News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

6 Laning I-40

Started by US71, April 25, 2012, 12:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikieTimT

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on October 07, 2022, 09:43:08 AM
Quote from: US71 on September 25, 2022, 11:12:35 PM
Knowing how ARDOT works, about the time they finish 6-laning, it will need 8-laning.

You must drive I-49 between Fayetteville and Rogers often, lol. I said that when they widened it, go for 8 lanes or build the bridges and overpasses to accommodate it later.

Same here.  Thankfully they're doing some of it with the Wedington and MLK interchange projects, but that's only for Fayetteville.  It's pretty much already needed anywhere from the Don Tyson exit up to Exit 86.  And it already needs 6 laning from the Pea Ridge exit to the US-71 exit at Bella Vista.


razorback0308

Quote from: MikieTimT on October 07, 2022, 10:02:48 AM
Quote from: Wayward Memphian on October 07, 2022, 09:43:08 AM
Quote from: US71 on September 25, 2022, 11:12:35 PM
Knowing how ARDOT works, about the time they finish 6-laning, it will need 8-laning.

You must drive I-49 between Fayetteville and Rogers often, lol. I said that when they widened it, go for 8 lanes or build the bridges and overpasses to accommodate it later.

Same here.  Thankfully they're doing some of it with the Wedington and MLK interchange projects, but that's only for Fayetteville. It's pretty much already needed anywhere from the Don Tyson exit up to Exit 86.  And it already needs 6 laning from the Pea Ridge exit to the US-71 exit at Bella Vista.

I couldn't agree more with the bold part (hopefully I bolded it from the IPad) I drive that section regularly.

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on October 07, 2022, 10:02:48 AM

Same here.  Thankfully they're doing some of it with the Wedington and MLK interchange projects, but that's only for Fayetteville.  It's pretty much already needed anywhere from the Don Tyson exit up to Exit 86.  And it already needs 6 laning from the Pea Ridge exit to the US-71 exit at Bella Vista.

IIRC, Wedington will be a Diverging Diamond
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MikieTimT

Quote from: US71 on October 07, 2022, 05:16:58 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on October 07, 2022, 10:02:48 AM

Same here.  Thankfully they're doing some of it with the Wedington and MLK interchange projects, but that's only for Fayetteville.  It's pretty much already needed anywhere from the Don Tyson exit up to Exit 86.  And it already needs 6 laning from the Pea Ridge exit to the US-71 exit at Bella Vista.

IIRC, Wedington will be a Diverging Diamond

Not unless they made significant changes to the plan, which was a parclo loop for northbound I-49 from eastbound Wedington.

https://www.fayetteville-ar.gov/DocumentCenter/View/4753/BB0411-_Exit64_Exhibit?bidId=

https://www.fayetteville-ar.gov/DocumentCenter/View/22355/040847---I49--Wedington-Interchange-Bid-Plans

rte66man

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on October 07, 2022, 09:43:08 AM
Quote from: US71 on September 25, 2022, 11:12:35 PM
Knowing how ARDOT works, about the time they finish 6-laning, it will need 8-laning.

You must drive I-49 between Fayetteville and Rogers often, lol. I said that when they widened it, go for 8 lanes or build the bridges and overpasses to accommodate it later.

I was shocked that OTA did actually provide for an expansion to 8 lanes when they widened I-44 between Kellyville and Sapulpa. All bridges are already wide enough and all overpasses have piers set back far enough so the future expansion will be a breeze. I say that because maybe there's hope for ArDOT to wake up to this.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

                                                               -Yogi Berra

MikieTimT

Quote from: rte66man on October 12, 2022, 08:57:52 AM
Quote from: Wayward Memphian on October 07, 2022, 09:43:08 AM
Quote from: US71 on September 25, 2022, 11:12:35 PM
Knowing how ARDOT works, about the time they finish 6-laning, it will need 8-laning.

You must drive I-49 between Fayetteville and Rogers often, lol. I said that when they widened it, go for 8 lanes or build the bridges and overpasses to accommodate it later.

