News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off-Topic / Re: New Oklahoma City Skyscrap...
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 05:01:22 PM
Just as long as he doesn't manage to hoodwink the city out of TIF money with this nonsense.
Quote from: edwaleni on Today at 03:26:55 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on Today at 12:30:47 PMThe first time I drove on US 51 in Cairo about 5 years ago was driving through one of the most depressing communities I have ever encountered. Like Gary, Indiana depressing. I was fortunate to find a decent BBQ place (Shemwell's BBQ). It was the only restaurant I remember seeing open.

Shemwell's is alive and well and still serving up some great BBQ.

However, Cairo has no grocery store. None.

People have to drive to Mounds (north) or cross the bridge to Wickliffe (south) or rely on the 2 food pantry services in town.

There is actually a grocery store that opened about a year ago. It's called Rise Community Market and it is a co-op. https://risecommunitymarket.com/

I'm still hopeful that Cairo has some sort of future. There is a small, committed core of people who are trying. But the rot is so entrenched, it's hard to imagine the future extends out all that far.
Photos, Videos, and More / Re: flickr pages
Last post by CanesFan27 - Today at 04:48:56 PM
From last week -160 photos from Eastern NC - including I-587, Construction work on Future I-42 in Johnston County, I-40/Us 70/NC 540 Toll interchange construction.

Plus, brick roads, one lane bridges, and possibly the oldest road sign in North Carolina

https://www.flickr.com/photos/adamontheroad/albums/72177720316791510/
Suggestions and Questions / Re: Theme Change?
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 04:39:35 PM
Quote from: davewiecking on Today at 04:34:27 PMThe forum still displays words and sentences mostly in coherent English. I could care less what color various parts of it are.

Not sure which threads you've been reading...
Suggestions and Questions / Re: Theme Change?
Last post by davewiecking - Today at 04:34:27 PM
The forum still displays words and sentences mostly in coherent English. I could care less what color various parts of it are.
Off-Topic / Re: Random Thoughts
Last post by CoreySamson - Today at 04:33:02 PM
I feel that such a law would have easy loopholes. What counts as "using the property?" Stepping inside the door? Being in the property for a certain amount of time in a day? Using the building for its proper purpose (but then that goes into the weeds as to what "proper purpose" means)? Also, how would the government track that the building is being used or not? I could see privacy issues with that.

I think the idea is good in theory, but in practice I don't think it would work, and I think it could be abused.
I thought FEMA was moving Cairo residents uphill to New City, but Wikipedia is silent on that topic.
Traffic Control / Re: Unique, Odd, or Interestin...
Last post by roadman65 - Today at 04:28:12 PM
Off-Topic / Re: Black Friday could be your...
Last post by Bobby5280 - Today at 04:26:45 PM
Regarding those cheap USB memory sticks (or jump drives, thumb drives or whatever anyone wants to call them): I would not store any files on those things that wasn't already backed up separate volumes elsewhere. Those devices can and do fail.

Yesterday at my workplace our large format RIP printing application was crashing only 20 or so seconds after launch because of a corrupt file that was loaded into the print queue from a failing USB memory stick. A few years ago I bought a SanDisk 128GB USB memory stick that went bad only about a month after buying it.

When I'm driving my pickup I'll sometimes play albums of music from a portable SSD plugged into one of the USB ports. I have at least several hundred full albums stored in the SSD in 320kb MP3 format. I tried dubbing off my collection onto a 128GB USB memory stick to give to my brother. His vehicle and even the media player in mine would index only so many song files off that memory stick. I had to divide it onto multiple 32GB sticks for him to see all the song files. Those memory sticks have far slower access times than a SSD.
Traffic Control / Re: Sine salad
Last post by roadman65 - Today at 04:25:00 PM
https://maps.app.goo.gl/baeCvdj3kbqHjbj9A
Even know it's about lane control for the the through lanes and exit ramp, it's still overkill.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.