News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cities besides Anchorage where freeways don’t connect

Started by roadman65, February 13, 2023, 08:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Anchorage, AK has three freeways:
Seward Highway
Glenn Highway
Minnesota Drive

Yet none of the three interchange with each other. All three do not form a network but are isolated from each other.

Any other places like that?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

While it's not a single city, Laconia NH's bypass is disconnected from I-93.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Max Rockatansky

Alfred Harrell Highway has a freeway segment which doesn't connect to any other limited access facility around Bakersfield.  Likewise, the CA 178 freeway doesn't connect to any other freeways in Bakersfield.  Manor Street has short segment which was constructed as freeway along with an interchange to Roberts Lane. 

KCRoadFan

That US 40 "mini-freeway"  in Baltimore, just west of downtown, comes to mind. Not only does it not connect to any other freeways, but it's so short that is doesn't even have any exits between the termini.

MATraveler128

Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

ilpt4u

TN 22 and Future I-69 at Union City are not going to directly connect, at least initially

Revive 755

Lawrence, Kansas:

* The US 59 freeway south of town doesn't quite make it to K-10.
* The K-10 freeway has a small gap in it - maybe two depending how you want to count the interchange with I-70.

EDIT 1:
Technically it's two cities, but the freeways on the south half of Waterloo/Cedar Falls, Iowa are disconnected from those on the north side.

Might be able to make a case for Dubuque, Iowa with the gaps in the freeways on US 20 and US 61.

For the time being, Lincoln Nebraska has the South Beltway not connected by another freeway to the rest of the area network.

pianocello

Evansville, IN. Unless you count I-64, but I think it's too far north.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Rothman

Always thought Lynchburg, VA's network looked weird on a map.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Duke87

Lexington, KY.

I-64 and I-75 connect, sure, but then New Circle Road/KY 4 (which is mostly freeway) doesn't directly connect to either. And none of the above connect directly to the Bluegrass Parkway, which ends at US 60 about 6 miles west of New Circle Road.

The story here is that New Circle Road predates the interstate system and when I-64 and I-75 were built later, they were built a little further outside of town rather than attempt to reuse any of the existing alignment.

The Bluegrass Parkway, meanwhile, does not extend any further east than it does because a lot of the land between Versailles and Lexington is occupied by horse farms where some prize-winning horses have been raised, and that's serious business in Kentucky so it's not politically feasible for the state to eminent domain the land.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

TheHighwayMan3561

Rochester, MN - the US 63 interchange with US 52 on the south side of the city is signalized, but 63 is a freeway to the south.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Bruce

Vancouver counts, in a way. Highways 1 and 99 don't have a freeway that runs the entire length between them south of the Burrard Inlet; the closest is the SFPR (Hwy 17), which is an expressway. The metro area effectively has two separate freeway networks.

Victoria, BC is also in the same boat, with Highways 1 and 17 separated by a few blocks of at-grade traffic.

froggie

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 14, 2023, 02:35:14 AM
Rochester, MN - the US 63 interchange with US 52 on the south side of the city is signalized, but 63 is a freeway to the south.

Technically, if you're following 63 through that interchange, you don't go through a signal.  Though in fairness it's not a full freeway-to-freeway interchange.

webny99

Quote from: froggie on February 14, 2023, 07:34:53 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 14, 2023, 02:35:14 AM

Technically, if you're following 63 through that interchange, you don't go through a signal.  Though in fairness it's not a full freeway-to-freeway interchange.

Also, neither US 52 nor US 63 have full freeway to freeway connections with I-90.

froggie

^ 52 will change starting next year when they rebuild the interchange.  There will be direct ramps between 52 North and 90 East.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Rothman on February 13, 2023, 11:13:17 PM
Always thought Lynchburg, VA's network looked weird on a map.

Indeed.  All those freeways connect nowadays, but back 25 years ago or so only a few of them connected (and not in any meaningful way).

JayhawkCO

In Pueblo, CO47's freeway segment doesn't quite make it to I-25.

nexus73

30th Avenue (Eugene OR) west of I-5 has a short freeway segment that is all to itself. 

SR 22 west of Salem has a stretch of freeway which does not connect to any other freeway.

