News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Alaskan Way Tunnel?!?!

Started by ComputerGuy, January 18, 2009, 02:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ComputerGuy

QuoteThe Seattle Times - Northwest Voices | Bored tunnel to replace Seattle's Alaskan Way Viaduct

Posted by Kate Riley

Don't be deluded

Editor, The Times:

Wake up, Seattle!

The tunnel will have only four lanes compared with the six we currently have. There won't be any exits in downtown Seattle compared with the five exits we now have northbound at Columbia, Seneca and Western and southbound at Western and Royal Brougham Way. There won't be any access to Belltown, Magnolia, Ballard or lower Queen Anne without going all the way through to Mercer Street. You won't be able to get into the tunnel from downtown without going all the way south of Safeco Field or north of Denny Way.

And it's the most expensive option. How is this servicing Seattle? You won't even be able to get into the heart of downtown from the tunnel. Those of you who use it daily to get to your jobs downtown will have no option but to travel two miles of surface streets to get to your offices.

Don't be deluded by their proclamations that we'll "reclaim" the waterfront. Alaskan Way and the train tracks that run under the current viaduct will still be there; the same wide expanse of traffic and transit we have now between downtown and the waterfront will still exist. The viaduct will be replaced with more generic condos, not parks or recreation.

The politicians involved are pushing their own personal agendas, have stopped paying attention to the needs and wishes of their constituents and are spending our money recklessly at a time when none of us can afford it. Do something. Make your voice heard. Stop this ridiculous proposal.

-- Heidi Bernave, Seattle

Hybrid option

The whole process to determine the viaduct replacement focused on either a tunnel or an elevated structure. Why not a hybrid leaving the raised viaduct from the south to about Qwest Field and then a tunnel for the remainder of the distance along the waterfront? This would shorten the tunnel portion, save perhaps a half-billion dollars, reduce construction time, upgrade a major part of the waterfront and still preserve some elevated portion for the view.

An added benefit for the long run: If the tunnel proved to be a mistake, there would be less to correct.

-- Robert Mandich, Seattle

Greater capacity than alternatives

There is one aspect of the opposition to a bored tunnel to replace the Alaskan Way that I don't understand. Opponents say it would reduce the capacity of Highway 99 from six lanes to four. But all the other options, including a replacement viaduct, retain the Battery Street Tunnel with four lanes, which would serve as the "pinch point" of the system.

By contrast, the current proposal, as I understand it, has a four-lane bored tunnel plus the existing Battery Street Tunnel connecting to Alaskan Way, a wide boulevard. Thus, the total capacity of the system through downtown Seattle would actually be greater than under the alternatives. In addition it would, of course, open up downtown to the waterfront.

So, other than cost, what's not to like?

-- Donald Padelford, Seattle

What do you think?

John

They need to do something, its in almost as bad a shape as the Embarcadero Freeway was. They should probably make a surface boulevard like, again, the Embarcadero.
They came, they went, they took my image...

Alex

Chris Kalina posted on the Yahoo! Groups NWRoads Group:

So it looks like a Tunnel is called for - The new tunnel would be a
more direct route from the Denny Way interchange to the current south
end of the viaduct. The existing Battery street tunnel will remain open
for waterfront bound traffic and surface street improvements for
Western (northbound one way) and Alaskan (one way southbound)

ComputerGuy

Quote from: John on January 18, 2009, 02:24:52 PM
They need to do something, its in almost as bad a shape as the Embarcadero Freeway was. They should probably make a surface boulevard like, again, the Embarcadero.

The governor decided for a tunnel. A surface boulevard already exists, Alaskan Way, hence the name.

Alex

Remember during the 2001 Seattle Earthquake when people were hoping that either the viaduct would collapse or that it would be damaged severely enough to warrant its demolition?

John

I know there is a surface boulevard, but it is overshadowed by the viaduct.

Chris

Traffic volumes are around 80,000 according to the traffic count PDF of Washington DOT I have stored on my PC. That's not particularly high for a Seattle freeway, but too much to handle on an at-grade boulevard, unless that boulevard would have been like 14 - 20 lanes wide. So I think a tunnel is the best solution.

Voyager

The Embarcadero Freeway in San Francisco's boulevard seemed to work out ok, I wonder why it's not really being considered here.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

John

It would work, except the traffic counts are much too high. The Embarcadero Freeway (at least they way it was built) didn't really go anywhere and therefore it had low traffic counts.

ComputerGuy

Seattle - Alaskan Way Viaduct = More traffic accidents/commute time up

agentsteel53

Bored tunnel to replace Seattle's Alaskan Way Viaduct

*yawn* what should I do today? watch some TV? do the dishes? nah, I'll replace an old freeway alignment; maybe that will bring some excitement to my life.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

un1

Someone enjoying learning how to use SMF? Well it seems to be working.  :-P
My least favourite about post like that is hen people edit the topic title. So title changing post.  :pan:
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

John

Eh, I'm used to it from SC4D.

