News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Changing attitudes towards expelled students

Started by bandit957, January 30, 2019, 11:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

csw

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 04, 2019, 04:48:45 PM
Quote from: Takumi on February 04, 2019, 04:35:59 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on February 04, 2019, 12:20:33 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 04, 2019, 12:06:30 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on February 03, 2019, 08:16:24 PM
a) If H. Belkins pays $20 to enter an all-you-can-eat buffet, how much money will the owners lose?
b) How long will it take H. Belkins to start blubbering about the fact that I made this joke, in seconds?

I don't know who this H. Belkins character is, but I certainly can't eat as much as I used to. I don't frequently patronize buffets these days, because I certainly don't get my money's worth anymore.

And aren't you making unwarranted assumptions about this H. Belkins person, considering you've never met him before?
A sense of humor is a wonderful thing. Get one.

It'd require the subject material to be funny though...
It's hilarious to me.  Whether it's funny to you, or any other boarder, is no concern of mine.
don't worry, it's hilarious to more people than just you. I'm in tears over here.

formulanone

Quote from: bugo on February 03, 2019, 11:11:21 PM
Quote from: formulanone on January 30, 2019, 06:39:47 PM
Piecing together your posts, I feel as if there's a whole series of dangerous incidents that which happened decades ago which weren't explained to the right people at the right time. And that must suck, to be honest.

But...Nobody cares what you (or anyone else) did in high school. Why should anyone care about your situation over 25 years ago? Everyone else has moved on as an adult, and nobody cares much about how exciting your specific situations were because it's impossible to relate. The echoes of the past are silent and the individual actions of history are all but forgotten.

I care. No matter what you think of Bandit, his posts generate a lot of conversation, much of which is hilarious. I've been a fan of his for years now.

Eh, it's not a slight. We all have things to get over; maybe it's all therapeutic. And his posts are a welcome break from the usual around here.

Speaking as fellow 45-year-olds, talking about how much you rebelled against your high school authority is like talking about how shiny your tricycle was back in the day. Someone who hasn't been through the same things (say, a co-worker or acquaintance) and expecting that they should still care about the events of years ago, seems out-of-depth, because it won't trigger the same response after as the years go on.

Maybe it's because I find ever-decreasing relevance to the events in past to those in today's world, which has likely happened since the dawn of man.

Roadgeekteen

bandit957

Quote from: formulanone on February 06, 2019, 07:14:07 AM
Eh, it's not a slight. We all have things to get over; maybe it's all therapeutic. And his posts are a welcome break from the usual around here.

Speaking as fellow 45-year-olds, talking about how much you rebelled against your high school authority is like talking about how shiny your tricycle was back in the day. Someone who hasn't been through the same things (say, a co-worker or acquaintance) and expecting that they should still care about the events of years ago, seems out-of-depth, because it won't trigger the same response after as the years go on.

Maybe it's because I find ever-decreasing relevance to the events in past to those in today's world, which has likely happened since the dawn of man.

It must still be relevant, because just a few weeks ago on Facebook, some asshole started bragging about how he punched me in the face 30 years ago and got me kicked off the school bus. This post wasn't in a high school group, and I hadn't posted anything about him. Then he had the nerve to complain that people who were harassed at school have ruined social media sites by lashing out at the world.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

abefroman329

Quote from: bandit957 on February 06, 2019, 09:21:56 AM

It must still be relevant, because just a few weeks ago on Facebook, some asshole started bragging about how he punched me in the face 30 years ago and got me kicked off the school bus. This post wasn't in a high school group, and I hadn't posted anything about him. Then he had the nerve to complain that people who were harassed at school have ruined social media sites by lashing out at the world.
I would wager that at least 60% of the people who read his post thought "what kind of lowlife brags about punching someone in the face 30 years ago?"  Maybe even 70%.  As for the other 30-40%, fuck them.  They have to go through life as emotionally stunted man-children, and it's their loss.

formulanone

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 06, 2019, 09:25:39 AM
Quote from: bandit957 on February 06, 2019, 09:21:56 AM

I would wager that at least 60% of the people who read his post thought "what kind of lowlife brags about punching someone in the face 30 years ago?"  Maybe even 70%.  As for the other 30-40%, fuck them.  They have to go through life as emotionally stunted man-children, and it's their loss.

My thoughts exactly; what kind kid thinks that's still cool? Feel free to call someone to publicly call them a piece of turd and move on.

Of course, there's going to be a few on the sidelines, wondering why it happened in the first place...but it sounds like a jerk for jerk's sake.

bandit957

Quote from: formulanone on February 06, 2019, 09:52:59 AM
My thoughts exactly; what kind kid thinks that's still cool?

Of course, there's going to be a few on the sidelines, wondering why it happened in the first place...

