License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaBigE

Quote from: 6a on February 13, 2020, 08:36:54 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on February 13, 2020, 12:05:15 PM
What are the x1 x2 columns supposed to indicate? Wisconsin has no inspection sticker. Any regions of the state with emissions checks has the process tied to the registration sticker, of which there is only one on the rear plate.
I think it means the number of stickers on each plate. In Ohio, for example, the rear plate has a county sticker and the yearly registration. The front (until July) only has the county sticker.

I could buy that interpretation, but two doesn't really describe Wisconsin, IMO. For regular automobiles with standard plates, there's two stickers, one for the month and one for the year, but only the year sticker ever gets changed. Light trucks do gain an extra sticker for a weight rating, but that one doesn't change either. Buses and motorhomes get a combination month/year sticker.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

kalvado

What are the x1 x2 columns supposed to indicate? Wisconsin has no inspection sticker. Any regions of the state with emissions checks has the process tied to the registration sticker, of which there is only one on the rear plate.
I thought those are years; sticker valid for 1 or 2 years respectively

DaBigE

Quote from: kalvado on February 13, 2020, 08:53:08 PM

Then it's that much more incorrect for WI. Are there any states with 2-year validations for regular vehicles?
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

jakeroot

Quote from: DaBigE on February 13, 2020, 09:40:36 PM

Then it's that much more incorrect for WI. Are there any states with 2-year validations for regular vehicles?

Oregon, if I recall correctly. But the map would then be wrong for WA, as we require once-yearly registration.

Big John

Louisiana does https://www.dmv.org/la-louisiana/registration-renewal.php

frankenroad

Massachusetts has 2-year validations for regular vehicles.

Ohio allows you to choose from 1 to 5 years upon renewal.  Most people do one year, which is the default if you don't specify.  I tend to do 3.  The only cost savings is the processing & postage, which, together, only add up to a few dollars/year.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

7/8

Quote from: jakeroot on February 12, 2020, 12:18:09 AM
Damn. I really liked "Yours to Discover". Something really classy about it. The new motto seems like a rewording of that silly "Open for Business" slogan plastered on the welcome signs.

I drove by two of the new plates at dusk yesterday and couldn't even make out the numbers/letters since the blue background lights up from the headlights. I noticed this reddit thread on the plates this morning, and the top comment is someone complaining about the same issue :-D. Do they not test them out first?

vdeane

NY is 2 years for registration but 1 year for inspection.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

renegade

Quote from: 7/8 on February 14, 2020, 12:24:38 PMI drove by two of the new plates at dusk yesterday and couldn't even make out the numbers/letters since the blue background lights up from the headlights. I noticed this reddit thread on the plates this morning, and the top comment is someone complaining about the same issue :-D. Do they not test them out first?
I would bet they're perfectly readable using an automatic license plate reader.  Watch the video in the reddit link.  The numbers show up quite nicely with a phone camera flash, and will do the same under infrared.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

jakeroot

Quote from: 7/8 on February 14, 2020, 12:24:38 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on February 12, 2020, 12:18:09 AM
Damn. I really liked "Yours to Discover". Something really classy about it. The new motto seems like a rewording of that silly "Open for Business" slogan plastered on the welcome signs.

I drove by two of the new plates at dusk yesterday and couldn't even make out the numbers/letters since the blue background lights up from the headlights. I noticed this reddit thread on the plates this morning, and the top comment is someone complaining about the same issue :-D. Do they not test them out first?

Haha, nice! It's one thing to not love the design and/or complain about the slogan, but another for the plate to have functional issues.

However, I may have jumped the gun on complaining about the slogan. That Reddit thread led me to the Expo 67 anthem, which started the "place to grow" lyrics:

https://youtu.be/KU1wUfqhsM8

I'm not keen on states trying to sell their themselves as places to do business (like the welcome signs), but I love the throwback slogan in this instance. Still prefer the old plate design!

7/8

Quote from: jakeroot on February 14, 2020, 02:51:56 PM
I'm not keen on states trying to sell their themselves as places to do business (like the welcome signs), but I love the throwback slogan in this instance. Still prefer the old plate design!

