News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Tappan Zee work started?

Started by Pete from Boston, May 30, 2013, 06:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Only the damaged SB lane will remain closed. Everything else looks to be open now.

cl94

Tomorrow will be a mess with only 3 lanes, assuming they do a 3-3 configuration all day.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cl94 on July 19, 2016, 09:16:36 PM
Tomorrow will be a mess with only 3 lanes, assuming they do a 3-3 configuration all day.

At least it's summer traffic, so that'll dramatically cut down on the congestion.  The worst won't be the 3-3 config...it'll be people slowing down to look at the work going on in the closed lane.

roadman

Quote from: kkt on February 26, 2016, 07:08:57 PM
I think the outward slanting towers look kinda weird.  If they're not vertical, they should be slanted inward, making more of an A shape, for the appearance of solidity.

But then how would Honda get their free advertising?
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 20, 2016, 06:18:34 AM

At least it's summer traffic, so that'll dramatically cut down on the congestion.  The worst won't be the 3-3 config...it'll be people slowing down to look at the work going on in the closed lane.
The worst will be the 3-3 config on imbalanced days - Friday outbound and Sunday inbound. At least Friday, they could theoretically go to a 4-2 if desired, though that could back up traffic to Interchange 16. I would have to go back and look at the volumes to see how much trouble people are in.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on July 20, 2016, 09:46:37 PM

The worst will be the 3-3 config on imbalanced days - Friday outbound and Sunday inbound. At least Friday, they could theoretically go to a 4-2 if desired, though that could back up traffic to Interchange 16. I would have to go back and look at the volumes to see how much trouble people are in.

At least they have it somewhat-open. My planned route to the New Haven meet involves I-84 and I'd have to change that if the Tappan Zee remained closed.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on July 20, 2016, 09:51:36 PM

At least they have it somewhat-open. My planned route to the New Haven meet involves I-84 and I'd have to change that if the Tappan Zee remained closed.
Even with the Tap closed, I don't think Saturday morning traffic would get to I-84 enough to bother you. Most of the traffic is generated down in Rockland and Westchester.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on July 20, 2016, 11:44:38 PM
Quote from: cl94 on July 20, 2016, 09:51:36 PM

Even with the Tap closed, I don't think Saturday morning traffic would get to I-84 enough to bother you. Most of the traffic is generated down in Rockland and Westchester.

I'm heading down Friday to clinch I-95 in CT and RI, 8, and 15. Given how traffic was on 84 yesterday, one could expect the same. I'd rather take the Taconic and avoid the tolls on the Mass Pike if I have 8 north of Waterbury.

KEVIN_224

Plus there is no exit from I-90/Massachusetts Turnpike for MA Route 8...which becomes CT Route 8 eventually.

Any idea how long it'll take before that one lane can be reopened on the TZB?

SidS1045

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on July 21, 2016, 08:17:09 AM
Any idea how long it'll take before that one lane can be reopened on the TZB?

The Thruway Authority says the southbound side will be down to one lane overnight tonight, with all southbound traffic stopped by State Police at exit 10 for approximately 20 minutes at about 9:30PM.  Tomorrow morning (5AM is the goal) all three southbound lanes re-open.  Some additional work will be necessary in the near future.

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/news/pressrel/2016/07/2016-07-21-tz-lane-closures.html
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

empirestate

Though the towers have not yet been topped out, cable-stayed spans are now starting to be hung from them. Steelwork for the approach spans now appears complete, or nearly so, save for what has to wait for removal the old bridge.

EDITED TO ADD PHOTOS:

iPhone

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on September 17, 2016, 11:26:02 PM
Though the towers have not yet been topped out, cable-stayed spans are now starting to be hung from them. Steelwork for the approach spans now appears complete, or nearly so, save for what has to wait for removal the old bridge.

iPhone

Yeah, the SB span can't be completed until the old bridge is gone. Nice to see that the cables are going up. This thing might actually be open to traffic within the next few months as planned.

empirestate

You'll have to zoom in to see, but the first pair of towers (westbound on the Westchester side) appears to have been topped out and the temporary work structures (what are they called?) are being dismantled.

I noticed only one span of steel yet to be placed on the upstream span.

iPhone

KEVIN_224

kalvado

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 02, 2017, 06:34:28 AM
http://www.lohud.com/story/news/politics/politics-on-the-hudson/2016/03/21/cashless-tolls-tz-bridge-starts-april-23/82075974/

Cashless tolling coming to the Tappan Zee by April 23rd! :)

Quote"The future will begin on April, 23, 2016," declared Eric Christensen, the Thruway's deputy director of operations at its monthly board meeting in Albany.

empirestate

Quote from: kalvado on April 02, 2017, 09:33:18 AM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 02, 2017, 06:34:28 AM
http://www.lohud.com/story/news/politics/politics-on-the-hudson/2016/03/21/cashless-tolls-tz-bridge-starts-april-23/82075974/

Cashless tolling coming to the Tappan Zee by April 23rd! :)

Quote"The future will begin on April, 23, 2016," declared Eric Christensen, the Thruway's deputy director of operations at its monthly board meeting in Albany.

And here I thought this post would be about the closing of the gap in the bridge:
http://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/tappan-zee-bridge/2017/03/30/tappan-zee-bridge-gap-closed/99832182/

froggie

Not sure whether the point of kalvado's post is that cashless tolling wasn't implemented last year as stated in the article (was it?) or if he missed that the article he quoted was from over a year ago...

Duke87

The cashless tolling was implemented last year as planned.

The toll is now, temporarily, collected on the Rockland side of the bridge. Once the new bridge is finished a new gantry will be built on the Westchester side, where the old toll plaza was.

As for the point of kalvado's post, the post he's quoting from Kevin was made Today. Kevin missed that he was posting an article from last year.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

cl94

Cashless tolling definitely began on the announced date. Toll booths have been gone for months. At this point, the only evidence of a toll plaza is the widened ROW.

KEVIN_224

Sorry for that, guys! How did I not see that part? I saw the link at a completely different forum without double-checking.  :banghead:

Mr. Matté

Can confirm the cashless tolling and the northernmost new bridge span connection based on travel over it yesterday and today.

(OK, you can't really see those things in the photos, but if you're interested in the progress as of yesterday, there they are)

empirestate

And, again–of more up-to-date interest–the gap has been closed. :sombrero:

PHLBOS

Side bar question since this thread is talking about the tolls on the bridge:

I just noticed something when comparing my E-ZPass statements (mine is not a NY-issued account).  Last December (2016), I was charged $4.75; this past March, I was charged the cash/toll-by-plate rate of $5 despite having the same exact E-ZPass transponder.

Did the NYSTA Authority recently institute transponder discrimination at the Tappan Zee Bridge (& their other locations) or was the higher toll charge a mistake?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 03, 2017, 09:24:27 AM
Side bar question since this thread is talking about the tolls on the bridge:

I just noticed something when comparing my E-ZPass statements (mine is not a NY-issued account).  Last December (2016), I was charged $4.75; this past March, I was charged the cash/toll-by-plate rate of $5 despite having the same exact E-ZPass transponder.

Did the NYSTA Authority recently institute transponder discrimination at the Tappan Zee Bridge (& their other locations) or was the higher toll charge a mistake?

The lower toll was a mistake. NYSTA has had transponder discrimination for years.

02 Park Ave

The NYSTA stopped the E-Z Pass discount for out of state vehicles this year.
C-o-H

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.