News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Alphabet’s Google to Fold Chrome Operating System Into Android

Started by bing101, November 27, 2015, 11:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

Thing 342

Stratuscaster

vdeane

In any case, I like my Chromebook just fine with the desktop-style OS.  If I wanted a phone, I would use one.  I do not need to have my computers turned into phones.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bing101

kkt

Quote from: vdeane on November 27, 2015, 09:19:25 PM
In any case, I like my Chromebook just fine with the desktop-style OS.  If I wanted a phone, I would use one.  I do not need to have my computers turned into phones.

:clap:

Phones have huge limitations compared to desktops!  Why would I want to settle for the limitations of a phone when I'm using a computer??

Duke87

Quote from: kkt on December 08, 2015, 12:38:27 PM
Phones have huge limitations compared to desktops!  Why would I want to settle for the limitations of a phone when I'm using a computer??

You wouldn't, but increasingly people are eschewing traditional computers in favor of tablet PCs due to the greater portability they offer. If a GUI seems phone-like it is because it is designed with these users (or, more particularly, a touch screen) in mind. Windows has been moving in this direction too and, given that laptops with touch screens are now available, I don't see the trend reversing. There is a time coming soon where a computer not having a touch screen will seem as odd and antiquated as a computer not having a mouse or anything equivalent.

And yes, a tablet is not as powerful as a full PC, but it's powerful enough for the purposes of most people.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

Of course, there are also lots of people who never learned how to use a traditional computer who do know how to use a phone.  But seriously, tech companies, please don't ruin computers for the rest of us!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.