I was shocked that OTA did actually provide for an expansion to 8 lanes when they widened I-44 between Kellyville and Sapulpa. All bridges are already wide enough and all overpasses have piers set back far enough so the future expansion will be a breeze. I say that because maybe there's hope for ArDOT to wake up to this.

The White River bridge on I-40 is built for 6 lanes even though it's striped currently for 4.  Same thing for 1 of the 2 St. Francis River bridges.  They are waking up, slowly but surely.  These are the greatest hurdles for 6 laning between LR and Memphis, so it's starting to sink in, apparently.

MikieTimT

A pretty sobering picture of the quantity of truck traffic on this stretch.  Glad I'm not driving anywhere in northern Arkansas today.

https://htv-streaming.hearst.io/8d513013-64c6-40d1-808b-041c47c7a101/video_rover_16x9_480p_sd_1675184977_13674.mp4

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on January 31, 2023, 06:48:24 PM
A pretty sobering picture of the quantity of truck traffic on this stretch.  Glad I'm not driving anywhere in northern Arkansas today.

https://htv-streaming.hearst.io/8d513013-64c6-40d1-808b-041c47c7a101/video_rover_16x9_480p_sd_1675184977_13674.mp4

Forrest City is eastern Arkansas , but it seems like a lot of accidents occur in that area.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: MikieTimT on January 31, 2023, 06:48:24 PM
A pretty sobering picture of the quantity of truck traffic on this stretch.  Glad I'm not driving anywhere in northern Arkansas today.

https://htv-streaming.hearst.io/8d513013-64c6-40d1-808b-041c47c7a101/video_rover_16x9_480p_sd_1675184977_13674.mp4

You should see how many drive US 70 along side I-40 even without traffic tie ups on I-40.

CoreySamson

Quote from: US71 on January 31, 2023, 11:27:18 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on January 31, 2023, 06:48:24 PM
A pretty sobering picture of the quantity of truck traffic on this stretch.  Glad I'm not driving anywhere in northern Arkansas today.

https://htv-streaming.hearst.io/8d513013-64c6-40d1-808b-041c47c7a101/video_rover_16x9_480p_sd_1675184977_13674.mp4

Forrest City is eastern Arkansas , but it seems like a lot of accidents occur in that area.
Last month I was stuck in a jam like that for 70 minutes without moving in that general area. Not good that this is happening so often.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

MikieTimT

Quote from: CoreySamson on February 03, 2023, 09:07:34 PM
Last month I was stuck in a jam like that for 70 minutes without moving in that general area. Not good that this is happening so often.

Imagine what it'll be like when closing a lane in either direction for construction?

Road Hog

Quote from: MikieTimT on February 04, 2023, 11:57:27 AM
Quote from: CoreySamson on February 03, 2023, 09:07:34 PM
Last month I was stuck in a jam like that for 70 minutes without moving in that general area. Not good that this is happening so often.

Imagine what it'll be like when closing a lane in either direction for construction?
I experienced it about 11 years ago driving back from Tennessee when they were widening the White River bridge. The backup stretched from the bridge all the back to the Brinkley exit. And this was on a Sunday in mid-June.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Road Hog on February 04, 2023, 04:21:33 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on February 04, 2023, 11:57:27 AM
Quote from: CoreySamson on February 03, 2023, 09:07:34 PM
Last month I was stuck in a jam like that for 70 minutes without moving in that general area. Not good that this is happening so often.

Imagine what it'll be like when closing a lane in either direction for construction?
I experienced it about 11 years ago driving back from Tennessee when they were widening the White River bridge. The backup stretched from the bridge all the back to the Brinkley exit. And this was on a Sunday in mid-June.

It doesn't matter what day of the week with that stretch.  It's mostly interstate traffic, so the bulk isn't made up of commuters anyway.  May get a little slower at night with truckers pulling off to sleep, but during daylight hours, it doesn't seem to matter much.

rte66man

Quote from: Road Hog on February 04, 2023, 04:21:33 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on February 04, 2023, 11:57:27 AM
Quote from: CoreySamson on February 03, 2023, 09:07:34 PM
Last month I was stuck in a jam like that for 70 minutes without moving in that general area. Not good that this is happening so often.

