News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

PilotOnline.COM (Virginian-Pilot): Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel to get commuter deal

QuoteCommuters who use the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel at least 30 times every 30 days will be eligible for $5 trips each way beginning in early 2014.

QuoteThe commission that oversees the 18-mile span between the Eastern Shore and Virginia Beach approved the discount today by an 7-3 vote, said Jeff Holland, executive director of the bridge-tunnel district. Currently, commuters must pay $12 one-way and can get a $5 trip back if they save their receipt and return within 24 hours.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 09, 2013, 09:33:00 PM
PilotOnline.COM (Virginian-Pilot): Quality of pothole-repair work questioned

QuoteThe contract said those fixes should work like this: Damage equal to or bigger than a certain size - 6 inches by 6 inches by 1 1/2 inches deep - must be patched immediately upon notice. Everything else must be fixed within two days. A report detailing how everything is done on time is due monthly to the Virginia Department of Transportation.

QuoteTheir evidence: Just look at the roads.

Quote"It's unacceptable and it's dangerous," board member Shep Miller said. He said he has blown three tires on local interstates since October, including two in January before a stretch of freezing weather made the situation even worse.

More from WVEC (Channel 13, ABC): Drivers wanting refunds for pothole damage may be out of luck

cpzilliacus

PilotOnline.COM (Virginian-Pilot): Portsmouth council set to give $50,000 to tolls lawsuit

QuoteThe City Council is moving toward making a $50,000 donation of public money to help fund a lawsuit that seeks to defeat the Midtown and Downtown tunnel toll project.

QuoteCouncil members directed staff Tuesday night to bring them a resolution by their next meeting authorizing the expenditure. The action would buck the advice of former City Attorney Tim Oksman, who had warned council members last spring and again in the fall against contributing to the lawsuit, saying the city would face retribution from legislators aligned with Gov. Bob McDonnell in the form of reduced state funding.

QuoteOksman left the city in December, however, after council members requested and accepted his resignation.

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: Traffic flow on I-66 at failing levels during rush hour

QuoteTraffic flow on key stretches of Interstate 66 is at failing levels during rush hour.

QuoteA new study finds the amount of time that I-66 is jammed could double to ten hours a day in each direction within 30 years.

Quote"The existing roadways are over capacity now," says Angel Deem, VDOT environmental project manager. "Through our analysis when we just ran the traffic model to say 'okay, if you were to add traditional highway lanes, how many would be needed?' and it comes out to nine additional lanes in each direction, which of course is not sensible."

QuoteThe Tier 1 Draft Environmental Impact Statement on multimodal options in the I-66 corridor from the Beltway to Haymarket finds that a "no-build" situation, which would leave things as-is, is simply not a viable option, either as more people move to the outer suburbs and commute or as people travel to places like Tysons Corner and the District.

QuoteAmong the problems identified beyond a lack of multimodal options is how hard it is to predict how long a trip will take.

WillWeaverRVA

They're just now discovering that? I could've told them that in 1990 and I was only six years old then.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

1995hoo

That study reminds me of the one that found that men get horny when we see hot chicks. They needed to pay someone to tell them that?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Washington Post:  Transportation conferees take up new plan

QuoteRICHMOND – House and Senate negotiators considered an entirely new transportation funding plan Monday, as they met for a second day of haggling over what could be the most important legislation of the General Assembly session.

QuoteThe 10-member conference committee is trying to reconcile House and Senate bills aimed at establishing a sustainable funding source for one of the nation's largest and most congested road systems – one on track to run out of construction funds by 2017.

cpzilliacus

Washington Post editorial: A transportation funding breakthrough in Va.

QuoteIT MAY STILL BE a work in progress, but the compromise transportation funding plan taking shape in Richmond has the look of a workable deal – and possibly a historic one – precisely because it challenges orthodoxies held dear by each party. To become law, it will still need an all-out push from Gov. Robert F. McDonnell (R), with help from Senate Democrats.

QuoteHammered out in negotiations by 10 lawmakers – five Republicans and five Democrats – the proposal would raise some $3.5 billion for statewide roads and rails over five years and $880 million annually thereafter. Northern Virginia, where a sclerotic transportation network threatens to choke the state's most dynamic regional economy, would get hundreds of millions more, including $300 million to complete Metro's Silver Line extension to Dulles International Airport.

froggie

Error #1:  there were only 2 Democrats on the conference committee, not 5.

Second, it should be noted that the conference agreement (approved by the House, to be voted on by the Senate today) would prohibit tolling of existing I-95 lanes south of Fredericksburg.

1995hoo

Quote from: froggie on February 23, 2013, 12:25:35 PM

Second, it should be noted that the conference agreement (approved by the House, to be voted on by the Senate today) would prohibit tolling of existing I-95 lanes south of Fredericksburg.

The article I saw in the Times-Dispatch said it prohibits VDOT from tolling unless specifically authorized by the General Assembly (in essence, they'll need a future law authorizing the specific tolls in question).

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on February 23, 2013, 12:25:35 PM

Wonder if there is an exception for PPTA projects to impose tolls?

cpzilliacus

cpzilliacus

froggie

QuoteWonder if there is an exception for PPTA projects to impose tolls?

Only if it were completely privately funded.  The transportation bill prohibits any state funds from being used.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on February 25, 2013, 07:06:35 PM
QuoteWonder if there is an exception for PPTA projects to impose tolls?

Only if it were completely privately funded.  The transportation bill prohibits any state funds from being used.

There are a lot of people in Virginia that are not pleased about the private involvement in these PPTA projects. 