Yeah, our "Open for Business" welcome signs are pretty tacky! :pan:

Quote from: renegade on February 14, 2020, 12:59:27 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on February 14, 2020, 12:24:38 PMI drove by two of the new plates at dusk yesterday and couldn't even make out the numbers/letters since the blue background lights up from the headlights. I noticed this reddit thread on the plates this morning, and the top comment is someone complaining about the same issue :-D. Do they not test them out first?
I would bet they're perfectly readable using an automatic license plate reader.  Watch the video in the reddit link.  The numbers show up quite nicely with a phone camera flash, and will do the same under infrared.

That's a fair point (and good to hear), but I still think it's a glaring issue that they're hard to see with the naked eye.

KEVIN_224

Is Connecticut missing on those maps? Anyways, I don't think they put the expiration sticker on the plates here anymore. I still see plenty of cars with the front plates however. Mostly still of the gradient blue design, getting lighter as you move down.

Dustin DeWinn

Connecticut was blank because I think they did away with stickers altogether. No reason to clutter the make with null/blank data.

I was trying to develop an easier way to visualize this - again it was in draft state.

US 89

Quote from: Dustin DeWinn on February 12, 2020, 11:38:14 AM

This is incorrect for Utah, where expiration is indicated by a month and year sticker on the rear license plate only. Nothing goes on the windshield.

(photo from 15q.net)

roadfro

Quote from: Dustin DeWinn on February 12, 2020, 11:38:14 AM
I know this maybe confusing, but it's a very complicated system. I was curious what each state was doing in terms of license plate registration and inspection stickers. You have states that are rear plate-only, some have stickers on the windshield, some on the front plate, some back, some both, etc. I made a half-assed attempt to visualize this. The purpose was to understand what everyone was doing. Hawaii was the most complicated and couldn't figure it out because it varies on a number of factors.

States have removed or reduced sticker requirements to save money, and this was to sort of demonstrate an incentive for other states to do that too.

So what does the color for Nevada mean, which is also used for several other states? If it's "1 sticker on rear plate", that color doesn't match what's in the key...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on February 17, 2020, 02:55:05 PM
So what does the color for Nevada mean, which is also used for several other states? If it's "1 sticker on rear plate", that color doesn't match what's in the key...

It's not a perfect match, but it's definitely "1 sticker, rear plate", especially as it matches what I already know about those states.

I'm guessing he changed the color of the key last-second, but didn't change the map colors.

kphoger

I thought it meant "only one sticker, only on the rear plate".  Whereas it not being purple means they don't have front plates there.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on February 17, 2020, 05:03:41 PM
I thought it meant "only one sticker, only on the rear plate".  Whereas it not being purple means they don't have front plates there.

You mean, "not being purple means they have front plates there"?

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on February 18, 2020, 04:13:36 AM

That's the way I interpret the key, yes.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on February 18, 2020, 01:35:29 PM
That's the way I interpret the key, yes.

I think it's the opposite. White, i.e. snow covered, states (hey... that actually works... almost!), have to have a front plate.
I'm sure NY does.

kphoger

"not being purple means they have front plates there"?

Quote from: webny99 on February 18, 2020, 01:38:48 PM
White ... states ... have to have a front plate.

Those are not opposites.  They mean the same thing.

I'm sure NY does.

Right.  Which is why it's both "not being purple" and also "white".
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on February 18, 2020, 02:12:25 PM
Those are not opposites.  They mean the same thing.
I'm sure NY does.
Right.  Which is why it's both "not being purple" and also "white".

OK, OK, so I agree with that, but I guess I was not aware that you had reversed your position since your original statement:

Whereas it not being purple* means they don't have front plates there.
*that is, being white

So, please accept my apologies for making something that shouldn't have been confusing in the first place even more confusing.

kphoger

Actually, looking back more closely, it's my bad.  I didn't realize that jakeroot was actually correcting me, not merely clarifying.  Your bolding my "don't" in that quote highlights what I typed wrong.  I should have eliminated that word.

Whereas it not being purple means they don't have front plates there
Male pronouns, please.

jakeroot

Phew. I thought I was losing my mind.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.