News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwi_navigator_1181

Interstate updates for my neck of the woods as construction season begins "winding down:"

Work on I-94 throughout the state continues, including now the stretch between I-65 and the Toll Road interchange. From Kennedy Avenue to I-65, concrete restoration continues (westbound lanes, with eastbound slated for next year), and from I-65 to Michigan, work is continuing for full blown resurfacing. Work is still scheduled to finish in November.

On I-65, work progresses nicely on the widening project between US 30 and Indiana 2. Bridge work over US 231 and Indiana 2 is on schedule, with beam installation starting in the coming weeks. INDOT Northwest posted photos on their Facebook page showing work done south of US 231. Median excavation has given way to asphalt paving, which started earlier this week. As for the stretch between US 231 and US 30, that portion of the project was held off until next year because of a "greater need" for this section. If I were to venture a guess, I wonder if it has to do with the concrete of the driving lanes; the lanes feel a bit ratted and uneven...VERY bumpy for a concrete surface. Work is still scheduled to end December 2018.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

ysuindy

INDOT to reconstruct North Split in Indy - possible late 2019 construction start

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/INDOT/bulletins/1b7fc08

silverback1065

the south split is also going to be reconstructed eventually, it's in the concept phase now.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ysuindy on September 19, 2017, 12:00:54 PM
INDOT to reconstruct North Split in Indy - possible late 2019 construction start

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/INDOT/bulletins/1b7fc08

I hope they fix that northbound curve on I-65.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

tdindy88

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 19, 2017, 12:11:03 PM
the south split is also going to be reconstructed eventually, it's in the concept phase now.

What exactly of the South Split needs to be rebuilt? They redid the highway from Washington Street down to the split and redid all of the bridges there. Plus the bridges in the actual interchange have been rebuilt. Other than maybe repaving some of the asphalt stretches left in that interchange I don't see how it can be redone more. Not certainly like the North Split which does indeed need to be rebuilt from the ground up.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 19, 2017, 09:00:53 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on September 19, 2017, 12:11:03 PM

What exactly of the South Split needs to be rebuilt? They redid the highway from Washington Street down to the split and redid all of the bridges there. Plus the bridges in the actual interchange have been rebuilt. Other than maybe repaving some of the asphalt stretches left in that interchange I don't see how it can be redone more. Not certainly like the North Split which does indeed need to be rebuilt from the ground up.

i-70 needs to come in from the right, not the left.

tdindy88

Of course if they redo the North Split exit so that I-70 traffic leaves from the left and I-65 north traffic from the right then that problem is taken care of. Not sure if that is exactly part of the plan though.

jhuntin1

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 19, 2017, 09:50:29 PM
Of course if they redo the North Split exit so that I-70 traffic leaves from the left and I-65 north traffic from the right then that problem is taken care of. Not sure if that is exactly part of the plan though.
Maybe not the plan, but I think it would provide the best option to build longer ramps with gentler curves to decrease the number of accidents that happen there. I can't imagine how they could do that easily, though, without extended road closures.

Speaking of closures, Hyperfix had the entire 65-70 multiplex closed for several months and life went on. If they could come up with a solid plan that, once the initial groundwork was done with the usual lane closures, could complete the project in 4-6 months instead of two years if they closed it entirely would INDOT go for it?

DevalDragon

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on September 16, 2017, 07:14:22 PM
Interstate updates for my neck of the woods as construction season begins "winding down:"

Work on I-94 throughout the state continues, including now the stretch between I-65 and the Toll Road interchange. From Kennedy Avenue to I-65, concrete restoration continues (westbound lanes, with eastbound slated for next year), and from I-65 to Michigan, work is continuing for full blown resurfacing. Work is still scheduled to finish in November.

They have flipped the 'suicide lane' to the westbound side and have started concrete restoration on the eastbound side. I thought it was kind of late in the season to do that, but they did. And I am very happy to see it as the eastbound lanes, especially near Cline Ave, have become very rough.

mvak36

Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

silverback1065

I knew about 65 and 70, but 94? why? what's the free alternate? us 12?

ilpt4u

Not against the tolling idea per say...

But the routes getting new investment money and new builds, like I-69 and US 31 -- why aren't they up for tolling? Why only the "old"/existing corridors?

As far as why I-94...hmmm...its a short distance in Indiana that does serve some Hoosiers, but really, its the Interstate Chicago-Detroit route, and especially the Multiplex with I-80, very heavy Truck Traffic -- its not a bad idea. IL should join with them on that, and toll I-80 more than just the Tri-State/I-294 Multiplex

silverback1065

I think it's to pay for the 6 laning of both routes not sure why 94 needs tolls

NWI_Irish96

I live 100 feet from 94.  Going to be hard to avoid tolls if they are implemented.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 19, 2017, 07:07:04 PM
Not against the tolling idea per say...

But the routes getting new investment money and new builds, like I-69 and US 31 -- why aren't they up for tolling? Why only the "old"/existing corridors?

As far as why I-94...hmmm...its a short distance in Indiana that does serve some Hoosiers, but really, its the Interstate Chicago-Detroit route, and especially the Multiplex with I-80, very heavy Truck Traffic -- its not a bad idea. IL should join with them on that, and toll I-80 more than just the Tri-State/I-294 Multiplex
if they toll it they then they will need high speed tolling and gate free lanes on the ramps.

silverback1065

I pictured what they did for the ohio river bridges all digital no widening needed.

