News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Pulaski Skyway to close to NY Bound traffic for two years starting in 2014

Started by SteveG1988, January 11, 2013, 07:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

NE2

Solution: temporarily remove tolls from I-78. Since 139 eastbound will have less traffic, give it less time at the Jersey Avenue light. Build a temporary (almost) free-flow ramp from I-78 east to 139 west next to Jersey Avenue, giving traffic a route to Tonnelle Circle.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SteveG1988

Quote from: NE2 on January 11, 2013, 07:37:21 PM
Solution: temporarily remove tolls from I-78. Since 139 eastbound will have less traffic, give it less time at the Jersey Avenue light. Build a temporary (almost) free-flow ramp from I-78 east to 139 west next to Jersey Avenue, giving traffic a route to Tonnelle Circle.
The problem is, the road is not configured to allow for that, since I-78 turns into a NJTP extension, there are free flow ramps from the extension to the turnpike, and toll ramps for traffic exiting the toll system.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

NJRoadfan

They plan on restriping the eastbound shoulder of the Newark Bay Extension as an extra lane to carry the detoured traffic. I don't see why they can't figure out a way to reverse traffic for just the morning hours. The crossovers can be placed completely out of the construction zone.

Alps

Quote from: NJRoadfan on January 11, 2013, 07:42:52 PM
They plan on restriping the eastbound shoulder of the Newark Bay Extension as an extra lane to carry the detoured traffic. I don't see why they can't figure out a way to reverse traffic for just the morning hours. The crossovers can be placed completely out of the construction zone.
That's actually been studied as one of the many, many alternatives. This is a lot simpler and, as I've said elsewhere, as long as you adjust the signal timing on Jersey Ave., more traffic using I-78 actually won't make things that much worse. The real bottleneck is NYC constraining traffic through the tunnel and backing up through the tolls. Now, yes, I-78 has its own bottleneck, which hopefully the reinstitution (albeit temporarily) of the third EB lane will help. It could also be a managed lane, open as needed during heavy traffic conditions and kept as a shoulder otherwise, but I have 0 clue as to how far that idea went and who was for or against it.

hbelkins

I'd love to drive (or ride as a front-seat passenger) the Pulaski Skyway.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Duke87

I'm assuming the seemingly obvious option of making it one lane each way isn't being done due to the roadways being too narrow to install a temporary barrier in the middle?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

NE2

Quote from: SteveG1988 on January 11, 2013, 07:41:27 PM
The problem is, the road is not configured to allow for that, since I-78 turns into a NJTP extension, there are free flow ramps from the extension to the turnpike, and toll ramps for traffic exiting the toll system.
Keep the toll booths but charge nothing, like on the Masspike west of Springfield and the NY Thruway to/from I-88.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NJRoadfan

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on January 11, 2013, 09:26:57 PM
I'd love to drive (or ride as a front-seat passenger) the Pulaski Skyway.
Come visit.
Quote from: Duke87 on January 11, 2013, 11:22:02 PM
I'm assuming the seemingly obvious option of making it one lane each way isn't being done due to the roadways being too narrow to install a temporary barrier in the middle?
Definitely. Reversible was the only option for that.
Quote from: NE2 on January 11, 2013, 11:29:59 PM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on January 11, 2013, 07:41:27 PM
Keep the toll booths but charge nothing, like on the Masspike west of Springfield and the NY Thruway to/from I-88.
Between 14 and 14C, I assume? Why would the Turnpike agree to lose revenue just because NJDOT needs to maintain its bridges? How about freezing toll hikes on the Holland Tunnel for the duration of the project instead?

Mr. Matté

Quote from: NJRoadfan on January 11, 2013, 11:43:11 PM
Seems the plan is getting some flack from the general public: http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2013/01/njdot_responds_to_angry_motori.html

nj.com commentors and Jeff Tittel aren't exactly the best people to give the public's overall opinion on things.

NE2

Quote from: Steve on January 12, 2013, 12:10:46 AM
Why would the Turnpike agree to lose revenue just because NJDOT needs to maintain its bridges?
NJDOT would pay the Turnpike to do it.