Imagine what it'll be like when closing a lane in either direction for construction?
I experienced it about 11 years ago driving back from Tennessee when they were widening the White River bridge. The backup stretched from the bridge all the back to the Brinkley exit. And this was on a Sunday in mid-June.

Used to hop off at Brinkley WB thru DeValls Bluff and rejoin I40 at Hazen. ArDOT even resurfaced 70 because of all the extra traffic.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

                                                               -Yogi Berra

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: rte66man on February 07, 2023, 09:08:49 AM
Quote from: Road Hog on February 04, 2023, 04:21:33 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on February 04, 2023, 11:57:27 AM
Quote from: CoreySamson on February 03, 2023, 09:07:34 PM
Last month I was stuck in a jam like that for 70 minutes without moving in that general area. Not good that this is happening so often.

Imagine what it'll be like when closing a lane in either direction for construction?
I experienced it about 11 years ago driving back from Tennessee when they were widening the White River bridge. The backup stretched from the bridge all the back to the Brinkley exit. And this was on a Sunday in mid-June.

Used to hop off at Brinkley WB thru DeValls Bluff and rejoin I40 at Hazen. ArDOT even resurfaced 70 because of all the extra traffic.

Hence why it has become a default route for many truckers.

armadillo speedbump

Quote from: MikieTimT on September 19, 2022, 02:12:17 PM
Getting the ball rolling on widening 28 miles east of Little Rock within the next 3 years.  In the Draft 2023-2026 STIP, ARDOT has 17 miles from AR-440 to AR-31 at Lonoke and 12 miles from Jennette to W. Memphis scheduled for project development funding.  Now for the remaining 92 miles...

https://www.ardot.gov/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/2023-2026_STIP_Draft_General_Electronic.pdf Pg. 2 (Slide 33)

That is welcome news.  And then a "passing lane" type section of 3rd lane somewhere in between would make a huge difference, 10 miles of "No trucks in left lane" where the back up of cars can get around all the 67 mph trucks that insist on slogging past 65 mph trucks. 

Wheatley/78 to Palestine/261 Main St would provide almost 12 miles of a passing zone for probably the lowest cost per mile, as there are no bridges to widen in that stretch and all the overpasses have room for another lane each way.  That would break up the 90.5 mile Lonoke-Jeanette combat zone into 32 miles east of Palestine and 46.5 miles west of Wheatley.  Extending the 6-lane east from Lonoke-Hazen/63 might make the most economic sense for the following phase, 18.5 miles with also no bridges to widen.

In the meantime, the lowest cost and fastest way to relief would be to create several "No truck passing zones".  Without widening, how about placing "No trucks in the left lane the next 10 miles" signs on 3 to 5 segments of the 117 miles between I-440 and I-55?  Immediate relief and increased capacity for just the cost of signs.

Better yet, put enforcement cams in those segments.  The fines on all those impatient and rules flaunting FedEx drivers should soon cover the cost.

MikieTimT

Quote from: armadillo speedbump on February 20, 2024, 09:29:01 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on September 19, 2022, 02:12:17 PM
Getting the ball rolling on widening 28 miles east of Little Rock within the next 3 years.  In the Draft 2023-2026 STIP, ARDOT has 17 miles from AR-440 to AR-31 at Lonoke and 12 miles from Jennette to W. Memphis scheduled for project development funding.  Now for the remaining 92 miles...

https://www.ardot.gov/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/2023-2026_STIP_Draft_General_Electronic.pdf Pg. 2 (Slide 33)

That is welcome news.  And then a "passing lane" type section of 3rd lane somewhere in between would make a huge difference, 10 miles of "No trucks in left lane" where the back up of cars can get around all the 67 mph trucks that insist on slogging past 65 mph trucks. 

Wheatley/78 to Palestine/261 Main St would provide almost 12 miles of a passing zone for probably the lowest cost per mile, as there are no bridges to widen in that stretch and all the overpasses have room for another lane each way.  That would break up the 90.5 mile Lonoke-Jeanette combat zone into 32 miles east of Palestine and 46.5 miles west of Wheatley.  Extending the 6-lane east from Lonoke-Hazen/63 might make the most economic sense for the following phase, 18.5 miles with also no bridges to widen.

