Routes that are easy to clinch by accident

Started by hotdogPi, May 14, 2017, 10:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgolub

Quote from: roadman65 on May 15, 2017, 08:40:57 AM
NJ Route 59 in Cranford, NJ.  Its route is not only short, but is mostly under the NJ Transit Raritan Valley Line just connecting NJ 28 to parallel South Avenue and continuing Lincoln Avenue.

Also NJ 62 and NJ 64.  Over on Long Island, Port Washington Boulevard (NY 101) is only a few miles, so it's pretty easy to do.

bzakharin

NJ 32 is short enough that most people taking the NJ Turnpike to/from exit 8A have clinched it. And the NJ Turnpike itself, not because it's short, but because it's the through route for long distance traffic on the northeast corridor.

roadgeek01

I got some more

• Airport Connector (Harrisburg) (Internally signed as PA-3032)
  • I-283
  • I-176 (PA)
pork bork my hork

idk what it means either

PHLBOS

While I'm not sure these and previous ones are clinched by accident per say, but rather clinched without even trying or much effort.
Off the top of my head (& ones I don't believe were yet mentioned):

I-76 (NJ only)
I-291 (both CT & MA)
I-579 (PA)
I-676 (in either NJ and/or PA)
I-691 (CT)

MA 25
Lowell Connector

NJ 19
NJ 83
NJ 347

PA 581

Quote from: 1 on May 14, 2017, 10:55:23 AMCan be done without trying, but not as easy as the first group

NH 33, NH 38, MA 40, NH 88, MA 99, MA 127A, MA 128, MA 129A, MA/NH 150, NH 151, I-293 NH, I-495 MA

Routes in italics are routes I have clinched.
I don't believe that either MA 128 or I-495 in MA falls within the OP's criteria.  Sure, those routes can be clinched within a 2-hour period; but I believe the OP's calling for routes that are clinched on a more frequent basis.  That said, most regular users of I-495 in MA (& even MA 128) are not on it for its entire length.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

VA 132Y as it connects the Colonial Williamsburg Official Information Center with the rest of the world.

FL 681 in Venice, FL.  Its only a elongated ramp between I-75 and US 41 as the two are parallel routes.  It serves no other purpose except maybe now with it being allowed to front development it may be used for local use.  However, to go between I-75 SB and US 41 to Venice and Laurel you will have to clinch it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

akotchi

A couple on the top of my head . . .

Truck U.S. 1&9 in New Jersey, especially northbound (official detour during Skyway closure)

PA 213 (Bucks Co. PA): I routinely take it from the Feasterville area to the Langhorne area.

AC Expressway

Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

bzakharin

Quote from: akotchi on May 16, 2017, 10:17:15 AM
AC Expressway
True, but here's a tip. If you want quicker access to more beaches and cheaper parking, take Exit 2. Heck, if it's off-peak you just follow Albany Ave all the way to the boardwalk, park at a parking meter and go right in, with a bathroom facility right there too.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: kurumi on May 14, 2017, 03:28:30 PM
I-381 belongs to the group of "cannot legally drive without clinching"

Also I-865 in Indiana...and I-189 in Vermont, but clinching I-189 would have to be more deliberate.

I'd also consider adding I-294 to this list for anyone trying to get around Lake Michigan and bypass Chicago.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

GaryV

I'm not sure if these are "by accident" - because people intend to drive there, they don't just find themselves on the roads - but there are several Michigan highways that are quite easy to clinch.

M-14 - if you're going from the northern Detroit suburbs to anywhere west of Ann Arbor.

M-117 - because if you get on it, you're probably headed all the way to the other end of it.

Highways like M-116, that exist only to get to a State Park.

formulanone

AL 759 and AL 291 are a curious pair that fall into this group. One is an extension of I-759, and the other just connects it back to US 278/411 in Gadsden.

Max Rockatansky

CA 153 if you ever happen to be traveling to Gold Rush County...only .55 miles.

roadman65

NJ 165 in Lambertville, NJ.  Is not NJ 29 a one way SB only street south of NJ 179 so you must use NJ 165 NB and NJ 179 SB to circumnavigate around it?  Anyway, NJ 165 has always been a short route after NJ 29 got rerouted to end in Frenchtown once upon a time.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

DandyDan

In Nebraska, in general, a lot of the spur routes can be clinched without trying.  Of course, you'd have to have a reason to go to whatever town you were going to.  The same goes for a lot of the link routes off of I-80.  As far as numbered highways go there,  I suspect a lot of people who live in my old hometown of Papillion can clinch NE 85 without knowing it.  I also think NE 110 would fit, as that is the route from US 20 to NE 35 for the Sioux City to Norfolk traffic.

As far as Iowa goes, the best one I can think of besides IA 165 is IA 160, with IA 81 also easy to clinch.

Four of them I have done in Minnesota are MN 20, MN 80, MN 269, and MN 316.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

dgolub

How about the Throgs Neck Expressway (I-695) going between the Throgs Neck Bridge (I-295) and I-95?

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: dgolub on May 17, 2017, 08:57:16 AM
How about the Throgs Neck Expressway (I-695) going between the Throgs Neck Bridge (I-295) and I-95?

And for that matter, I-478 (Battery Park Tunnel)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

ftballfan

Quote from: GaryV on May 16, 2017, 04:40:01 PM
I'm not sure if these are "by accident" - because people intend to drive there, they don't just find themselves on the roads - but there are several Michigan highways that are quite easy to clinch.

M-14 - if you're going from the northern Detroit suburbs to anywhere west of Ann Arbor.

M-117 - because if you get on it, you're probably headed all the way to the other end of it.

Highways like M-116, that exist only to get to a State Park.

M-231 is very easy as well. Only one intersection between its ends. Unsigned I-296 is an easy one as it's just a three mile section of US-131.

tribar

NJ/NY 495. Basically just the Lincoln Tunnel and a connector to the NJ Turnpike.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on May 17, 2017, 11:43:00 PM
I 590 is pretty much impossible NOT to clinch. Only around 4 miles with 4 (relatively) insignificant exits.
I-590 is probably the interstate I travel on most often after I-87 and I-90, and yet I almost never clinch it all the way when I travel on it (in fact, the only time I have in recent memory is when I was taking pictures of some new signs on it).  In fact, for me, traveling the portion between exits 1 and 3 is quite rare, and always has been.  And I'd hardly call Monroe Avenue "insignificant", especially since it has the flagship Wegmans.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.