyways  :-D
But I see your point, and I gather that, in general, editing (or just using "insert quote") is usually preferred. I'm OK with that, as long as everyone else is OK with editing out the irrelevant portions of my response when they reply. (I already admonished RGT upthread for not doing this.)

And, yes, I knew what Pat meant by hr, just chose to respond to the more surprising aspect of his/her post  :D

adventurernumber1

It does depend on the situation. I usually put all my quotations into one post unless it is more than three or so. 1995hoo's suggestion is even better, but what I usually do is separate two distinct conversations with two or three spaces (and typically one space between a quotation and the reply directly to it). I like doing this post-organization technique to make more coherent posts and such (doing different spacings at different locations). However, usually, if I have more than three quotations I am replying to, I will create more than one consecutive post, because then it may start to be getting quite long. I definitely would think that bumping a thread (with significant information or new material, of course, not just something stupid and insignificant, or to say that you bumped the thread) would justify a consecutive post, if that same person had the last post in that thread before the bump. Another thing, is, if you are creating a very large OP in a thread (like I did yesterday), it is probably recommended to make several consecutive individual posts, especially if you are posting a large amount of pictures (like me). In my thread example, it looks like I created 5 separate consecutive posts for the OP (original post). The first was an introduction and a lot of historical information. Posts 2, 3, and 4 were for displaying all of the photos - with each post having 10 pictures each, following the Forum Guidelines. The 5th post had two extra pictures, and the conclusion and all of my references and such.

So yes, it completely depends on the situation. Sometimes it is perfectly fine to have consecutive posts, but in other situations, that is not the case, and the moderators may merge your posts. So just pay attention to the situation, and you'll be good.

;-)   :thumbsup:

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on January 13, 2018, 06:49:51 PM
^ Of course, in this case, your reply to Froggie was meant mostly for my benefit anyways  :-D
But I see your point, and I gather that, in general, editing (or just using "insert quote") is usually preferred. I'm OK with that, as long as everyone else is OK with editing out the irrelevant portions of my response when they reply. (I already admonished RGT upthread for not doing this.)

And, yes, I knew what Pat meant by hr, just chose to respond to the more surprising aspect of his/her post  :D

I didn't realize at the time that PatTheSplasher was a Marf sockpuppet!

Anyway, the one thought I have as to editing the quotes is that on the one hand, it's damn annoying when there is a long string of nested quotes, but on the other hand, it can also be a pain in the arse to edit the quotes when posting via mobile device (not just a phone, either; editing the quotes on an iPad can be difficult, due mainly to the peculiar lack of arrow keys).

Second edit: BTW, regarding my "reply to froggie," notice how my prior post referred to it as "my comment about froggie's points" because, as you correctly note, I wasn't really replying to him per se.

Edited to add: Thanks to whichever moderator put this back here. I tried to post it here and it wound up in Marf's troll threads. Not sure what happened.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 13, 2018, 07:02:57 PM
Edited to add: Thanks to whichever moderator put this back here. I tried to post it here and it wound up in Marf's troll threads. Not sure what happened.

Yeah, I was working on splitting the topic and you just happened to post this right as I split the 'garbage' part out.

Takumi

That was...interesting.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 13, 2018, 07:02:57 PM
I didn't realize at the time that PatTheSplasher was a Marf sockpuppet!
Quote from: Takumi on January 13, 2018, 07:20:54 PM
That was...interesting.

Oh my! What did I miss?  :wow:
When I re-logged in, I had a new PM from Pat (similar, if not verbatim, to his current profile message) which was... shocking, to say the least. I thought something was a little strange about Pat, so I saw all this and all the pieces started falling into place! How did he get found out? (I assume the "garbage posts" mentioned above are related in some way?)

QuoteAnyway, the one thought I have as to editing the quotes is that on the one hand, it's damn annoying when there is a long string of nested quotes, but on the other hand, it can also be a pain in the arse to edit the quotes when posting via mobile device (not just a phone, either; editing the quotes on an iPad can be difficult, due mainly to the peculiar lack of arrow keys).

Totally agree here that there's no easy win-win. When using a computer, I always highlight>backspace, but with a phone it's painfully nitpicky and time consuming. For that reason, I do try to use a computer when possible.

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on January 13, 2018, 08:05:03 PM
When I re-logged in, I had a new PM from Pat (similar, if not verbatim, to his current profile message) which was... shocking, to say the least. I thought something was a little strange about Pat, so I saw all this and all the pieces started falling into place! How did he get found out? (I assume the "garbage posts" mentioned above are related in some way?)

He created about 10 threads that all had the exact same content, revealing that Pat was Marf, and that he was a troll since he was 6 years old, and that he has his own long term abuse page on Wikipedia. (You have to be really dedicated to get on that list.)