He bragged on Facebook that he bullied me 30 years ago because I didn't have as much money as him, and then he whined that I "tried to bully" him in return. Then he boasted that he punched me in the face.

His pals were also the ones who recently started a Facebook group that encouraged motorists to run bicyclists off the road. After this group was founded, somebody apparently acted upon it and ran cars off the road. But I think this group is gone already. From what I hear, the police began an investigation of the vehicular assaults, but they received pressure from local political figures (one of whom lost in November) to drop the investigation.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

abefroman329

Quote from: bandit957 on February 06, 2019, 10:00:38 AMHis pals were also the ones who recently started a Facebook group that encouraged motorists to run bicyclists off the road.
And once again I ask why I'm supposed to care about people like this.

hbelkins

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 06, 2019, 10:12:03 AM
Quote from: bandit957 on February 06, 2019, 10:00:38 AMHis pals were also the ones who recently started a Facebook group that encouraged motorists to run bicyclists off the road.

Some of the anti-bicyclist sentiment that's exhibited in some of the NYC-related Facebook road groups is hilarious.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on February 06, 2019, 11:18:52 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on February 06, 2019, 10:12:03 AM

Some of the anti-bicyclist sentiment that's exhibited in some of the NYC-related Facebook road groups is hilarious.
"Bicyclists vs. motorists" is one of the few conflicts where I agree that everyone involved is at least a little bit wrong.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: bandit957 on February 06, 2019, 10:00:38 AM

Of course, there's going to be a few on the sidelines, wondering why it happened in the first place...

He bragged on Facebook that he bullied me 30 years ago because I didn't have as much money as him, and then he whined that I "tried to bully" him in return. Then he boasted that he punched me in the face.

His pals were also the ones who recently started a Facebook group that encouraged motorists to run bicyclists off the road. After this group was founded, somebody apparently acted upon it and ran cars off the road. But I think this group is gone already. From what I hear, the police began an investigation of the vehicular assaults, but they received pressure from local political figures (one of whom lost in November) to drop the investigation.
Don't tattle tale to the world.

kphoger

Wow, and I thought my high school class was bad...
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

And I thought that my Math class was naughty...

bugo

Quote from: hbelkins on February 03, 2019, 08:09:04 PM
I'm sure the potheads here can figure this one out pretty quickly.

I prefer the word "patient" over the slightly offensive "pothead". There are medical marijuana users and there are stoners. Just because a person uses cannabis that doesn't make them "potheads" or "stoners". They are using safe, effective medicine that is non-toxic and all natural. I still don't understand why you have such an irrational hatred of cannabis. Do you not care about sick patients who are not responding to any medication other than cannabis? Republicans are starting to jump on the legalization bandwagon. Perhaps you watched "Reefer Madness" and took it seriously.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: bugo on February 06, 2019, 10:32:38 PM

I prefer the word "patient" over the slightly offensive "pothead". There are medical marijuana users and there are stoners. Just because a person uses cannabis that doesn't make them "potheads" or "stoners". They are using safe, effective medicine that is non-toxic and all natural. I still don't understand why you have such an irrational hatred of cannabis. Do you not care about sick patients who are not responding to any medication other than cannabis? Republicans are starting to jump on the legalization bandwagon. Perhaps you watched "Reefer Madness" and took it seriously.
What's the problem about calling them "marijuana users"?

Beltway

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 07, 2019, 07:53:40 AM

Some people think that "pot" and "reefer" are pejorative terms.  I think that they are appropriate, that while there may be some rare medicinal usages of pot, that most people who like to take pot do it only for the sake of "getting high", so it is fair to call them "potheads" and "stoners".
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Beltway on February 07, 2019, 08:36:32 AM

Some people think that "pot" and "reefer" are pejorative terms.  I think that they are appropriate, that while there may be some rare medicinal usages of pot, that most people who like to take pot do it only for the sake of "getting high", so it is fair to call them "potheads" and "stoners".
The sound of pothead is just negative.

abefroman329

Quote from: Beltway on February 07, 2019, 08:36:32 AMSome people think that "drunk" and "alcoholic" are pejorative terms.  I think that they are appropriate, that while there may be some rare therapeutic usages of alcohol, that most people who like to drink alcohol do it only for the sake of "getting drunk", so it is fair to call them "drunks" and "alcoholics".
Also, "take pot"?  Just stop talking.

Beltway

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 07, 2019, 09:05:31 AM
Quote from: Beltway on February 07, 2019, 08:36:32 AM
The sound of pothead is just negative.

How about "reefer user"?

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 07, 2019, 09:39:59 AM
Also, "take pot"?  Just stop talking.

Well, from what they say, in addition to smoking it, it can be mixed into food cooked or uncooked depending on the food, and that it causes a similar 'high' just that it takes longer to get there.

So "take pot" is a simple way to describe all the uses.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.