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on January 12, 2013, 01:11:27 AM
Why would the Turnpike agree to lose revenue just because NJDOT needs to maintain its bridges?
You overestimate how much NJDOT cares about traffic issues. They will do their best to accommodate traffic, but I'd be shocked if they threw a bone to the Turnpike unless the NJTA is going to lose revenue. Since, if anything, they stand to gain it, expect no such deal.

D-Dey65

Incredible how many people there are recommending mass transit as an alternative, while ignoring the fact that it's just as overcrowded.

vdeane

Why not just shift the lanes without a barrier?  NYSDOT did that with I-390 for a couple years near NY 17.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 12, 2013, 11:56:49 AM
Incredible how many people there are recommending mass transit as an alternative, while ignoring the fact that it's just as overcrowded.

That's a reflexive suggestion in many parts of the world.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hbelkins

Another good argument against having toll road agencies separate from the state DOT.

Interstatefan78

That wouldn't work out beacuse I-78 signs from exit 14-14c are in the NJTP authority style, and this scenario would require NJDOT to run I-78 from the PA/NJ border at the delaware river bridge between Williams Township, Pennsylvania, and Phillipsburg,NJ Delaware heights portion to the NJ-139/I-78 approach at Jersey City,NJ. Also this plan requires the fmr tolled section of I-78 from exit 14-14c to have a speed limit of 55mph to match I-78 speed limit from the Bergen ST overpass in Newark up to the Montgomery ST exit in Jersey City.

NE2

NJRoadfan

SteveG1988

I wonder if they thought about doing the project in a smaller scale, keeping the road open with 2 lanes (one each way) but decided that doing it two lanes at a time, closing one direction, would cause the least problems.

Close it for 2 years and get 1/2 of it redecked, then do the other side, versus taking 6 or more years to do it any other way, the time scale is just an estimate it could be more or less.
Roads Clinched

Roadsguy

Act -44?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

hbelkins

Quote from: NJRoadfan on January 13, 2013, 01:38:27 AM
Quote from: NE2 on January 13, 2013, 12:45:18 AM
what the fuck

A by-product of allowing children on a forum with decidedly adult topics.

He's probably referring to this:

Quote from: hbelkins on January 12, 2013, 03:58:03 PM

Another good argument against having toll road agencies separate from the state DOT.

Which I still stand by.

When you have an independent tolling agency involved, it's more interested in protecting its revenue stream than anything else. Any system-to-system connections -- say, eliminating the "Breezewood" at Breezewood -- takes cooperation of two agencies.

When the toll agency is a part of the overall DOT, as it was in Kentucky when the Division of Toll Facilities was a part of the Transportation Cabinet, then only one set of bureaucrats is making the decision and that decision is being made in the best interests of the traveling public, not in protecting toll revenue. If the Turnpike was a part of NJDOT, then the DOT could just  do what was required to keep traffic moving and there would be no worries about losing money, or one agency having to pay another.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: hbelkins on January 13, 2013, 06:56:51 PM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on January 13, 2013, 01:38:27 AM
Quote from: NE2 on January 13, 2013, 12:45:18 AM
what the fuck

A by-product of allowing children on a forum with decidedly adult topics.

He's probably referring to this:

No, I'm pretty sure it was in response to Interstatefan78's pile of gobbledygook that I can't make any sense of, and the parts I can make sense of don't have any bearing on this thread.  I'd say "what the fuck" was a pretty reasonable response.

hbelkins

Quote from: Kacie Jane on January 13, 2013, 08:20:36 PM
No, I'm pretty sure it was in response to Interstatefan78's pile of gobbledygook that I can't make any sense of, and the parts I can make sense of don't have any bearing on this thread.  I'd say "what the fuck" was a pretty reasonable response.

After reading that aforementioned pile of gobbledygood, I know less than I did when I started.

But given NE2's animosity toward me and my opinions, I'd still say my guess applies as well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.