News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Highway Talk / Re: Most Bestest EZ-Pass Trans...
Last post by StogieGuy7 - Today at 09:41:35 AM
Quote from: Hobart on April 22, 2024, 03:44:14 PMI have come to a significant milestone in my life: I need to invest in a transponder for the Illinois Tollway.

I'm not sure if I heard it here or somewhere else, but I've heard of different states having better terms for their transponder holders.

I will be registering whatever transponder I acquire with a Wisconsin address, and will be driving on the Illinois Tollway like once a month tops. What state's EZ-Pass flavor should I acquire?

Given where you live, you'll probably be using the Illinois Tollway system the most anyhow, so I'd go with that. If there's any issue with a toll payment on the tollway, it's much more easily resolved if you are using an I-Pass than if you're using some other EZPass. Not to mention that, although you get the same terms with an I Pass as you'd get with an EZPass from out east, most of those charge quite a bit more money to get started, including a fee for the pass itself.  I Pass doesn't do that, I think you can start for as little as $10.

One thing I should tell you is that the new I-Pass transponders are stickers that go on your windshield, so you'll need one per car (though they can be tied to the same account). This was done as the sticker transponders are more modern and more easily interoperable with tollways down south which are also now part of the EZ Pass network (including most Florida toll roads). You can get your I-Pass by signing up on line, stopping at a kiosk on one of the tollway Oases (not recommended) or by simply stopping at the service desk of a Jewel supermarket (where they sell them) or other retailers that partner with the Illinois Tollway.
Mountain West / Re: US 93 In Arizona Progress
Last post by splashflash - Today at 09:30:51 AM
The design for an interchange was completed four years ago for Pierce Ferry Road

https://azdot.gov/planning/transportation-studies/us-93-pierce-ferry-road-feasibility-study
Sports / Re: Arizona Coyotes players ap...
Last post by hotdogPi - Today at 09:25:51 AM
By drawing polygons, I'm getting about 2.6 million for Salt Lake City and 2.1 million for Fresno (includes Merced but not Modesto or Bakersfield), although the numbers are from 2015.

https://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/mapping/popest/gpw-v4/
Last post by Max Rockatansky - Today at 09:21:53 AM
Heh, I just noticed how close Fresno is in those rankings to Salt Lake City.  Nobody would ever consider moving a major sports franchise here. 
Last post by SEWIGuy - Today at 08:59:36 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on Today at 07:11:17 AMThat's a pretty small metro area to have both an NBA and NHL team.

Yep. The next smallest metropolitan area that has both a NBA and NHL team is Denver. Salt Lake is the 46th largest metro area...Denver is 19th.

They are already the second smallest metro area in the U.S. to have either an NBA and NHL team - Buffalo is the only one smaller. Winnipeg is as well if you include Canada.
Quote from: ET21 on April 23, 2024, 02:16:43 PMI assume the original background is pending a comeback?

There's an entire thread about that.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by Rothman - Today at 08:34:44 AM
Quote from: kalvado on Today at 08:04:39 AM
Quote from: Rothman on Today at 07:06:36 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 23, 2024, 11:57:03 PMBasically we are going through a change in demographics. The same demographics that define popular music and radio format is happening.  It's just you got a change in culture to go with it either due to technology or the fact we have other things that are out there that are making the race evolve.

I'm not going to speculate about the other things as there are way too many theories and explanations. My good friend told me once to just live your live and trust that in our old age, children's or grandchildren's lives we will see it get stabilized. Right now there is way too much important stuff to tend to than to theorize on what is the blame ( or who to blame)as there are more theories out there than there are people in the world so it seems.

That's why I ignore social media because too many theorizing on what's happening in this world on that.

Wut.
In simple words:
Old farts like us are used to work.
 So - Go and do your work, let younger guys take care of the rest. You'll be fine, don't worry.

And how is this related to the Key Bridge?

Kind of a convoluted way to just say, "I disagree with younger generations on what is offensive and what isn't, but I'm not going to let them bother me."
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 08:31:05 AM
Quote from: KeithE4Phx on April 23, 2024, 11:21:08 PMIs that an official proposal?  Last I heard, they will be called just "Utah" and will determine their final nickname/logo/trademarks after the 2024-25 season.

Nope. Just a fan mockup.
Traffic Control / Re: Active highway shields tha...
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 08:15:19 AM
Quote from: Tom958 on April 23, 2024, 05:15:37 AMNot a shield, but... when they replaced this assembly, they included a left arrow even though (a) GA 92 is straight ahead and (b) there's no road at all to the left. So I stood on tippytoes and turned the offending arrow so it points up. It looks stupid, but not as stupid as directing drivers into an embankment.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/6FrHW3pW6MA9gccAA

The assembly was only like this for a few days between its raggedy previous condition and my intervention, so the Streetview car really hit it right.

Incredibly cheap of them to mount the arrow with ONE bolt, so that rotating it is possible to do with no tools...
General Highway Talk / Re: Most Bestest EZ-Pass Trans...
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 08:12:24 AM
It is worth noting that whichever government operates the pass you sign up for could theoretically profit off of the interest drawn while the account balance is held in escrow, especially if you don't use the pass often. This could be worth considering if you find a particular state's public policies objectionable. (There are some states that I would be kind of uncomfortable funding by keeping my money in their pass program, which I would weigh against the utility of any unique benefits that particular pass would grant me.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.