News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cleveland Hopkins Airport Master Plan and Future I-71 Connection

Started by thenetwork, May 19, 2021, 03:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Cleveland Hopkins Airport just released a new master plan which could completely rebuild the Airport over the next few decades.

https://www.wkyc.com/video/news/local/cleveland/bold-master-plan-revealed-for-upgrades-to-cleveland-hopkins-international-airport/95-352e13fe-c81f-4b64-bcd1-cfbbfe5f80ef?jwsource=cl

Within the proposal's Zoom meeting (around the 4:00 mark), they discuss a new elevated highway paralleling Snow Road that would create a direct connection between I-71 and the Airport avoiding traffic lights.

There is also a proposal to relocate SR-237 around the east side of the old Ford plant and reconfigure the Airport connections between I-480 and I-71 from the north.

This is more of a wish list for 10-20+ years down the road as they have done some major concourse renovations of late. Their ultimate goal is to fully replace all terminals ‐‐ some of which are well over 50 years old. 

Hopefully, the direct I-71 freeway connection could happen much sooner.

zzcarp

I screenshotted the map from the video.

Proposal 3 would provide the direct connection to I-71 over Snow Road. I do like that since give freeway access to and from the airport to every interstate movement. Presently, the connection to and from I-480 from the west uses Brookpark Road to connect to OH 237 and the airport, and traffic to and from I-71 to the south uses Snow Road. As long as there was a connection from OH 237 somewhere to get into the airport from Berea, this could be a great improvement to the area.

I don't see what realigning OH 237 to the east side of the Ford plant on Engle Road would do unless they're considering expanding into that plant's property. If so, it would disconnect OH 237 from its direct connection to I-71 to downtown Cleveland.

Either way, it's an exciting time for the Cleveland airport.
So many miles and so many roads

triplemultiplex

Quote from: zzcarp on May 19, 2021, 04:42:12 PM
I don't see what realigning OH 237 to the east side of the Ford plant on Engle Road would do unless they're considering expanding into that plant's property. If so, it would disconnect OH 237 from its direct connection to I-71 to downtown Cleveland.

They do have a runway ending right against OH 237.  Not that it's one of the major runways; the lack of 'skid marks' shows it's likely not used much and then mostly by small planes.  Still maybe there are some ideas floating around to tear out that roadway completely and use the new freeway spur to connect OH 237 to the freeway system.  That leaves more room off the end of Runway 1-0 and greatly simplifies how the new airport spur would feed the terminal area.
If that was the case, it would make the most sense to simply route OH 237 down the new spur and have it end at I-71.
Then they could really simplify the I-71/I-480 interchange.
Though the loop ramp to NB I-71 seems underpowered now under that scenario so perhaps it is not someone's thinking.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

thspfc

thenetwork

Quote from: thspfc on May 19, 2021, 10:27:28 PM
Why is OH-237 not sufficent?

For one thing, SR-237 only provides a direct connection to the airport for those on I-480 from the east, I-71 from the north, and SR-237 from Berea.  All others have to take multiple streets, THEN SR-237, to reach the main entrance to the airport.

CLE is like Chicago Midway -- Landlocked, no direct connections to/from all freeway directions, and total mileage of the loops from the main entrance to parking & terminals to the main exit is not even a mile long.   At peak times, traffic will backup all the way onto SR-237 and connecting roads.

And at the main airport entrance, 3 ramps merge into a choke point via a 3-way traffic light.  A bona-fide controlled access highway connecting I-71 direct to the airport, plus a re-designed road system within the airport grounds would go a long way to ease the headaches currently going on there.

PurdueBill

Quote from: thenetwork on May 20, 2021, 07:51:22 PM
And at the main airport entrance, 3 ramps merge into a choke point via a 3-way traffic light.  A bona-fide controlled access highway connecting I-71 direct to the airport, plus a re-designed road system within the airport grounds would go a long way to ease the headaches currently going on there.

That 3-way meeting of entrance ramps to the airport does have redeeming value.  3M signals for everyone!!!!!!

As a complete aside, it would sure be nice to bring the rental car facility back onto the property.  Even though I am local-ish and use CLE a lot (or did in the Before Times), I occasionally have had to rent a car there due to circumstances (fly out of CAK, into CLE due to availability of flights; bonkers family stuff with vehicles, etc.) and that rental car facility location and the bus to it are just miserable.  As less of an aside, it would definitely simplify life for visitors reading signage as far as rental car return.  It is easy to miss the signs and follow the ones for "Airport" and find yourself nowhere near where you return the car if you aren't watching out.  Having the car facility actually at the airport will be nice.

mvak36

Quote from: thenetwork on May 20, 2021, 07:51:22 PM

CLE is like Chicago Midway -- Landlocked, no direct connections to/from all freeway directions, and total mileage of the loops from the main entrance to parking & terminals to the main exit is not even a mile long.   At peak times, traffic will backup all the way onto SR-237 and connecting roads.

I like the drive to CLE a lot better than I do the drive to Midway (which is horrible from the moment I get off of I-55). CLE is closer to the highways, even if I do have to take the local roads. I have only gone there on business though so I have used the rental car facility quite a bit, so I guess I got used to it.

I like the idea of a direct connection to I-71. Doesn't look too far out of the way to get to I-480 as well.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.