I'm calling today, 1/13/18, the Day of Chaos.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

adventurernumber1

Quote from: 1 on January 13, 2018, 08:07:50 PM

He created about 10 threads that all had the exact same content, revealing that Pat was Marf, and that he was a troll since he was 6 years old, and that he has his own long term abuse page on Wikipedia. (You have to be really dedicated to get on that list.)

Whoa. Part of that, I did not realize until now. I thought he just had unfavorable behavior that got him banned in all of these places. I didn't know that he was deliberately trolling us - that I did not catch. I also had no idea what a long term abuse page meant. Yikes!  :wow:

This stuff has indeed been crazy to say the least.  :-o  :crazy:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

webny99

Quote from: 1 on January 13, 2018, 08:07:50 PM

Holy crow! Guess he knew his time was short! Do you have a link to the Wikipedia page?
(I assume that his trolling on this forum only began last year with the Marf account?)

It's funny, upon reflection, that both Pat and Marf had been giving me commands like they owned the place. And that me, being a supposed troll, set the whole thing off :-D

I'm also curious why the mods allowed the Pat account. Of course they have no obligation to give us details, but I am very interested, given my unique role in the whole matter  :hmmm:

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

adventurernumber1

I have no idea what happened, but I'm guessing that Marf made it to where the other account was simply harder to detect that it was actually him. Pat was in the name, I think the age was 16 instead of 15, I think the location was Connecticut instead of Maine, and more.

I had no idea it was Marf at first (I genuinely thought it was a new member who was a completely different person, and I gave him a warm welcome as such), but looking back, there was a similar atmosphere that was being emitted from both accounts, so I guess now that we know the truth, it can't be too surprising.

1995hoo

Regarding what you missed, among other things, Marf–who was obviously given a ban yesterday that we know from other posts was a two-month ban–came back using another account named "Marf207" that had apparently been created some time ago; he asked whether he could use that account during his ban. Obviously, the moderators said "no," and I'm guessing he got a permanent ban as a result. So then this guy PatTheSplasher appeared. Initially he appeared harmless, but then he posted a thread on the "Welcome" side titled "Fuck you." That thread contained a post that he copied, verbatim, in a bunch of other threads, including this one, in which he said, in essence (this is paraphrased), "I know I'm banned permanently, so fuck you, I'm a Marf sockpuppet and I've been banned from these other sites [series of links]."

What got bizarre was that this thread got split apart when Marf posted the fuck-you post here. That's what I was getting at in my exchange with rickmast67 about a post being moved. 

webny99

Huh. Everything actually seems to add up, in a weird, and crazy, sort of way. I'm going to add a little salute to my profile "I survived Day of Chaos 2018" or something along those lines  :-P

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 13, 2018, 08:31:22 PM
I have no idea what happened, but I'm guessing that Marf made it to where the other account was simply harder to detect that it was actually him. Pat was in the name, I think the age was 16 instead of 15, I think the location was Connecticut instead of Maine, and more.

I had no idea it was Marf at first (I genuinely thought it was a new member who was a completely different person, and I gave him a warm welcome as such), but looking back, there was a similar atmosphere that was being emitted from both accounts, so I guess now that we know the truth, it can't be too surprising.

Same here. He actually did a decent job with PatTheSplasher, I thought a few things were weird, but just chalked it up to him being a newbie. All adds up now  :spin:

(Side note, so you don't think I'm ignoring you: I got your PM, but for some reason, I can't send PM's from my phone. If this persists, I'll contact one of the admin. Anyways, I will respond, in detail, when I have computer access, which may not be until Monday  :))

adventurernumber1

Quote from: webny99 on January 13, 2018, 09:29:27 PM
(Side note, so you don't think I'm ignoring you: I got your PM, but for some reason, I can't send PM's from my phone. If this persists, I'll contact one of the admin. Anyways, I will respond, in detail, when I have computer access, which may not be until Monday  :))

That's perfectly fine. I didn't think you were ignoring me, I just thought you had already gotten all of the information you needed.

All good.  :thumbsup:

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: webny99 on January 13, 2018, 02:13:15 PM
Since I've been admonished for this recently, I thought I'd ask. Are there any circumstances in which it's acceptable to post twice in the same thread in succession?
The times I do it is when it is a really long post and I need to divide it up for size or orginizational purposes.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Alps

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 14, 2018, 12:58:04 AM
Quote from: webny99 on January 13, 2018, 02:13:15 PM
The times I do it is when it is a really long post and I need to divide it up for size or orginizational purposes.
One comparison that may help: It's a "should" not, not a "shall" not. (MUTCD) If you have a legitimate reason to double post where it does not make sense to combine, we tend to let those slide.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.