Are they angry enough and are there enough of them to make a difference in the Virginia elections later this year? I don't know.

cpzilliacus

cpzilliacus

Washington Post editorial: Legislators who seem to like being stuck in traffic

QuoteVIRGINIA'S LEGISLATURE has enacted the most important transportation funding bill in 27 years, a measure bringing billions to fix Northern Virginia's crumbling roads and horrible traffic. Amazingly, 12 of 40 Northern Virginia lawmakers – nine Republicans and three Democrats – voted against it, thumbing their noses at the first politically feasible solution to rush-hour misery. Here are their names:

In the Senate: Richard H. Black (R-Loudoun); Adam P. Ebbin (D-Alexandria); J. Chapman "Chap"  Petersen (D-Fairfax); and Jill Holtzman Vogel (R-Fauquier).

In the House of Delegates: Richard L. Anderson (R-Prince William); Mark L. Cole (R-Spotsylvania); Barbara J. Comstock (R-Fairfax); Timothy D. Hugo (R-Fairfax); L. Scott Lingamfelter (R-Prince William); Robert G. Marshall (R-Prince William); Jackson H. Miller (R-Manassas); David I. Ramadan (R-Loudoun); and Scott A. Surovell (D-Mount Vernon).

QuoteIn thrall to anti-tax orthodoxy, many Republicans barely bothered to explain their no votes. Most clung to the fantasy that Virginia could cannibalize money for roads from other services, like education. But as Gov. Robert F. McDonnell, a Republican, conceded, the state's budget is already lean, and Democrats would not go along with robbing schools to pay for roads.

froggie

They got Surovell's opposition all wrong in that editorial.  He clearly explained his "no" vote at his Town Hall meeting a few weeks ago...it had little to do with the dollar figures and everything to do with what he says is needed VDOT and CTB reform.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on March 03, 2013, 10:03:54 AM
They got Surovell's opposition all wrong in that editorial.  He clearly explained his "no" vote at his Town Hall meeting a few weeks ago...it had little to do with the dollar figures and everything to do with what he says is needed VDOT and CTB reform.

Though as others have said, politics is about the "C" word - compromise.  There are many things I don't like about that compromise (and as you know, I don't live in Virginia), but it results in a modest increase in state transportation funding, and that is a good thing.

1995hoo

It looks as though there are going to be some lawsuits filed (by the usual suspects) seeking to have the transportation bill (or law, I guess, as by then it'd be signed) declared unconstitutional under the state constitution. I'm not privy to the details, but I understand some of the objections center around a constitutional provision requiring the General Assembly to enact the same tax rates statewide when imposing taxes. I have not bothered to do the legal research to look up the provision at issue, much less whether I'd think it might apply in this case. I do know that one of the attorneys who is likely to be involved, a guy down in the Richmond area, is a brilliant attorney who knows Virginia constitutional law inside and out.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 03, 2013, 05:36:12 PM
It looks as though there are going to be some lawsuits filed (by the usual suspects) seeking to have the transportation bill (or law, I guess, as by then it'd be signed) declared unconstitutional under the state constitution. I'm not privy to the details, but I understand some of the objections center around a constitutional provision requiring the General Assembly to enact the same tax rates statewide when imposing taxes. I have not bothered to do the legal research to look up the provision at issue, much less whether I'd think it might apply in this case. I do know that one of the attorneys who is likely to be involved, a guy down in the Richmond area, is a brilliant attorney who knows Virginia constitutional law inside and out.

I am not a member of the Virginia Bar (or any other Bar), but I don't think that objection is going to work, because the Commonwealth has been doing something similar for many years.  I recall reading someplace that laws enacted by the Virginia General Assembly are given great deference by the Virginia courts (perhaps more than in some other states), and are presumed to be constitutional.

I do know that § 58.1-1720 of the Code of Virginia allows the collection of an "extra" motor fuel tax in the cities and counties that are in the Northern Virginia Transportation District (all of that revenue goes to fund part of the Virginia share of the WMATA operating deficits). The online Code of Virginia says that this section is repealed effective 1 July 2013, but I presume that's because it has been put in some new section of the laws as part of the new transportation funding bill.

froggie

This year's funding bill didn't affect it.  It was basically a housekeeping bill enacted last year.  Effective this July, old Sections 58.1-1718.1 thru 58.1-1724.4 of the Virginia Code are replaced by Sections 58.1-2291 thru 58.1-2299.20.  Section 58.1-1720 has basically been replaced by Section 58.1-2295.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on March 03, 2013, 08:59:35 PM
This year's funding bill didn't affect it.  It was basically a housekeeping bill enacted last year.  Effective this July, old Sections 58.1-1718.1 thru 58.1-1724.4 of the Virginia Code are replaced by Sections 58.1-2291 thru 58.1-2299.20.  Section 58.1-1720 has basically been replaced by Section 58.1-2295.

Wow!  I am impressed!

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 03, 2013, 07:53:41 PM
I am not a member of the Virginia Bar (or any other Bar), but I don't think that objection is going to work, because the Commonwealth has been doing something similar for many years.  I recall reading someplace that laws enacted by the Virginia General Assembly are given great deference by the Virginia courts (perhaps more than in some other states), and are presumed to be constitutional.

That presumption does exist but isn't all that big a deal if indeed a law violates the Virginia constitution. A few years back our Supreme Court threw out the law in which the General Assembly purported to allow the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority to decide whether to impose certain regional taxes, for example. (The General Assembly can't delegate that power to an unelected body.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.