Chris

A similar idea in Canada is chopping down the eastern Gardiner in Toronto.

I lookup the traffic volumes are even higher than the Alaskan Way Viaduct there.

Maybe they can learn from the Madrid bypass-sur project, which has brought down the entire southern part of the M-30 beltway, including underground freeway-to-freeway interchanges.

People thinking too easy about removing freeways. The traffic will not dissapear, but go somewhere else, like clogging a nearby freeway or surface streets. What would be worse, a huge viaduct or a 24/7 clogged boulevard?

ComputerGuy

A similar project was Boston's Big Dig

Chris

The Big Dig was a far bigger project, including an I-90 subsea tunnel and a new bridge, and rehabilitation of that part of downtown, and not least, a new interchange with I-90/I-93.

ComputerGuy

Yea...Alaskan Way Viaduct and Seawall Replacement Project is smaller

Scott5114

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 19, 2009, 07:31:08 PM
Bored tunnel to replace Seattle's Alaskan Way Viaduct

*yawn* what should I do today? watch some TV? do the dishes? nah, I'll replace an old freeway alignment; maybe that will bring some excitement to my life.

If you weren't going to make that jokes I was.  :biggrin:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

corco

Given Seattle politics I'll believe it when I see it.

Also a single bore tunnel with no interchanges doesn't really appeal to me that much

Revive 755

It looks like an overpriced dream.   If I'm understanding the proposal correctly, there will still be the container port blocking the waterfront south of Jackson Street, so that section should stay elevated to reduce the length of the tunnel.

I don't really see the current viaduct as much of a barrier; I'd rather walk under it than cross a high volume, 6+ lane surface street at grade. 

In my opinion, people who dislike freeways need to live in a medium sized city without any, and see what fun it can be to get across town, especially when the arterial system also stinks.

corco

The thing people in Seattle who are anti-Viaduct don't seem to understand is that the Port is a huge part of that cities economy. Get rid of some the major north-south waterfront corridor and freight isn't going to move. A large number advocate tearing it out altogether and just making a nice four lane road with increased bus service to get people away from their cars. People don't seem to understand that semi-trucks can't ride buses. That freeway is absolutely critical- far moreso then the Embarcadero was to San Francisco (a lot of people in Seattle compare the viaduct to the Embarcadero)- Seattle's port is bigger and more active and the odd geography of the area makes it so there isn't much room to relieve traffic congestion. Improvement to arterials in Sodo is a start but as far as a way to bypass downtown with easy north-south access for Port freight, commuters to the port, and the thousands of people who otherwise do irregular business at the port, the viaduct is the only way to go. They're not going to somehow make 1st Ave through downtown Seattle semi-truck friendly.

And that's the other problem- demolish the viaduct altogether and you're pushing truck traffic downtown. That sucks for truckers and for the people walking around downtown. Nobody likes being surrounded in semi-trucks and their smells and noise when they're trying to walk around downtown shopping. Keepiing them on a freeway in one place is the best bet there. Downtown Seattle would be screwed if it were suddenly overrun by semi-trucks.

That said, I'm skeptical that the tunnel will work nearly as effectively. With the financial pinch WSDOT and the City of Seattle are in right now I  don't understand why they don't consider the cheapest option- retrofitting the existing viaduct to last for another 50 years. Maybe at that point we'll have made the necessary improvements to multi-modal transport that an all-rail port or something can be created, but at this point in time Seattle needs its viaduct and getting rid of it for something that's even half as good is going to absolutely suck for the Port.

The benefit is that since I'm a former resident of Tacoma and like watching that town do well, it might get increased Port Traffic as it has none of these traffic issues and they're actually improving things with the new SR 167 to 509 connector (as well as improving rail access) and finishing the SR 167 freeway upgrade. We'll see what happens.

/end rant

mightyace

My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

J N Winkler

Dose of realism:  WSDOT has advertised a major contract to replace the Alaskan Way Viaduct between South Holgate Street and South King Street.

http://www.bxwa.com/bxwa_toc/pub/1573/s36_alaskan_way_viaduct_replac_61897/info.php

Signing plans are in Volume 5 (of 11).

As a point of interest to former MTR regulars, the signing plans were prepared by Scott Kuznicki, who used to post to MTR regularly but has not done so for about three years.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Landshark

Winning team promises to build a wider Highway 99 tunnel, a year sooner

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2013636817_99tunnel10m.html

The Highway 99 tunnel would be at least two feet wider than expected, and could open nearly a year before the state requires, according to details about the winning bid released Thursday.

brownpelican

It's a done deal: Governor signs the contract for the tunnel, dubbed "the world's largest diameter deep-bore highway tunnel..."

http://www.seattlepi.com/transportation/432864_tunnel6.html

And here's a gallery of photos of the viaduct, courtesy of the paper.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/gallery.asp?SubID=5969&page=1&gtitle=P-I%20archives%3A%20Alaskan%20Way%20Viaduct

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.