In the meantime, the lowest cost and fastest way to relief would be to create several "No truck passing zones".  Without widening, how about placing "No trucks in the left lane the next 10 miles" signs on 3 to 5 segments of the 117 miles between I-440 and I-55?  Immediate relief and increased capacity for just the cost of signs.

Better yet, put enforcement cams in those segments.  The fines on all those impatient and rules flaunting FedEx drivers should soon cover the cost.

There should be some periodic 6 lanes segments in the middle section to help with micropassing, but it would only work if trucks were banned from the leftmost lane.

Enforcement cameras don't exist in Arkansas except in Little Rock (FLOCK cameras for fictitious tags likely involved in car thefts) and now for speeding in construction zones.  And I'm good with keeping it as is.  The real solution is more lanes with the truck counts on I-30/eastern I-40.  Crazy high percentage of trucks (~60% trucks when outside of the metros) with AADTs between 35K and 40K.


Road Hog

Quote from: armadillo speedbump on February 20, 2024, 09:29:01 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on September 19, 2022, 02:12:17 PM
Getting the ball rolling on widening 28 miles east of Little Rock within the next 3 years.  In the Draft 2023-2026 STIP, ARDOT has 17 miles from AR-440 to AR-31 at Lonoke and 12 miles from Jennette to W. Memphis scheduled for project development funding.  Now for the remaining 92 miles...

https://www.ardot.gov/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/2023-2026_STIP_Draft_General_Electronic.pdf Pg. 2 (Slide 33)

That is welcome news.  And then a "passing lane" type section of 3rd lane somewhere in between would make a huge difference, 10 miles of "No trucks in left lane" where the back up of cars can get around all the 67 mph trucks that insist on slogging past 65 mph trucks. 

Wheatley/78 to Palestine/261 Main St would provide almost 12 miles of a passing zone for probably the lowest cost per mile, as there are no bridges to widen in that stretch and all the overpasses have room for another lane each way.  That would break up the 90.5 mile Lonoke-Jeanette combat zone into 32 miles east of Palestine and 46.5 miles west of Wheatley.  Extending the 6-lane east from Lonoke-Hazen/63 might make the most economic sense for the following phase, 18.5 miles with also no bridges to widen.

In the meantime, the lowest cost and fastest way to relief would be to create several "No truck passing zones".  Without widening, how about placing "No trucks in the left lane the next 10 miles" signs on 3 to 5 segments of the 117 miles between I-440 and I-55?  Immediate relief and increased capacity for just the cost of signs.

Better yet, put enforcement cams in those segments.  The fines on all those impatient and rules flaunting FedEx drivers should soon cover the cost.
I like the idea of passing lanes in the middle, but realistically the segment from Lonoke over the White River is probably next due to costs. The new bridge is 6-lane ready.

sprjus4

Quote from: armadillo speedbump on February 20, 2024, 09:29:01 PM
Without widening, how about placing "No trucks in the left lane the next 10 miles" signs on 3 to 5 segments of the 117 miles between I-440 and I-55?
All it takes is one truck going 58 mph to slow down the 14-15 trucks stacking up behind doing 60, 61, 63, 64, 65, 63, etc.

They stack up a couple dozen over this 10 mile segment, then the second it ends, all 24-30 trucks all jump into the left lane and spend the next hour passing each other.

Of course in reality, it's either that situation or straight non-compliance.

MikieTimT

It's getting to the point on I-40 west of Conway that ARDOT is fixing to start needing to consider some stretches of the 6 lane treatment too based on AADT counts according to ARDOT ADT Web App.

In Russellville between Exit 81 and Exit 84, the AR-7 and AR-331 exits, the counts are pushing 40K with 27% truck traffic, so it's at the point due to local traffic that this 3 miles needs the 6 lane treatment.

From Conway's end of the 6 lane at Exit 125 up to Morrilton's Exit 108, ADTs are up to 36-38K with 28% trucks.



Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.