News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Roadgeekteen

More hot weather in a school without ac.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 13, 2017, 02:02:10 PM

Most schools have a few rooms with AC, even if the majority of the building is not. These rooms are usually ones that have people working there over the summer, which are often the workplaces of the people in charge of the school. Auditoriums are also usually air conditioned. Does your school have a few air conditioned rooms, or none at all?
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

jakeroot

Quote from: 1 on June 13, 2017, 02:07:04 PM

Most schools have a few rooms with AC, even if the majority of the building is not. These rooms are usually ones that have people working there over the summer, which are often the workplaces of the people in charge of the school. Auditoriums are also usually air conditioned.

I'm stunned that a public facility out east wouldn't have AC. My elementary school in Seattle (max summer temp usually mid 70s, and usually a dry heat), built in the 60s and hardly upgraded since, has AC. I usually take for granted public facilities having some form of AC.

When was your school built, RGT?

cl94

Most schools in New York don't have A/C except in a few areas (auditorium, offices, cafeteria, etc.). The short time you need it during the school year doesn't justify the millions in cost to install it, especially if the school has steam or hot water heat and the district is struggling to pass a budget that funds the arts because funding keeps getting cut. New buildings (1990s or later) have it, but that is the exception.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

kkt

Heavy clouds with occasional mist.  Clouds so thick the streetlights were still on at 9 AM, even though sunrise was at 5.

MNHighwayMan

It's still quite hot here (90 right now.) Possible thunderstorms tonight, and almost for sure tomorrow afternoon. However, there should be (I'm hoping) enough time in between for me to take a short road trip tomorrow to get some pictures.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jakeroot on June 13, 2017, 03:49:58 PM
Quote from: 1 on June 13, 2017, 02:07:04 PM

Most schools have a few rooms with AC, even if the majority of the building is not. These rooms are usually ones that have people working there over the summer, which are often the workplaces of the people in charge of the school. Auditoriums are also usually air conditioned.

I'm stunned that a public facility out east wouldn't have AC. My elementary school in Seattle (max summer temp usually mid 70s, and usually a dry heat), built in the 60s and hardly upgraded since, has AC. I usually take for granted public facilities having some form of AC.

When was your school built, RGT?
1950s. Every other school besides two soon to be replaced elementary schools have ac. The mods, library, office, and a few classrooms have AC.

Roadgeekteen

About 20 degrees cooler toady.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 14, 2017, 08:58:43 AM

Same here for temperature, but not toady.
Clinched

New:
I-189 clinched

Rothman

I hate it when it's toady.  Much prefer froggy.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 14, 2017, 08:58:43 AM

I know you say you can't spell, but your problem seems to be proofreading (or, a lack thereof). I'm not perfect, mind you. But a quick glance over can avoid a thread taking a "grammar detour" (as has just happened here).

pumpkineater2

Phoenix is set to break some record high temperatures this week. Some sources are forecasting 121 F for Tuesday. :cool:
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: pumpkineater2 on June 17, 2017, 06:45:01 PM
Phoenix is set to break some record high temperatures this week. Some sources are forecasting 121 F for Tuesday. :cool:
What does it feel like to be in that sort of tempature?

jakeroot

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 17, 2017, 07:07:40 PM

Can't speak for an actual Phoenix resident, but in my experience in places like Vegas (also Desert Southwest), it's a pretty dry heat, so it doesn't feel as hot as you'd think it would. But that's not to say it's not hot. It's still fucking hot. But it's about as hot as it would be in Atlanta if it was 105 and super humid.

pumpkineater2

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 17, 2017, 07:07:40 PM

Opening the front door kinda feels like opening an oven to check cookies, but the heat isn't quite as extreme of course.

Places like stores are often air conditioned too well, so going outside after being in one for a while gives me the same sensation as stepping into a hot tub on a cold night. In other words, it feels GOOD! (IMO)

The worst part about the heat though is all the constant complaining about how hot it is. I really don't mind our heat.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

Roadgeekteen

7/8

On my way home from dropping off my friend in Waterloo, it started to rain really hard. It suddently stopped when I reached Ottawa St on the Expressway. When I got home, my parents were surprised when I told them it was pouring up in Waterloo. And sure enough, 10 minutes later, it started pouring at our house :-D

cl94

80 with 90% humidity at 11 AM. Very atypical for this area.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Roadgeekteen

Desert Man

The next 3 days the temperature will hit 120f (Palm Springs-Palm Desert), a heat wave in CA will make things uncomfy for the first day of Summer (Northern hemisphere). El Nino made the normally cool California ocean current warmer, so you have beaches in Orange County closed or be empty all weekend, due to numerous sightings of great white sharks from Hawaii.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Desert Man on June 20, 2017, 07:09:59 AM
the first day of Summer (Northern hemisphere)

Interestingly, today is the first day of summer for many people in the United States, but for those in the Eastern time zone, it's tomorrow.
Clinched

New:
I-189 clinched

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: 1 on June 20, 2017, 07:19:45 AM
Quote from: Desert Man on June 20, 2017, 07:09:59 AM
the first day of Summer (Northern hemisphere)

Interestingly, today is the first day of summer for many people in the United States, but for those in the Eastern time zone, it's tomorrow.

As well as in this side of the pond. Summer starts at 4:29 UTC on June 21.

At 8:00 a.m. EDT the temperature was 88. Supposedly a heat wave hit Spain in the last few days, they said Friday and Saturday would be the worst days... but Friday actually was cooler here.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Max Rockatansky

Its supposed to be 110-113F the next couple days where I live in the Californian Central Valley.  The trouble for me is that it is 75-80F in the morning when I do my distance running which is way too quick of a jump from 50-60F to have time to adapt which means I have to run shorter distances.  I'm waiting for having to deal with some sort of heat stroke case at work, I held a class yesterday and we'll see who's listening.  Also I keep telling people to turn the damn AC units up to at least 80F during the day but everyone keeps insisting on 72F which is leading clogs and failures.  Its almost like I didn't live in Phoenix for 13 years and have no clue what I'm talking about.

jakeroot

The Seattle area is looking at their first 90+ reading of the year this weekend. Doesn't look to have any connection to the SW heat wave occurring right now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.