Revive 755

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 19, 2017, 07:10:39 PM

Based on this FHWA website, I doubt tolls on I-94 would be allowed unless INDOT is going to completely rebuild it or use variable pricing.

Seems there's been enough construction on I-94 in Indiana lately that a rebuild could be avoided for a while.  Nor do I see tolling going over well with the locals unless there is some type of improvements going with it.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Revive 755 on October 20, 2017, 09:47:58 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on October 19, 2017, 07:10:39 PM

Based on this FHWA website, I doubt tolls on I-94 would be allowed unless INDOT is going to completely rebuild it or use variable pricing.

Seems there's been enough construction on I-94 in Indiana lately that a rebuild could be avoided for a while.  Nor do I see tolling going over well with the locals unless there is some type of improvements going with it.

I'm on board with variable pricing.  Semi trucks are $0.01 per mile between 6pm and 6am and $1.00 per mile between 6am and 6pm.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

nwi_navigator_1181

I get the sense that the tolling system won't go over so well unless the counties involved get a piece of the pie for local works. This will be a pretty complex issue for years to come, but if it does happen, my hope is that they keep it low for passenger cars (maybe 3 cents a mile, which doesn't seem like much until it adds up during peak travel periods).

One stretch of the Borman Expressway should be nearing completion soon. The stretch between Central Avenue and the Indiana Toll Road has a new asphalt surface layer on all areas except the inner shoulder (which is currently being worked on). Gone will be the concrete patches of road which were in place three years ago (I wonder if that work was done in preparation for this project?). All other portion of I-94 is on schedule to wrap up by the end of next month.

Year one of the I-65 expansion project is wrapping up as well, with construction fully focused on the stretch between Indiana 2 and US 231. Asphalt paving of the future third lane and inner shoulder is in progress north of the weigh station, with median excavation in progress south of that point. The bridges over Indiana 2, Wurtz Ditch, and US 231 should be finished by year's end. To help prepare for the US 30 to US 231 stretch, the entrance ramp from 109th Avenue to I-65 northbound will be closed Monday Night into Tuesday Morning for ramp repairs.

On a more local note, something is happening at the super busy intersection of US 30 and Mississippi Street in Merrillville. I'm trying to glean some details from INDOT, but it does appear they're adding a second left turn lane for traffic turning from westbound US 30 to Southbound Mississippi (toward Southlake Mall for reference). Whatever is going on, work is to be finished before winter. I bring this one up because it will make for some very tricky traveling during the weekends and into November, so plan accordingly if you plan to be out in the area.

Revive 755

^ To me - at least on weekends - it seemed US 30 at Mississippi Street needed the right turn lane converted into shared thru-right.

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: Revive 755 on October 21, 2017, 09:48:56 PM
^ To me - at least on weekends - it seemed US 30 at Mississippi Street needed the right turn lane converted into shared thru-right.

If you're referring to westbound, I agree. That would help improve the flow of traffic. For anyone who's blocked waiting for the right turn, US 30 Westbound is first in the sequence, so that would be a moot point.

It's very similar to US 30 Westbound at Colorado Street a mile further east. There's a "right turn lane"  that actually becomes the third through lane past the light. Although there's a right turn arrow in the pavement, there's no "ONLY"  marked in the pavement, and the traffic light up ahead implies that it's a shared thru-right (a light with a solid green ball with a right green arrow light closely spaced next to it). I'm surprised by how few drivers take advantage of this exploit during the morning commute (I do).

Great Lakes Roads

I don't know which thread I want to post this topic on, but here you go: a future I-67 corridor on U.S. 231...

Article:
https://www.duboiscountyfreepress.com/economic-development-group-announces-support-midstate-corridor/

It also seems that they are planning to add a third lane all the way to Anderson...

Article:
http://www.greensburgdailynews.com/news/extra-i--lanes-in-works/article_1c0d161d-a0dd-50f1-86c7-4b6c83f7b61f.html

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on October 23, 2017, 07:28:21 PM
I don't know which thread I want to post this topic on, but here you go: a future I-67 corridor on U.S. 231...

Article:
https://www.duboiscountyfreepress.com/economic-development-group-announces-support-midstate-corridor/.html

I thought I-67 was supposed to replace US 31 from I-465 on the north side of Indy, going into Michigan.  Sounds like the part from Washington to Indy would have to be duplexed with I-69 if this were to happen.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

silverback1065

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on October 23, 2017, 10:57:45 PM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on October 23, 2017, 07:28:21 PM

Article:
https://www.duboiscountyfreepress.com/economic-development-group-announces-support-midstate-corridor/.html

I thought I-67 was supposed to replace US 31 from I-465 on the north side of Indy, going into Michigan.  Sounds like the part from Washington to Indy would have to be duplexed with I-69 if this were to happen.

67 will likely be cosigned with 31 one day, the southern 67 corridor along 231 will not happen.  just some bs that keeps coming up.  there is no need for an interstate down there, a divided highway will be enough.  If 67 down there does happen, it wouldn't be for several decades.  think of any project that needs to be done in Indiana, and it's more important than this 67 idea.  as close as this is to 69, i see no point in doing this. 

silverback1065

has anyone noticed the new signs they're putting up around indianapolis on the interstates have this massive gap in between the shields and the name of the road on the bgs? 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.