News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

How many counties have you lived in?

Started by bugo, August 26, 2018, 06:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Heh.  Glad my response in this thread matched by response in the old one.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

frankenroad

I've lived in these counties long enough to have drivers' licenses and voter registration:

Maryland:  Anne Arundel & Howard
Michigan:  Ingham
New Hampshire: Hillsborough
Ohio:  Franklin, Hamilton, & Warren

I've also spent full summers in Mackinac Co, MI and Dutchess Co, NY.

I worked full-time in Middlesex Co, MA and Prince George's Co, MD, for several years each, so it feels like I lived there, too.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Mrt90

Mapmikey

Roughly in order (and leaving out repeats)...

Bonneville County, ID
New London County, CT
San Francisco County, CA
Charleston County, SC
City of Norfolk, VA
Berkeley County, SC
Pickens County, SC
City of Virginia Beach, VA
Prince William County, VA
City of Fredericksburg, VA

I may have also technically lived in San Diego County, CA very early on...

csw

Marion, IN
Hendricks, IN
Tippecanoe, IN
Wabash, IL
DuPage, IL

Duke87

Quote from: jon daly on August 28, 2018, 09:32:31 AM
Just curious, what was it about coal country that you found appealing?

It's that those towns manage to combine the following rather attractive traits:
- Old buildings/old architecture
- Relatively low cost of living
- Dense development, such that the town is walkable
- But the town is also small, so you can also get in the car and leave it to go elsewhere easily without contending with traffic and such
- And relatively close to home, such that visiting friends and family is not onerous

This is only viable as a retirement theory though, because such towns lack any decent nearby employment and are probably not a particularly good place to raise kids either.

I also don't see my soon to be bride going for it (this is a significant change that has happened since my post in the old thread which is also why my tune about relocating sooner has changed).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

ftballfan

Three, all in Michigan:
Manistee County (born, raised, and currently live)
Ottawa County (college)
Washtenaw County

For a time, I worked in Mason County and I have spent plenty of nights in Kent County as my sister lives there

akotchi

Lancaster Co., PA (born, first 16 years of life)
Anne Arundel Co., MD
Queen Anne Co., MD
Centre Co., PA (college)
Bucks Co., PA (current)

I work in Mercer Co., NJ
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Big John

WI: Brown, Grant (college), Milwaukee, Washington, Waukesha, Waupaca
IL: Lee (internship)
GA: Cobb

jon daly

Quote from: Duke87 on August 28, 2018, 08:08:15 PM
Quote from: jon daly on August 28, 2018, 09:32:31 AM
Just curious, what was it about coal country that you found appealing?

It's that those towns manage to combine the following rather attractive traits:
- Old buildings/old architecture
- Relatively low cost of living
- Dense development, such that the town is walkable
- But the town is also small, so you can also get in the car and leave it to go elsewhere easily without contending with traffic and such
- And relatively close to home, such that visiting friends and family is not onerous

This is only viable as a retirement theory though, because such towns lack any decent nearby employment and are probably not a particularly good place to raise kids either.

I also don't see my soon to be bride going for it (this is a significant change that has happened since my post in the old thread which is also why my tune about relocating sooner has changed).

Thanks. Walkability isn't a major factor for me. But I understand what you're saying.

sparker

Counties where I lived/received mail/documents:
In chronological order of first residence:
CA: Los Angeles, Sacramento, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Placer, Sonoma, Napa, Orange.
OR: Multnomah.
"Convenience crashed" because it was closer to work and/or significant others:
CA: Marin, Fresno, Monterey.
OR: Clackamas.

KEVIN_224

Only two:

Hartford County, CT - Born and partially raised in New Britain, with an unofficial stay in Berlin
York County, ME - Wells (1974 to 10/1977) and Old Orchard Beach (9/2/1985 to 6/20/1987)

ce929wax

Allegan, MI
Orange, CA
Eddy, NM
East Baton Rouge, LA
Ellis, TX
Dallas, TX
Union, TN
Knox, TN
Blount, TN
Kalamazoo, MI

Scott5114

Quote from: jon daly on August 26, 2018, 02:06:34 PM
Does military service count? I never claimed residence in any of the states I served. Technically, I've never been a resident of a county. Connecticut ditched them 5 years before I was born.

But if you're not pedantic, I can say that I've lived in Hartford, Tolland, and New London Counties. I've served in Tom Green, TX, Monterey, CA, and  Christian, KY; but I'm pretty sure my barracks were in Montgomery, TN. I did a TDY tour at Fort Devens, Mass. but that was less than 90 days and should probably not be counted.

I count the time, just under a year, spent in Greene County, MO as living there, despite the fact that my legal domicile was in McClain County, OK at the time. I consider that if I'm sleeping in the same bed repeatedly, I'm keeping a large amount of my stuff there, and I have to sweep the floor myself, I'm "living there", even if I'm not voting or paying taxes there.

I've lived in four counties: Oklahoma OK, McClain OK, Greene MO, and Cleveland OK.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Hurricane Rex

2, Washington and Yamhill county.
In 2 weeks: Benton county is added.
All in Oregon

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

mapman1071

Current: Maricopa County, AZ
Previous:
Queens County, NY
Kings County, NY

DandyDan

In order, Dakota and Washington County in Minnesota, Kane and DeKalb County in Illinois (DeKalb County was strictly for college), Sarpy County in Nebraska and Cerro Gordo County in Iowa currently.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

formulanone

Bruce

GaryV

corco

Nine

1. Franklin, OH (88-89)
2. Kane, IL (89-97)
3. Ada, ID (97-03, 16-Present)
4. Valley, ID (03-06)
5. Pierce, WA (06-08)
6. Albany, WY (09-10)
7. Pima, AZ (11-12)
8. Powell, MT (13-14)
9. Lewis & Clark, MT (14-16)

Bruce

Quote from: GaryV on September 08, 2018, 11:51:16 AM
Quote from: Bruce on September 08, 2018, 06:54:41 AM
One.

You need to get out more.   :-/

Nah, I'm good. I spend a lot of my time in surrounding areas anyway, and my county is larger than some states (both in size and population).

hbelkins

Quote from: Bruce on September 08, 2018, 05:10:24 PM
Quote from: GaryV on September 08, 2018, 11:51:16 AM
Quote from: Bruce on September 08, 2018, 06:54:41 AM
One.

You need to get out more.   :-/

Nah, I'm good. I spend a lot of my time in surrounding areas anyway, and my county is larger than some states (both in size and population).

There's no crime in not moving a lot. I'm very happy to live in the county where I grew up, and have no desire to live anywhere else.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

paulthemapguy

5, all in Illinois.  But two of those are because I lived away from home for high school and for college.  Four are the counties that form the four corners of Chicagoland (no one really calls it that) :)
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.