US 97 has freeway stretches which do not connect to other freeways.

99E in PDX has expressway mixed with freeway interchanges.  This "might" qualify.

There are other single interchange connections in Oregon as well including ones with 2-lane highways.  Put some of that mileage in the "maybe" category too.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: Duke87 on February 14, 2023, 01:35:25 AM
Lexington, KY.

I-64 and I-75 connect, sure, but then New Circle Road/KY 4 (which is mostly freeway) doesn't directly connect to either. And none of the above connect directly to the Bluegrass Parkway, which ends at US 60 about 6 miles west of New Circle Road.

The story here is that New Circle Road predates the interstate system and when I-64 and I-75 were built later, they were built a little further outside of town rather than attempt to reuse any of the existing alignment.

The Bluegrass Parkway, meanwhile, does not extend any further east than it does because a lot of the land between Versailles and Lexington is occupied by horse farms where some prize-winning horses have been raised, and that's serious business in Kentucky so it's not politically feasible for the state to eminent domain the land.

This is a good one. For a city of it's size, I've long been impressed at just how dysfunctional the highway network is around Lexington. No direct connection between New Circle Road and any interstate or limited access parkway (meaning, you can only get from the aforementioned freeways to this bypass of Lexington via surface streets that have traffic signals and other potential delays. Which makes access to Lexington pretty crappy for anyone trying to get there from outside the immediate area.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Bruce on February 14, 2023, 03:10:06 AM
Vancouver counts, in a way. Highways 1 and 99 don't have a freeway that runs the entire length between them south of the Burrard Inlet; the closest is the SFPR (Hwy 17), which is an expressway. The metro area effectively has two separate freeway networks.

Victoria, BC is also in the same boat, with Highways 1 and 17 separated by a few blocks of at-grade traffic.

Vancouver was the first city that popped in my head.  By far the largest example of this in the two countries.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

webny99

Quote from: froggie on February 14, 2023, 08:34:49 AM
^ 52 will change starting next year when they rebuild the interchange.  There will be direct ramps between 52 North and 90 East.

52 South, no? Either way it is great to see this happening.

Interesting that one left turn out of four accounted for 92% of all left turns as shown here. It makes sense based on the predominant traffic movements, but I'm not sure I've ever seen such a large disparity between the pair of busiest movements (which combine for ~14000 AADT) and the other six movements at the interchange (which combine for ~1200 AADT).

GaryV

M-53 (the Van Dyke Freeway, Romeo Bypass, officially "Christopher Columbus Freeway") is the only freeway in SE Michigan (the whole state for that matter) that doesn't connect to the rest of the freeway system.

There's 2 or 3 separate freeway sections on the Romeo Bypass portion that are separated by mini-expressways with one intersection each.

davewiecking

Quote from: KCRoadFan on February 13, 2023, 09:14:22 PM
That US 40 "mini-freeway"  in Baltimore, just west of downtown, comes to mind. Not only does it not connect to any other freeways, but it's so short that is doesn't even have any exits between the termini.

Not to mention that I-83 doesn't connect with I-95.

hotdogPi

Quote from: davewiecking on February 14, 2023, 12:10:21 PM
Quote from: KCRoadFan on February 13, 2023, 09:14:22 PM

Not to mention that I-83 doesn't connect with I-95.

This reminds me: I-126 and SC 277 in Columbia. Yes, they're both connected to the rest of the system, but they don't connect to each other, and it looks like a gap.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Hobart

In Oak Brook, Illinois, IL-83 has a short freeway segment for two interchanges north of 16th Street before returning to being a surface road.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8569529,-87.9577192,3a,35.1y,-0.27h,89.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXL5OISq8k6UBgPzTr99D3A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

IL-251 has an effectively access-controlled section between Ethel Avenue and Cottage Avenue near downtown Rockford, Illinois.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2890645,-89.063474,16.04z

Finally, although this is cheating a little bit, Dubuque's Southwest Arterial is in the same geographic area as the three separate, disconnected freeway portions of US 61/151. However, it intersects only one of these portions, and at a partial cloverleaf, meaning the Southwest Arterial loses access control right before intersecting US 61/151.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.